Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Alternatives to the garter/bouquet toss

FI and I are not huge fans of the garter/bouquet toss. I kinda think the part where the groom takes off the garter is cute but the rest is awful. So I am looking for some alternatives or making it really funny. Most of our friends are married so their would be hardly anyone to catch them anyway. We are having a lot of children at the wedding maybe we can turn this akward tradition into a game for them to play. I don't know any ideas would be great!! Thanks

Re: Alternatives to the garter/bouquet toss

• Options
    Eh ... we didn't throw anything, no garter, no bouquet, nothing.  I don't think anyone missed it at all.
  • Options
    I am not doing anything. :) Sorry I am no help here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    There is no reason you can't wear a garter and have your new H take it off when you're alone. ;) If you don't like the tosses, don't do them. No one will miss them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Most everyone hates the garter/bouquet toss anyways - I would just skip it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    The generations dance is a nice alternative :)
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    We are not doing a garter toss, for the boquet I am gifting it to my birthmom who I have re-established a relationship with when I was a teenager, and at the reception we are having pinatas. Do something that means something to you, dont feel you have to do either if its not significant to you

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    -A children's game of "hot potato" with the bouquet?
    -Have the kids write down or shout out what they think a garter is... closest or funniest answer gets extra cake!
    -Take apart your bouquet and give individual flowers to parents/grandparents, all the kids, the wedding party, etc. as they leave, for a momento. 
    -You could shorten the process by wrapping the garter around the bouquet (at the stems) and tossing it into a group of both male and female singles.????

• Options
    For the bouquet, we are doing an "Anniversary dance" where any married couple gets on the dance floor, and the dj starts with "Anyone who has been married less than 24 hours leave the dance floor," continuing up until there is only one couple left, who have been married the longest, and I am giving my bouquet to them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_alternatives-to-the-garterbouquet-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:5acf2e04-b955-456c-84aa-1aff1a6d989bPost:137beded-beec-42db-b128-16a5193760f9">Re: Alternatives to the garter/bouquet toss</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>For the bouquet, we are doing an "Anniversary dance" where any married couple gets on the dance floor, and the dj starts with "Anyone who has been married less than 24 hours leave the dance floor," continuing up until there is only one couple left, who have been married the longest, and I am giving my bouquet to them.</strong>
    Posted by bellefille42[/QUOTE]

<div>My best friend did this, and Grandma loved it. Though, I suggested it to another bride, and she said no because the grandmother who it would have gone to had recently passed away. Just a thought to keep in mind if you might also be in that situation. </div><div>
    </div><div>Other than that, people really won't miss watching the awkwardness!</div>
  • Options
    Just skip it. Your FI can take your garter off later that night in your room ... alone. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We are doing the garter toss, but maybe not the bouquet toss. I ahven't decided yet.

Also, the kids 15 and under are having a teddy bear toss. That way they get to be included, and get to take home something special too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    You could do a teddy bear toss with the kids.  My only concern would be if a lot are really young and don't understand sometimes you don't win.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_alternatives-to-the-garterbouquet-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:5acf2e04-b955-456c-84aa-1aff1a6d989bPost:137beded-beec-42db-b128-16a5193760f9">Re: Alternatives to the garter/bouquet toss</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the bouquet, we are doing an "Anniversary dance" where any married couple gets on the dance floor, and the dj starts with "Anyone who has been married less than 24 hours leave the dance floor," continuing up until there is only one couple left, who have been married the longest, and I am giving my bouquet to them.
    Posted by bellefille42[/QUOTE]

We did this.  My grands won the bouquet and everyone thought it was a nice change-up from the typical garter/bouquet.  Besides, I've got a terrible throwing arm and my husband has issues going under women's clothing while their fathers are watching.  Ain't he silly:-P
  • Options
    we're not doing anything.

one of our friends gave her bouquet to the woman who had been married the longest (groom's grandma)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we did a quick garter removal, nothing obscene, and then had all the ladies, married and single on the floor for the bouquet toss and had lottery scratch off tickets attached, then all the men up to do the same thing with the garter. Had alot of people get involved since we had the dj announce it was for lottery tickets, not the normal embarrassing things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards