Second Weddings
Options

What's your wedding date? And more...

Good morning, ladies!

I have been posting on this board for a while and we've recently "lost" quite a few members as they've moved from singledom to marriage.  I suddenly realize that I don't know when people are getting married, so I thought these questions and answers might be a nice way to introduce myself to those I don't know and, hopefully, learn more about you.

What is your wedding date?  July 3, 2011
How many times have you been married?  Once
What year did was your first wedding?  1992
What are you doing differently this time around?  Biggest differences: (1) not a Church wedding; (2) I might wear a white tea-length dress this time (wore a very pale pink evening dress the first time); (3) much longer engagement this time -- 19 months vs 4 months.
What do you like best about this board?  I love the way ladies in this group appreciate individuality and, it seems, are much lower key about the entire process.  Plus, I really enjoy the maturity (emotional and chronological) and shared sense of humor. 

I hope to hear from you ... Thanks!

Re: What's your wedding date? And more...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  September 11th, 2010, three weeks  YIKES
    What year did was your first wedding?  95
    What are you doing differently this time around?  Marrying the right guy. Actually having a wedding with guests and a reception, last time around in courthouse, 5 mos prego in a white pantsuit.
    What do you like best about this board?  I love the way ladies in this group appreciate individuality and, it seems, are much lower key about the entire process.  Plus, I really enjoy the maturity (emotional and chronological) and shared sense of humor.  
    I as well love all these aspects about this board, I love that some real old timers come on here and give advice, like right1thistime, 2ndbride, lespaul and retreadbride etc.
    I loved the "IT'S NORMAL" list. Tme to post that again.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  Sept. 24, 2010
    How many times have you been married?  Twice
    What year did was your first wedding?  1998 (Couple years outside of high school, married for 3 months)
    What are you doing differently this time around?  Biggest differences: (Marrying my best friend and soul mate - because I love him :); Wearing a black dress - I look terrible in white; our wedding is truly a reflection of us

You phrased this so well - I think I will just say I agree :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AdelphiTNAdelphiTN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  Sept 10, 2010 - double yikes!

How many times have you been married?  once, for about 10 yrs

What year did was your first wedding?  1987. wow, soooo long ago.

What are you doing differently this time around?  Dated for a long time! It's the big joke among friends that i'm a fast mover - ha. What can I say, once bitten, twice shy (yes i'm singing that old hair band ballad in my head now). Getting married on the beach and having a small guest list (vs the giant church wedding and my giantly poofy sleeves).

What do you like best about this board? I can come here and vent - and not be judged, I get real practical, calming advice. Plus the ladies here know what's important - the marriage and the man, and know that the wedding is just the celebration of that. No one here is freaking out over wedding favors, lol.
  • Options
    carolinagal78carolinagal78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  9/10/11
    What year was your first wedding?  1999
    What are you doing differently this time around?  Biggest differences:
    1) not a Church wedding; (2) FI has 2 kids from a prev marriage so I'm incorporating them into the ceremony.
    What do you like best about this board?  I love that I'm not alone in something that is typically frowned upon. It's different than all the other boards where all the brides have to worry about is hair, favors, dress, DJ and etc. We all have been through a prev marriage and we carry that experience w/us. I think it makes us more mature :)
    image 114 Made the cut!
    image 84 Are ready to celebrate! image 20 Are missing out! image 10 Don't understand RSVP?!
  • Options
    ltykaltyka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  September 10th, 2010 (!!!)
    What year did was your first wedding?  1989 - for 17 long difficult years
    What are you doing differently this time around?  Much longer engagement (3 mos last time 17 mos this time), I'm NOT pregnant this time (!), Bigger wedding this time, as we're financially stable as opposed to post-high school!
    What do you like best about this board?  I love that any insecurity I have, I can read this board and see that other people feel the same way and it is completely normal.  I also love that most of the posters have had a lot of life experience and "don't sweat the small stuff"!
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

What is your wedding date?  October 6, 2009
    How many times have you been married?  Once before this time, for about 20 years.
    What year did was your first wedding?  1977
    What are you doing differently this time around? The last time we had about 80 guests, most of them extended family.  This time, we had only a dozen guests at the ceremony, about half of them immediate family.  We then had an at-home reception for 60 people, all of them friends.
    What do you like best about this board? The fact that it is low drama.
  • Options
    kittylabrokkittylabrok member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  November 6, 2010
    What year was your first wedding?  1978
    What are you doing differently this time around?  1.) I'm doing the planning, not my mother. 2.) my kids/his kids/grandkids are our wedding party What do you like best about this board?  While they are very happy for me and my FH, my nearest and dearest are probably less enthusiastic to discuss all of the details.  I can come here and be excited reading about everyone else's plans and occassionally share my thoughts and plans too.
  • Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  was July 16, 2010
    What year did was your first wedding?  1979 (I thought I was the longest but looks like a couple of others beat me)
    What are you doing differently this time around?  No church; civil ceremony.  Planned it MY way instead of my mom's and dad's.  No dad at this one
    :( - he passed away last October.  And most important - truly, madly, deeply in love.

What do you like best about this board?
      ♥
  • Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Oh yeah - engagement was short but the relationship has been much longer.  First husband we met in March of 1979 and got married in Dec. of '79.  Really did not know each other.  T and I have been dating for almost 7 years and living together for almost 4 now.  It's been a long, slow and sometimes frustrating process, but I am SO glad we took the time.  I'm known to be impulsive and it's gotten me into trouble more times than I care to admit.
  • Options
    teedoveteedove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date? July 7,2011
    How many times have you been married? twice
    What year was your first wedding? 1994
    What are you doing differently this time around? I am having a beach wedding, intimate with just me and my FH, and I let the Lord guide me and control everything in this relationship so I know it's right.
    What do you like best about this board? Wisdom..........
    Mrs. Jones= again Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    embracejoyembracejoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date? October 20, 2010 (eek!)
    How many times have you been married? once
    What year was your first wedding? 2003
    What are you doing differently this time around? Marrying the RIGHT guy (though I'm sure we all feel that way!), much shorter engagement this time (just shy of 10 months vs. almost 3 years the first time!), getting married in a sunset ceremony on a Hawaiian beach in the fall, wearing a short sexy dress (vs. the big white wedding in a historical mansion on the East Coast, in the snow, wearing a bridal gown with 9 foot veil!), having only 20 people there, instead of 75+, getting a professional cake and photography (didn't have that last time).
    What do you like best about this board?  I love that we've all "been there" and have much more realistic ideas about what to expect in marriage, and how to make it right this time around.  The first time brides are cute, but so many of them are focused on the WRONG things!  I like that we're all experienced and have gained maturity and wisdom through our lives that will certainly serve us well in our new marriages!
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  October 10, 2010
    How many times have you been married?  Twice, previously
    What year did was your first wedding?  1992
    What are you doing differently this time around?  Focusing so much less on the formality of it and so much more on the fun - which is kind of interesting, as this one is extremely "formal," but has far more "fun" components to it!   I'm also making sure I take the time to ENJOY planning and all of the "lead up" to the wedding that you often lose sight of when you're younger.  I've also made sure I KNOW my fiance this time around - for years, not months, prior to marrying.  I'm a lot more open about my doubts, too.  Sure, I "know" I'm doing the right thing at this point - but I'd be a fool to have two marriages behind me and not have ANY doubts.  I'm honest with him about them and we talk it out.  It's his first (and hopefully only) wedding and I want us to both walk into it with our eyes wide open.
    What do you like best about this board? I like that everyone is honest abou their feelings.  I like that we are all taking drastically different approaches to our weddings, but still manage to (on the whole) be on the same page as one another.  I like that I can say "You know what?  I am having a shower and bachelorette party and give the glare of death to anyone who thinks I shouldn't," and the ladies on here get what I mean.  More than anything, however, I like that most on this particular board realize that following some ridiculous set of "rules" that a stranger wrote one day on a whim isn't what getting married is all about.  No one is keeping score at the end and giving you a prize for having followed the most etiquette standards.   We all want a healthy, loving, forever marriage - and if it takes breaking a few rules to get it, then we're going to do it.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    tricia619tricia619 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  October 9, 2010
    What year did was your first wedding?  1996
    What are you doing differently this time around?  I am having a real ceremony, no courthouse this time, last time was with my 2 small children there, and with a person who I think looking back felt pressured because of our having children out of wedlock, this time I am marrying someone who wants to be married to me and to my children, no matter how difficult it is(they are teenagers:))

I agree with the last statement whole-heartedly, couldn't have worded it better myself. Plus now I feel normal again!
    Trish and Adam 10-09-10 Wedding Countdown Ticker image 78 Invited so far!
    image 66 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 1 What are you doing already!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?   November 28, 2010
     How many times have you been married? Once
    What year did was your first wedding?
    What are you doing differently this time around?    I am marrying for all the right reasons -- not because I see it as the next step in the relationship or because its what should be done.  As I am (cough, cough) a bit older this time (and hoepfully wiser) I, and my FI, are planning a wedding which represents who we are, and is a celebration of our love.  As opposed to the wedding that my XMIL thought I should have...
    What do you like best about this board?  I love, love, love the compassion and support that this board gives, and that differences of opinions are just that. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow alot of you ladies have weddings right around the corner! I can only imagine how excited you all must be feeling about now! Eeek!

What is your wedding date?
      November 20,2010

times have you been married?
      Just once

What year did was your first wedding?

What are you doing differently this time around?
       Acutually having a wedding! The first time was JOP and Kentucky Fried chicken at Mom's.
    This time I am finally "growed up." I am marrying a man who is "growed up." We are planning a very special meaningful ceremony for us. We have been together for 15yrs of many trials and tribulations, but our love and commitment for each other held out through it all. I will be in full bridal attire to join my life with the one I love.
  • Options
    christy29322christy29322 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  April 30, 2011
    How many times have you been married?  Twice
    What year did was your first wedding? first was 1988; second 1992
    What are you doing differently this time around?  Marrying for the right reasons! I was pressured into getting married at 20 because my parents were getting a divorce & my dad's family kicked us out of our house (they owned it). We had a small ceremony in his grandmother's yard. It was an abusive relationship with an older man & I was lucky to get out alive.
    Second time around I married someone "safe" -my age and I grew up with him...thought I knew him, but after 10 years found out everything in our relationship was based on lies. We had a church wedding with everything they way he wanted it...all I got to pick out was my dress.
    This time I'm marrying a younger (gasp!) man, because I love him & want to spend my life beside him. We're having a backyard ceremony/bbq reception at his parent's house, & definately doing some nontraditional things. (to tell the truth, I just want to be married, & skip the wedding!)
    What do you like best about this board?  Good, level-headed advice, and tolerance for different ideas! I like to lurk here!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

What is your wedding date?  July 8, 2011
    What year did was your first wedding?  1983
    What are you doing differently this time around?  Much longer relationship/engagement.  We have been together 9 years, engaged for almost 3. Getting married in a beautiful hotel with the reception on the top floor with floor to ceiling windows with an awesome view of downtown and the mountains.  We are having what we want, versus what others want.  Making a few little tweaks to make it a little out of the ordinary, but still elegant.  Having a cocktail hour and plated dinner instead of family cooking for a buffet.  Having a DJ this time. Focusing on having a memorable day filled with love, laughter, family, friends, food and fun!
    What do you like best about this board?  I love the openness and the willingness to share ideas as well as offering support when issues are posed.  I think we all have a much firmer grasp on what makes a relationship work as well as how life in general happens, or doesn't.  We are probably more laid back when things don't happen to go as we planned, which in most cases just makes for happier people.  We all have diverse backgrounds that seeing everyone's viewpoints is great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

• Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  April 3, 2011
    How many times have you been married?  Three - eeeps... Before you judge let me explain.  Tthe first marriage was to a spendthrift who owe the devil and everyone more money than realistically he could pay back, he was a drunk and abusive. He tried and failed to kill me at 7 months. One down.  Second was to a man I thought I knew, dated him 11 years before our marriage. Blamed our previous bedroom dysfunction while dating on me, found out he was gay. Oops  Third one, knew him just over 6 months, widower, much older after 9.5 years of marriage he went nuts and asked for a divorce 19 times in less than three months - it happened one month after what would have been the 10 year mark.  No one in my family counts the first two disasters.  So this will be a second marriage. 
    What year did was your first wedding?  1991, 1994, 1999
    What are you doing differently this time around?  First one the ceremony was held in the bar of a restuarant that the xH knew the owners, the dinner was there too. I paid for eveything except the dinner. 

Second one was at a hotel chapel, no reception just cake and champagne.

Third one was at a tavern, with at total of 10 people there.

This wedding is our dream wedding and the only one that should have occurred.  He first proposed when we were 21... I'm marrying the man I have always wanted to be married to, who I waited for but he moved on and so did I. We are together now and working on having the wedding we both always wanted and of course the marriage we want.

What do you like best about this board?
      I love the way ladies in this group appreciate individuality and, it seems, are much lower key about the entire process.  Plus, I really enjoy the maturity (emotional and chronological) and shared sense of humor.  

I appreciate that everyone is honest about their feelings.  I like that most on this particular board realize that following some ridiculous set of "rules" that a stranger wrote one day on a whim isn't what getting married is all about.  No one is keeping score at the end and giving you a prize for having followed the most etiquette standards.   We all want a healthy, loving, forever marriage - and if it takes breaking a few rules to get it, then we're going to do it.

I also appreciate the support that is given within this group of wonderful ladies!

Sorry this was so long...but I wanted you to know the whys... as it were.

• Options
    AdelphiTNAdelphiTN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Come on Angie, there's no judging HERE! You have us confused with the etiquette board. lol.  I love your story of finding your first love again.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Aldephi ~ Thanks... and yes I know there is no judging here.  lol

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  June 18, 2011
    What year did was your first wedding?  2002, for 5 years
    What are you doing differently this time around?  Having the wedding WE want to have, with MY ideas.  Having lots of color, lots of fun, lots of love, and the people we want to be there.  Marrying my best friend and someone I am completely myself around.  Being with a man who I can trust 100% and who loves me unconditionally.
    What do you like best about this board?  I can chat with other ladies who know what it's like to have been married previously.  I'm not judged, and the other ladies can relate to being lucky enough to find the true love of a lifetime, after going through some bumps in the road to find him.  The maturity level is higher, the focus is not always on minor wedding details, like the young brides on other boards (not that details aren't important!). :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  October 16,2010
    How many times have you been married?  Once for 24 LONG years...
    What year did was your first wedding?  1986
    What are you doing differently this time around?  Marrying the love of my life. I'm doing the planning this time instead of my mother.  I'm wearing an ivory tea length dress no veil.  We're having a smaller wedding of about 60 guests.  My son is giving me away this time and my daughter and future step daughter are in the wedding.  I'm doing a lot of diy projects and I'm having so much fun creating them, I really feel like this is a true reflection of us. This time around I feel the way I should have felt 20 odd years ago.  First time I was just going through the motions.   

I appreciate that everyone is honest about their feelings.  I like that most on this particular board realize that following some ridiculous set of "rules" that a stranger wrote one day on a whim isn't what getting married is all about.  No one is keeping score at the end and giving you a prize for having followed the most etiquette standards.   We all want a healthy, loving, forever marriage - and if it takes breaking a few rules to get it, then we're going to do it.

I also appreciate the support that is given within this group of wonderful ladies!

Sorry Angie, I tried to copy the quote, but, it wouldn't.  I couldn't agree more with you.  This is a great board
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ivygarlandivygarland member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  June 25, 2011
    How many times have you been married?  this is the 2nd for both of us
    What year did was your first wedding?  2002
    What are you doing differently this time around?  It's a different time, and a different life. I had a great princess wedding the first time, and this one is in our backyard. My son will be at this one, and he wasn't at the first. It will be a lot smaller.  
    What do you like best about this board?  I like the ideas for how to blend families and ideas, and how it seems real life comes into play perhaps a bit more.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What is your wedding date?  12/11/10
    What year did was your first wedding?  1996
    What are you doing differently this time around?
    Not Stressing!
    What do you like about this board?
    1) Wisdom
    2) No Drama
    3) The etiquette police are outnumbered by girls with reality sticks!  LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_whats-wedding-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:c5914721-a51a-4d7b-bf11-0f9c49821468Post:c195941b-faad-4a1b-a3c0-021cc048201b">Re: What's your wedding date? And more...</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is your wedding date?   12/11/10 How many times have you been married?   Once What year did was your first wedding?   1996 What are you doing differently this time around? Not Stressing! What do you like about this board? 1) Wisdom 2) No Drama 3) The etiquette police are outnumbered by girls with reality sticks!  LOL
    Posted by red1115[/QUOTE]

ROTF LMAO ... "reality sticks."  I love it!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are etiquette police?!  Glad there are "reality sticks" to offset them or I would be in trouble!  LOL

Great line!!  Red1115
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards