Students
Options

Fellow Med students: Happy thoughts please :)

On Monday I start my 2nd year of medical school. At this point I am really tired of being 1 1/2 hr away from my fiance and of course, I am not ready for school to start.

We are getting married March 12 so I'm feeling the pressure considering I now only have Christmas break to do the last major stretch of wedding plans.

Sorry for the rant. Any happy thoughts are welcomed :)

Re: Fellow Med students: Happy thoughts please :)

• Options
    good luck!

i really enjoyed second year, although it was hard, it was a lot more fun than 1st year. i bet youll enjoy it too. its relevant and interesting!

im starting my 6th year of MD/PhD and i totally understand the "being away from FI." i live in Salt Lake City, and my FI lives in NY. 2 planes each direction. and we've been doing this for 4 years. and will do it for 1.5 more after our wedding in october!

im looking forward to residency where i will at least be driving distance from him, if not closer!
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh wow bless your heart! My FI and I will only live apart for 2 months after the wedding so I can't imagine your situation.

Thanks so much for the encouragement on 2nd year. Good luck to you with school and congrats on the wedding! You are so close :D
  • Options
    Best of luck!!!!! I agree, 2nd yr is much better, much more relevant, but it is still pretty tough!

Good luck with your planning!! Hopefully you can steal an 1/2hr -1hr a day to relax with some wedding stuff...that's sorta what I've been doing!

lynnie-- wow!! I did the plane thing with FI for 3 years and thought it was exhausting! What are you thinking of going into?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You can do this!  Like everyone else has said... you've made it through the first year (which in my opinion is far and away the hardest).  Like TriSaratops said.. try to steal just a little time here and there away from every day to get some things done and you'll be wedding-ready in no time! :)  Good luck and keep your chin up!

• Options
    Thanks so much ladies! I really appreciate it.

I have heard 2nd year is a lot more interesting and I hope everyone is right! Spring semester was killer but at least I made it.

What year are you all in? What are you thinking of going into?

Good luck to you all and your wedding planning!
  • Options
    I am a third year.  Right now I am considering general surgery, but I also have a thing for geriatrics (total opposite ends of the spectrum, but that happens! :)  Basically, I'm an anatomy geek that loves old people.

Do you have any idea what field you are interested in?
  • Options
    Oh that is so awesome that you are thinking about geriatrics! I'm sure you have heard this a lot but the right people for that field is so rare.

Well I was an EMT and did love the ER scene but I worry about the on-off life style and being able to keep that up when I'm older. Also, I worked on the women's floor for a year and a half as a nurse tech and found I had a passion for working with women so I'm leaning the most towards OB-Gyn. I find it's the perfect mix of primary care along with surgery (I'm an anatomy nerd too!).

Things I have ruled out is family medicine, ortho and anesthesiology.
  • Options

I start my second year this coming Monday.  It seems like a lot of med students are (unfortunately) in the same situation.  Fiance and I are 3 hours apart (he is working on his PhD elsewhere while I finish med school).  We will both graduate in 2013, so we're going to wait until then to get married.  When it's all said and done, we'll have been dating for over 8 years, and have spent 4 years in a LDR. 

That being said, it's completely worth it!  Here's to MS2!  Good luck to everyone else as well!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Good luck with everything.  Short term pain for long term gain.  I finished med school in 1999.  It's worth it, really.  You're being a hero to your own self, keep that in mind.

Try and enjoy each year, despite the challenges.
  • Options
    Wow Deepcovejackie, I really like that. "Your being a hero to your own self"

We have our first test tomorrow of the year. It's the heme/onc block. So far I really like 2nd year more than 1st year.

Thanks everyone and I hope your journey is going well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards