Michigan-Detroit
Options

Negotiation?

Just wondering if anyone has been successful at negotiating a cheaper 'package price' at their venue. Saw a venue we love today but it will be out of our budget for the month we were planning for. If we move the wedding up a month we'll be just overe budget. I know you can't get something you don't ask for but I also don't want to come off as a bride with caviar dreams on a shoe string budget.

Thoughts? Tips?

Thanks.

Re: Negotiation?

• Options
    Odds are no, but you can see if they will also include something you want in that price such as linens.   I wouldn't expect much though.
  • Options
    My wedding was in february so I was able to negotiate extra savings or add ons, so I think it depends on if you have some leverage. Other possibilities are if you will be having a larger wedding, I would say probably 275+ guests, that could also be some leverage. Or if you are having it at a place thats not as popular for weddings? Otherwise, you may not see a budge on price, but they may be willing to add small things to the current package price?
  • Options
    I think with "all inclusive" venues, providing everything, you may run into difficulties.

It was my experience and what I have seen on the Knot, most often your best bet is to go in and let them know what your bottom line per person price is, and that quoted figure should be about 10% less than what you want to spend, since there are tack-ons like taxes and gratuities. Many places have a set package, but can delete things to bring the cost down.

As an example, if they offer buffets, with 2 entree minimum, ask if they'd offer a buffet with just one main entree, for less $. Or, delete something else.

But, if they have said they won't change their basic package, unless you are willing to switch to a Friday or Sunday event, or having it during "non-wedding season", they may not.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for your feedback. I was able to eliminate some items from the package and change from a plated dinner to a buffet to get a price that was in my budget. I also decided on a date in late February instead of late March, since they only offer off season pricing in January and February... Now we just need to sign a contract and put down a deposit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards