Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invite everyone from one group of friends?

I am getting married next summer and I'm just starting to form a guest list. There are three people from a group of friends that I really want to invite, but there is one other person in that group I don't want to invite. She has been rude to me on several occasions, and just isn't very nice or fun to be around. I love the rest of the people in the group and really want them to come, but really don't want this one person to come. I don't want to create drama or hurt anyone's feelings... At this point I'm thinking I kinda have to invite her. Is there anyway to get around that?

Re: Invite everyone from one group of friends?

• Options
    I didn't invite everyone from a group, but I was ready to let go of my friendships with the ones I didn't invite--we had drifted pretty far apart, and I feel like I kind of chose to shut the door on having a meaningful relationship with these women for good by not inviting them.  In my case, I had a group of 7 other women I was really good friends with in college, and I ended up inviting 3 of them plus SOs--they were the ones I had stayed in touch with the most and that I felt we had a good post-college relationship.  We're all scattered, geographically, and I decided that if I would not call someone up if I was in her town to get together, I didn't really need to invite her to the wedding.  
  • Options
    I'm not going to be inviting the entire group for all my group of friends. My childhood friends, I am inviting most but 2. 1 was absolutely terrible to me when we were growing up, I was the new girl  & and was this all through high school & even university. I am ready to severe ties with her. If you are not afraid of doing the same then I would say don't invite her.

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation. I have a group of 8 friends in nursing school and I am not inviting one and her boyfriend. I cannot stand either one of them and FI thinks they are not worth inviting. I even talked to one of my BMs since the friend is her roommate (they are not really friends either, just roommates for convenience sake) and she's totally fine with not inviting them. And to top it all off, they are right out of highschool so I fully expect drama to ensue.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    I was in a similar situation.  In high school there was a group of 9 girls that all hung out.  I'm only inviting 4 of those to my wedding.  Over the years I've lost touch with the others and while I see them on occasion, one was horrific to my FI and I and the rest I just simply don't have any relationship other than pleasantries.  I don't see them frequently and don't interact with them except at reunion type events so I didn't really care if they thought the friendship was severed by me not inviting them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've been that one person not invited out of a group of friends, and it sucks, but I understood why I wasn't invited.  If this person isn't someone you would hang out with solo, then don't invite them.  There might be drama, but weddings seem to create drama where there doesn't need to be any.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    There is nothing that dictates you have to invite everyone in a group of people, unless you are inviting a family that all lives together.

That being said, do you hang out with this person outside of when your group gets together as a whole? If no, then I wouldn't worry about inviting this person. If the two of you don't really get along and only see each other in a group dynamic, chances are the feelings are mutual and the person won't be offended. My group of friends are in the wedding party, but sometimes when we go out, we are joined by another group of people. Some of them are invited to the wedding and others aren't. It just depended on who we talked to and got along with. The ones who weren't invited are not offended and are nice when we go out. It's not a big deal for us, although that's not always the case. Be prepared for some drama to go down, especially if this person didn't see it coming.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, 

This girl is a part of a group who hang out regularly, but just not with me very much because I've been in school out of state.  I'm still not sure whether to invite her.  If I knew she'd behave herself and not be immature or rude to people at the wedding, then I'd definitely invite her. At the same time I hate drama... So we'll see how it plays out. I guess I still have some time to decide. 

Katie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards