40-Plus Brides
Options

Wedding photography

H and I went to a wedding this past week end.  Now I don't know if I am showing my age here or what, but the photographer and her assistant stuck by the bride and groom and never took pics of the guests.  Back in the day (like my first wedding), the photog went either table to table and took pics of the guests or set up some lame backdrop at the back of the reception venue for guests to come to him/her.  We were at a NYE wedding also and now that I think of it, I don't believe I even saw the photographer at that one.

Times are a-changin' and I don't seem to be changing with them LOL

Re: Wedding photography

• Options
    Then I guess the B & G never made it to our side of the room.

I wanted pics of our guests so our photog got candid shots of them rather than posed or going from table to table.  Maybe that's what this photog was doing as well and no one noticed.  And yet, there we'll all be in the pictures!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Perhaps that's what the couple requested from the photographer.  Our photographer has asked us to make a list of any specific shots/people we want captured ...
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_wedding-photography?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:b1b57147-3835-4421-9d42-8997907fc471Post:c9730e91-1fa1-4e14-95b0-eec83f499d13">Re: Wedding photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the trend is to capture moments of interaction between the bride and groom and their guests rather than just a table shot.  It's more photo journalistic than posed.  I like it. 
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

That's the photography style my exH and I had for our wedding in 1992.  I had several friends marrying around the same time and we were the only ones that did not have posed group shots (we did have bridal party and parent photos taken at Church) at the reception.  We were ahead of our time. 

FI and I are using the same photographer, I guess we'll be avant garde (sp?).  Oooo la la.
  • Options
    Oh I DO like the photojournalistic style as well.  I see the pics that some of these brides post and they are just too gorgeous.

This whole wedding was weird anyway - it seemed to be only about the bride and her family.  So I wouldn't be surprised if there are no pics from "the other side of the dance floor" aka the groom's family.
  • Options
    At my first wedding, in 2002, it would have cost us a fair bit extra to get table shots. We opted not to do them since they're generally not that interesting (at least in my opinion). But the photographer and his assistant were there all night and definitely got hundreds of shots of guests at the cocktail hour, on the dance floor, and mingling throughout the night, just not the posed shots at their tables.
  • Options
    I have a friend who had this complaint about the photographer at her daughter's wedding.  They were not taking pictures of the people at the tables.  Apparently, they were taking the candids of the people on the dance floor but the people that were not up and about were not photographed.  I know at my wedding there will probably be some people that are not burning up the dance floor so I will ask my photographer to make sure that he does get pictures of those people.  Not necessarily a posey posey picture, but a perhaps a candid posey picture.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards