Snarky Brides
Options

Dog Training Question

So Nelson is a good-natured, sweet puppy. He seems timid most of the time, but lately he's been getting a bit aggressive in certain situations.
Last night he was playing with a chew-toy on his bed and his constant moving was steering him close to the stairs. I went to move the bed backwards so that I could gate off the stairs, and as soon as I grabbed the bed, he growled and tried to bite my hand.

I've only ever trained a shih-tzu (sp?) before this and all of his mannerisms were quite a bit different. I'm getting mixed reviews from others on how to handle this, and most of them seem to train their dogs by being more aggressive than I would ever be. For anyone who's experienced this, how did you correct the situation?

Re: Dog Training Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What kind of a dog is Nelson, Karlee?
    panther
  • Options
    Its a common reaction in puppies, I would nip it in the bud asap. 

For my dog, I did a lot of taking the toy from her and making her wait for it.  When she growled or nipped at me, i "fake bite" her with my hand.  Thats making like a claw and lightly poking at her.  If she continues I would subdue her with the same type of action and make her calm down.  Basically the upper part of her back where the mother would pick them up from.  I (lightly and with no anger involved) basically hold her on the ground until she calms down.

I cant tell you how important it is to do this without any aggravation or anger and not to use any force. The point is to take the attention away from the toy, not to hurt her.

It takes awhile for them to learn it, but it worked for toy and food issues for me.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    You've got to establish your dominance.  You're the pack leader, you're allowed to take his bed, toy, food, whatever.  And you're the one who allows him to have everything.  

There are a couple short term fixes but you've got to figure out what right for you and your pup for establishing pack order. 
  • Options
    Also- I should add that my tactics worked for me, but I have a pit and if I didnt get that stuff under control as a puppy, I would have had a dangerous dog.  They have a strong bite even as a pup.

Plus, the real biting issues occur during adolescence.  Starting at about 13 months.  They start to "mouth" things.  That was a great age to train as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does he know 'leave it'? I'd start with teaching him that, tell him 'leave it' and take his bone away from him, if he's good praise him and treat him for it. You can also try trading his bone for a treat, that way he associates you taking his bone away with something else good. Its definitely something you need to get under control soon, he looks like he might be a big dog and you don't want him thinking he's boss. Our rescue Ridgeback still has problems with this because his previous owners did nothing and as they get older its a bitch to get under contol!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Do you have a petsmart nearby?  You should go watch a class, to see if you like the trainer's style and consider taking him to puppy class.

Emma's about to finish up intermediate class at our local petsmart and we really like it. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dog-training-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:429520af-5770-4312-a715-da17b108ce2ePost:3c96730b-5e7a-4438-bc77-f15063f181dc">Re: Dog Training Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you have a petsmart nearby?  You should go watch a class, to see if you like the trainer's style and consider taking him to puppy class. Emma's about to finish up intermediate class at our local petsmart and we really like it. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Agreed. IMO all puppies/dogs need to go through 1-2 training classes. Even if its just for the socialization aspect. Petsmart and Petco sometimes have good trainers, but it just depends. Otherwise Google 'dog training' in your area and you should be able to find a good trainer nearby.
  • Options
    AATB, Nelson is a chocolate lab crossed with a husky.

The vet told us that he's going to be big, probably 100 lbs. I've got small nieces and nephews and I really, really don't want him to keep this up. Blue, how long did your pit take to pick it up? I'm definitely trying to get this dealt with correctly as it happens.
  • Options
    Its really important to teach young kids that dogs need their space as well. I'd tell them if they are over that if the dog is on his bed, eating, or has a bone not to mess with them. Dogs are sometimes scared and don't know what to do with little kids and you don't want an accident.

Look up NILF (Nothing in life is free) training, its a good place to start.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dog-training-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:429520af-5770-4312-a715-da17b108ce2ePost:1994be74-be66-46b3-8b51-3abd3d49f0a0">Re: Dog Training Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]You've got to establish your dominance.  You're the pack leader, you're allowed to take his bed, toy, food, whatever.  And you're the one who allows him to have everything.   There are a couple short term fixes but you've got to figure out what right for you and your pup for establishing pack order. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

That's the weird thing. When I try to get Nelson's attention, he seems to stray off into la-la land. Seanzoid doesn't talk anymore firmly than I do, but he always listens to him- it's like he doesn't think he has to respect me as much and I am not sure why?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dog-training-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:429520af-5770-4312-a715-da17b108ce2ePost:2f830ea1-8b7a-4dd2-b6db-be9b69a86fd0">Re: Dog Training Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its really important to teach young kids that dogs need their space as well. I'd tell them if they are over that if the dog is on his bed, eating, or has a bone not to mess with them. Dogs are sometimes scared and don't know what to do with little kids and you don't want an accident. Look up NILF (Nothing in life is free) training, its a good place to start.
    Posted by graceb15[/QUOTE]

You bring an excellent point. I'll have to make sure to educate them around him as much as I'm training him. They're at that age where they push the boundaries, too, so I don't want them to go pulling on his ears or bothering him while he's eating.
  • Options
    My dog trainer advocated teaching leave it and take it so that you are always in control of all their resources (such as food and toys)...that will give you dominance over the pup and they will learn patience.  We also teach our dogs to wait for their food and usie "too bad" as a punishment (you basically put the dog in time out when they growl, show aggression, or otherwise fail to respond to a command).  The trainer also strongly advocated not leaving toys around for the dog to pick up freely.  When not playing with your dog, put them away so that you also control when play time starts and stops. 

Adorable puppy by the way!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dog-training-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:429520af-5770-4312-a715-da17b108ce2ePost:0536fa93-1c81-41c6-b69e-dc0c6948e0f7">Re: Dog Training Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog Training Question : That's the weird thing. When I try to get Nelson's attention, he seems to stray off into la-la land. Seanzoid doesn't talk anymore firmly than I do, but he always listens to him- it's like he doesn't think he has to respect me as much and I am not sure why?
    Posted by KarleeKrause35[/QUOTE]

<div>It's because he doesn't think you're in charge.  You need to become the giver of good things. </div>
  • Options
    When my jack russel was a puppy, my mom use to always put her hand in Stella's food dish and told her sit. If Stella nipped at her or didn't follow the sit/watch command, the food got taken away. She nipped twice and was done. Did the same thing with my lab/rottie and she learned fast. It showed we were dominate. When I have my niece, I take her over to the dishes and put her hands in (under mine and when I'm right there) to teach the dogs that Audrey is dominate to them. Stella use to be jealous over her toys too. We would just take them away til she did a sit/stay or we put her in a submissive position and she stayed. I did just like Blue did with the hand-bite
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your great advice!
    I'm going to put a lot of this into practice. My first dog never chewed or bit at all and so I feel like I'm getting a dose of reality here.

ALSO, I'm babysitting that dog this weekend. (He stayed with my parents when I move out.) He doesn't sleep or stay in a crate at any time, but Nelson does. I'm going to have to run a couple of errands on Saturday morning, and Nelson will have to be in there while I do it. Is it unwise at all to leave Olie there (not crated?) I know I'm probably way over-thinking this, but I'm wondering if Nelson will go apeshitt knowing that Olie is free to walk around and he's not.
  • Options
    My dogs didn't listen to me for awhile (after Puck did all the time.)  We realized it was because of a change in who fed them every day.

This isn't an excuse, but be prepared for him to not listen quite as well.  Huskies are notorious for being stubborn.  Puckett very clearly knows what he's SUPPOSED to do when we say 'sit', 'shake', 'leave it', or whatever.  But he will often chose not to.  You just have to be very consistent with them.  If you let them 'get away' with something only a few times, they'll learn they can always get away with it.

our dogs NEVER get their food until they sit and wait.  It's made a big difference in how aggressive they are in general too. They know that they'll always be fed and taken care of... but it's on our terms, if that makes sense.
  • Options

I had two dogs at one point, one I could leave out and one I had to crate and I was always worried about the crated dog being jealous or going crazy and I was told that dogs don't experience jealousy so it should be fine. 

One disclaimer though, I came home one day to find both dogs out and running around my living room because my crated dog upended his crate and destroyed the bottom of it in order to get out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dog-training-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:429520af-5770-4312-a715-da17b108ce2ePost:22b197be-0305-4fcd-9db4-9d37821501be">Re: Dog Training Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dogs didn't listen to me for awhile (after Puck did all the time.)  We realized it was because of a change in who fed them every day. This isn't an excuse, but be prepared for him to not listen quite as well.  <strong>Huskies are notorious for being stubborn. </strong> Puckett very clearly knows what he's SUPPOSED to do when we say 'sit', 'shake', 'leave it', or whatever.  But he will often chose not to.  You just have to be very consistent with them.  If you let them 'get away' with something only a few times, they'll learn they can always get away with it. our dogs NEVER get their food until they sit and wait.  It's made a big difference in how aggressive they are in general too. They know that they'll always be fed and taken care of... but it's on our terms, if that makes sense.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

A guy I work with said the same, and I think that's part of what's going on. Usually he is so good and obeys completely. Yesterday he would look up when I said his name, and he'd just walk away. Co-worker went home at lunch and brought me the book "The dog whisperer" by Paul Owens and I think it should help. I'm actually a bit shocked and ashamed at just how much I didn't know.
  • Options
    Ditto what others have said and also be aware that with a dog, especially a big dog, the training is a constant, life long thing. Aggression isn't something you can fix in a weekend and then not worry about.
  • Options

Ditto others about establishing your dominance. Your doggie needs to understand that YOU are in control: bed, food (especially food), anything comes from you. 
    Good luck. KW is wise, its a lifelong thing, but the sooner you start the better off you are.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dog-training-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:429520af-5770-4312-a715-da17b108ce2ePost:704dac50-a7e7-4761-a362-84f98aa3334c">Re: Dog Training Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]AATB, Nelson is a chocolate lab crossed with a husky. The vet told us that he's going to be big, probably 100 lbs. I've got small nieces and nephews and I really, really don't want him to keep this up.<strong><u> Blue, how long did your pit take to pick it up? I'm definitely trying to get this dealt with correctly as it happens</u></strong>.
    Posted by KarleeKrause35[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I just got home from work and saw this.

As a puppy she caught on really quickly, but she is pretty submissive in nature and super smart.

When it started up again around 18 months, it just took some extra effort to get her back on track.

Now that she is 10, it comes up rarely, usually when we are rough playing.  She is not allowed to growl at me so if she does she goes right to the ground and the game is over.  I dont know if she is so well behaved due to the training or just her submissive nature, but it was important to me to get her right on track from the start.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would keep the dogs separate when one is in the crate and the other isn't, but it really depends on the dogs. We left Oz and my mom's dog in the same room when he was in the crate as a little guy, but we knew he wouldn't go ape shiit in there and my mom's dog was an old girl who wouldn't bug him. Since it sounds like your guy has some spunk, I think it might be easiest on him if he didn't have another dog to excite him while he's in the crate.
  • Options
    Depending on how young he still is, growl back at him. I know it sounds crazy, but we trained my parents' dog this way from the moment we took him from his mother - our growls replaced hers, and he knew we were in charge. I don't know if this works if they have been separated a while, though.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've grown up with pets. JD, our shih-poo (ha ha pronounced sh*t poo by some) is my fiance's first pet, ever! Spud, our second furry child as I call him, is a Jack-a-Bee (Jack Russell Terrier/Beagle). He's very independent compared to JD. You need to assert that you're the boss very early on. People are very sue-happy these days, and I don't want to get the pants sued off me because someone's kid or someone tried to play with the dog's toy. Have you looked into the training classes at Petsmart? I never did until Spud. He's just more independent than any other dog I've had so I think it's a good step.

ADORABLE PUPPY!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We just got a petsmart and I saw that they had puppy socializing classes. I signed Nelson up yesterday for next week and I'm so excited.
    Last night was a bit of a gongshow as Olie wants nothing to do with Nelson and Nelson wants to play so badly. I think it will be great for him to learn to play with dogs his age without being an assshole to them.

On a good note, Olie doesn't care about Nelson when he's in his crate. He's old and grumpy and just sleeps all day. But I gated off the hallway so that he can have his own area, just in case. Thanks so much everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards