Registry and Gift Forum

Is it bad to register for lots of very cheap items?

I went on the bed bath and beyond website and just started registering for things that I need / would love to have.  I've tried to keep myself frugal (if someone is going to spend $100, I think they would rather buy me a whole set of decently-priced dishes rather than 1 fine china plate, etc.).  I also know that most of my friends are not very well off and would appreciate a range of prices on the registry.

So far I have 65 items that are $30 or under (a lot of these are $5 -10, like a set of wooden spoons).  I also have 10 items that are $30-60, and 8 that are $60+ (the most expensive by far is the KitchenAid mixer).  Is this too many cheap things?  I am planning to invite about 100 guests (so about 50 couples).

FI's mom told me "people don't register for kitchen towels" and that I should take the really small things off and just buy them ourselves.  A lot of the things I want don't come in a set (i.e. individual serving spoons rather than a set) so I thought people could just buy the entire set, which would be 6 registry items, if they wanted to spend more than $5.

Also I don't think I can afford to buy all these "cheap" things myself.  I'm paying for the entire wedding since FI is international and isn't authorized to work.  I don't have to pay for food or rent since I live with FI's family, but my non-wedding budget is $37/week which barely covers gas.  However we are planning to continue living with FI's family for awhile after we are married, so I won't really need most of the stuff on my registry right away.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is it bad to register for lots of very cheap items?

• register for what you want, even if it's not expensive (although this is the one time to dream a little).  The one concern I would have would be that you don't have enough things!  Some people like to get a bunch of the smaller things and give it in a basket or something, so those 65 cheaper things might be scooped up and given by 6 people, leaving only 18 other things for people to give.  If you're having a shower as well, then you need even more gifts!  Unless you want cash, then don't add more things.  having a small registery gives people less options, so they are more likely to give you cash...  or something you don't want.
  • I say register for what you need. If someone's registry looked like yours, I'd probably get several related items (like a bunch of kitchen gadgets, etc) and put them together into one gift. Yes, individually these items are inexpensive, but that stuff can add up!

It sounds like you've registered with your guests in mind, which is the same thing we did. I think it's fine.
    Anniversary
  • Actually I initially started writing down everything I wanted, and it came up to about 150 gifts. FI's mom reminded me that I might not be happy receiving unnecesary things like a napkin holder but not getting the dishes and kitchen stuff that I really do need.  So I sorted the gifts by what I want the most, and then only put down the "important" stuff.  I figured I can add the extra stuff later if the registry is running low.

Do I have enough "expensive" things?  I don't know how many guests are planning to spend ~$100 on my wedding gift.  Right now I have 8 things in the $60+ range; they are all under $100 except the $150 vacuum and $300 KitchenAid.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bad-register-lots-of-very-cheap-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:faa184a8-b44e-49f6-8814-ade5e419e2baPost:a2bb6425-1220-4809-8c68-7b58a8cf967b">Is it bad to register for lots of very cheap items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went on the bed bath and beyond website and just started registering for things that I need / would love to have.  I've tried to keep myself frugal (if someone is going to spend $100, I think they would rather buy me a whole set of decently-priced dishes rather than 1 fine china plate, etc.).  I also know that most of my friends are not very well off and would appreciate a range of prices on the registry. So far I have 65 items that are $30 or under (a lot of these are $5 -10, like a set of wooden spoons).  I also have 10 items that are $30-60, and 8 that are $60+ (the most expensive by far is the KitchenAid mixer).  Is this too many cheap things?  I am planning to invite about 100 guests (so about 50 couples). FI's mom told me <strong>"people don't register for kitchen towels"</strong> and that I should take the really small things off and just buy them ourselves.  A lot of the things I want don't come in a set (i.e. individual serving spoons rather than a set) so I thought people could just buy the entire set, which would be 6 registry items, if they wanted to spend more than $5. Also I don't think I can afford to buy all these "cheap" things myself.  I'm paying for the entire wedding since FI is international and isn't authorized to work.  I don't have to pay for food or rent since I live with FI's family, but my non-wedding budget is $37/week which barely covers gas.  However we are planning to continue living with FI's family for awhile after we are married, so I won't really need most of the stuff on my registry right away.
    Posted by lenergyrlah[/QUOTE]
    What!?! Maybe in your area, but they sure do around here! I have registered for every towel that we could possibly need because like you, I don't live on my own & currently don't have any of those things myself. <div>
    </div><div>I often enjoy buying multiple little things and making people baskets. I don't know. I think buying lots of little things makes me feel like I'm getting them more, even if it's the same value and one larger gift. </div><div>
    </div><div>Keep doing what you're doing regarding breaking up sets. That way people can give you pieces. This can be done for many place settings too. </div>
  • Personally, I love registries with lots of small stuff, because then I'll buy three or four or five inexpensive things and make a "theme" basket for the bride (i.e. I'd buy all the baking utensils on your list, plus your cupcake pan or something like that).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Like some PPs, I prefer registries that have lots of less expensive things, so I can get at themed gift with several items. 

I don't think it's inappropriate to have lots of cheaper items, and it would really add up if you decided to take them off to buy them all yourself, as your mom suggests. 

• Not at all...agree with pp's that they can be combined into a larger gift if someone chooses.  Or a small item can be used as a token gift to go with a gift card...someone gave my fiance a wisk with a gift card attached for his housewarming and he thought it was very clever.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • I agree with the consensus. I usually buy a collection of small things as a wedding gift.

As for what your FMIL and anyone else might think: You're damned if you, damned if you don't. If you register for only expensive things, you look greedy. If you register for inexpensive things, someone's going to say you're implying your guests are cheap. So, forget what others think, since you can't please them, and register for the things you need.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bad-register-lots-of-very-cheap-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:faa184a8-b44e-49f6-8814-ade5e419e2baPost:8ffff8c7-03a8-4805-911c-bf0f3751169e">Re: Is it bad to register for lots of very cheap items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the consensus. I usually buy a collection of small things as a wedding gift. As for what your FMIL and anyone else might think: You're damned if you, damned if you don't. If you register for only expensive things, you look greedy. If you register for inexpensive things, someone's going to say you're implying your guests are cheap. So, forget what others think, since you can't please them, and register for the things you need.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]
    Very well said.
  • Register for what you need, not what your FMIL thinks you should. If I want to spend more money, I'll buy a bunch of inexpensive things and make a gift basket or something. Don't sweat the small stuff. ;)
  • We're doing a super small registry for things that "have to match to an extent" (like place settings, glasses and cutlery). Other than that, we're saying our "colours" (like bathroom is neutral green and eggplant; bedroom is blues; everything else neutrals with red accents) or whatever...we feel rediculous registering for SPECIFIC hand towels, measuring cups, can openers, etc.. but it's completely up to you. it's just not our style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards