Chit Chat
Options

Theme for your wedding? Trying to find mine....

I'm looking at all the sites for decor, cake toppers, etc. and I've realized that we don't have an "official" theme" for our wedding - hearts, bling, rustic, music, etc.  We have colors - black and white with touches of dark purple, and our flowers are calla lillites and delphiniums.  I feel like I need to have a theme so my stuff matches and flows, but I can't come up with one particular thing that I love because there's a lot I love.

Does everyone have a theme?  Would it look disorganized if we don't have a theme but go with stuff my FI and I like?  Advice please.

TIA.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Theme for your wedding? Trying to find mine....

• Options

We're doing a vintage glamour/art deco theme but you really don't need a theme. Colours are 100% ok.

Anniversary
  • Options
    We didn't have a theme.  We had colors (red and gold). 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Our theme is wedding.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_theme-wedding-trying-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:89c6f9cf-3f4d-4c43-840b-7d155d87116dPost:c5e0496f-32a9-4dcc-9733-c65c567c7289">Re: Theme for your wedding? Trying to find mine....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our theme is wedding.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

Mine too. I am mildly uncreative.
  • Options
    You don't really need a theme.  If you already know your colors you should be fine!  A theme can be something to guide people in the right direction or so that they can be directed to a site that offers what they are looking for (like DW, garden wedding, outdoor).

Our theme is lavender
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_theme-wedding-trying-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:89c6f9cf-3f4d-4c43-840b-7d155d87116dPost:c5e0496f-32a9-4dcc-9733-c65c567c7289">Re: Theme for your wedding? Trying to find mine....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our theme is wedding.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it! The whole theme thing always reminds me of Boy Meets World when Topanga wants a "Gone With the Wind" themed wedding and Cory is totally confused as to why a wedding needs a theme.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Thanks all.  At least I know I'm not a "bad" bride for not having a theme! :)  I'll stick with what I've been doing - coordinating with our colors.  My creativity comes out when I bake specialty cakes, but usually not anywhere else, unlike my FI.

ETA: Dumdum - Love your "theme"!  I think that's a great idea!!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Our theme was rustic, but really all that meant was getting married in a barn with a lot of wood objects :)

• Options
    We are doing a peacock theme. I got a lot of inspiration for my theme by looking at etsy. I was never planning on doing one. I had my colors picked already and they just went so well with the peacock theme.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Doing a formal garden type theme, but really didn't have one for a while. It just kinda evolved into the theme. I wasn't concerned about not having one.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I just started a pinboard, pinning anything that I liked, and was told that apparently my wedding falls under "rustic". As soon as there was a label on it, I started hearing that "rustic weddings are so 'out' /been done so many times" etc, that I have basically decided to tell people our colors and leave it at that.
    (Since when were weddings planned based on whats popular? Then again, I don't get why we follow traditions anyways, doing what other people have done because that's what other people did....yatta yatta /end soap box rant)

Back on point, though, the pinboard really helped me visualize what i liked. I never planned my wedding as a little girl, so I was lost once the "Tee Hee!" feeling wore off and I realized I had so much planning to do. I feel like I have more direction now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    algray- We have a lot of the same things pinned!  I love that look.  I've never been to a wedding that looked like that, but even if I did, I'd still love it!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We are getting married at a horse ranch, so I'm sure we will need to tie a few things in so it doesn't look out of place, but basically are sticking to just colors.

My fiance calls me Caterpillar (long story, but it has something to do with my big bug sunglasses and the Very Hungry Caterpillar book) so I think I am going to randomly put some caterpillars in the mix somewhere. Just as a little surprise, like in a couple centerpieces and a little guy on the cake or something...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_theme-wedding-trying-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:89c6f9cf-3f4d-4c43-840b-7d155d87116dPost:1572ce66-8350-4df4-a097-7f0f01f2d040">Re: Theme for your wedding? Trying to find mine....</a>:
    [QUOTE]algray- We have a lot of the same things pinned!  I love that look.  I've never been to a wedding that looked like that, but even if I did, I'd still love it!
    Posted by lindseyann410[/QUOTE]
    I've never seen one either, so I'm kind of winging it. I'm excited. If you're still floating around after October 2013, I'll post pics and show you how it turned out.
    : )
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_theme-wedding-trying-mine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:89c6f9cf-3f4d-4c43-840b-7d155d87116dPost:b061d717-29b7-4646-98e8-94f6b3dff3a9">Re: Theme for your wedding? Trying to find mine....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theme for your wedding? Trying to find mine.... : Beat me to it! The whole theme thing always reminds me of Boy Meets World when Topanga wants a "Gone With the Wind" themed wedding and Cory is totally confused as to why a wedding needs a theme.
    Posted by BunnyChii[/QUOTE]

I'm watching Boy Meets World right now! So naturally, this made me laugh out loud, and my FI just stared at me like I'm crazy..

As for theme, you really honestly don't need one. Just use your colors to make everything flow. :]
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice!  I think putting things together on a board would help me feel better "organized" and not so worried that I'm forgetting to do something.

Algray, like you, I wasn't one of those girls that dreamt of my wedding as a little girl either.  So all this sometimes becomes overwhelming.  Then I take a step back, have a laugh, relax and remind myself that our wedding will be great no matter what it looks like because I'm marrying my FI.

Thanks again everyone!  Great advise as usual. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad it helped! And that's the exact frame of mind to have. : )
  • Options
    I'm just trying to plan a nice wedding with good food!  That's about all I've got for a theme.  I'm planning a wedding, working full time, going to school full time... my brain doesn't have any room left for creative themes!  Just pick things you like and I'm sure it will turn out beautiful...
  • Options
    We don't have a theme, just colors.. Plum, Lavender and gray with damask accents.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards