Wedding Party

I want the kids but NOT the (crazy!!) mother...

How do you go about asking your future sister in law if her kids can be in the wedding, and not her?? My fiance's sister is a nut job, and he is just as aware of this as I am, BUT we both really want her kids to be a part of our big day...To be honest, I think we would both be content with not having her there at all. How do we go about this in a nice way??

Re: I want the kids but NOT the (crazy!!) mother...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_want-kids-but-not-crazy-mother?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:e9cd470b-59f4-49d5-836e-465338430edaPost:be99f14d-af6b-46d3-8670-aaddda0c91f3">I want the kids but NOT the (crazy!!) mother...</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you go about asking your future sister in law if her kids can be in the wedding, and not her?? My fiance's sister is a nut job, and he is just as aware of this as I am, BUT we both really want her kids to be a part of our big day...To be honest, I think we would both be content with not having her there at all. How do we go about this in a nice way??
    Posted by karlianna777[/QUOTE]

You can easily ask her if it would be OK to have her children in wedding without having her.

You cannot however have her NOT come to the wedding at all. They are her children and she needs to be invited along with them. There is no "nice" way to invite her kids and not her
  • Regardless of whether her kids are in the wedding, she needs an invite to the wedding.  She's family, and presumably you're inviting all other siblings.  So on that end, I'm afraid you need to suck it up.

With regard to her kids, asking them doesn't mean you have to also ask her.  Four of my cousins were our RBs and FGs (two sets of twins) but we didn't ask any of their siblings or parents.  Still on speaking terms with all (actually seeing all of them tonight at a New Year's party).  So don't worry about that.  If FSIL flips out, have FI handle it.  FI should probably handle the whole "transaction" anyway.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • You don't need to have the FSIL be in the WP just because her kids are.
    You should definitely invite her as a guest.

• It would be bad enough if this were some random person whose kids you wanted to use, and you didn't want to invite her.  But this is the groom's freaking sister.  Thinking of not even inviting her is just beyond callous.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Just because the kids are in the WP doesn't mean the mom has to be. But if she is your FSIL, then I'd say she should at least be invited to the wedding. A lot of little children don't make a move without their moms, and it would be terribly rude not to invite her. 
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_want-kids-but-not-crazy-mother?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e9cd470b-59f4-49d5-836e-465338430edaPost:2b45b6d0-3ee9-4ee8-8cb9-c246207967d0">Re: I want the kids but NOT the (crazy!!) mother...</a>:
    [QUOTE]It would be bad enough if this were some random person whose kids you wanted to use, and you didn't want to invite her.  But this is the groom's freaking sister.  Thinking of not even inviting her is just beyond callous.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

Truth.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • If you want to use her kids, then you have to invite her to the wedding.  If you don't want her at the wedding, don't use her kids - but that's pretty rude to not invite a sibling.

You will be so busy on your wedding day, you will probably hardly even notice she's there.
  • So just ask the kids to be in the wedding.  You obviously need to invite FSIL though, regardless of her or her children's WP status.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Everyone gave you great advice. Have the kids in your WP or not, but FSIL should definitely get an invite.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards