Students

Should I put off grad school?

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a long time, but here's my life in a nutshell:
I'm now a senior in college majoring in psychology, graduating spring of next year (2013). My wedding is planned for Oct. 12, 2013. I work part-time at Dairy Queen while in school, and FI didn't go to college but he has a full-time job with benefits. My current plan is to get some sort of adult-type job once I graduate, and I know that a bachelor's in psych, while versatile, won't get me anything directly related. I have the brain for grad school, so I was planning on taking a year off to work, save, and get myself settled in my new life then go for my doctorate if I get in the school I want. If I don't, at least I'll have a job already and I can always keep applying (kids are a long ways off for us).
So my new idea that I'm considering is not taking a year off, because I feel like it might be crappy of me to work somewhere for a year and then leave again, and also depending on the job options, it doesn't seem like I will be satisfied with bachelor-level work. But moving the date is out of the picture because I love the fall too much.. haha and that puts the honeymoon in the middle of the term, and idk how big of a problem that would be. So my question to you all is- Do you think I should stick with my original plan and wait? Or should I just go for it?
Thanks for all your help, guys!

Re: Should I put off grad school?

• I would wait. Not only because of the honeymoon, but planning your wedding and carrying out all the little details in your first semester of graduate school is a pain the ass. Plus you're going to completely underestimate just how much work grad school is going to be- it doesn't matter how smart you are. Doing both things at once, plus trying to assimilate to a new social scene and lifestyle that comes with grad school is too much when you have the option to wait. 

If you insist on doing grad school and wedding at the same time, at least delay your honeymoon until a break. You absolutely cannot take a vacation mid-semester. Grad school doesn't work that way. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_should-i-put-off-grad-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:1d220e37-04d0-47b3-8ed6-d3e22b2f4371Post:4992b6d4-b007-4b00-a0bc-aff2404eaa19">Should I put off grad school?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a long time, but here's my life in a nutshell: I'm now a senior in college majoring in psychology, graduating spring of next year (2013). My wedding is planned for Oct. 12, 2013. I work part-time at Dairy Queen while in school, and FI didn't go to college but he has a full-time job with benefits. My current plan is to get some sort of <u>adult-type job once I graduate</u>, and I know that a bachelor's in psych, while versatile, won't get me anything directly related. I have the brain for grad school, so I was planning on taking a year off to work, save, and get myself settled in my new life then <u>go for my doctorate</u> if I get in the school I want. If I don't, at least I'll have a job already and I can always keep applying (kids are a long ways off for us). So my new idea that I'm considering is not taking a year off, because I feel like it might be crappy of me to work somewhere for a year and then leave again, and also depending on the job options,<u> it doesn't seem like I will be satisfied with bachelor-level work</u>. But moving the date is out of the picture because I love the fall too much.. haha and that puts the honeymoon in the middle of the term, and idk how big of a problem that would be. So my question to you all is- Do you think I should stick with my original plan and wait? Or should I just go for it? Thanks for all your help, guys!
    Posted by eelyak321[/QUOTE]

<div>I think you need to think about a few things: What is your end goal, career-wise?  If you want to be in academia, a PhD is a good route but if you want to do something else (and have specific ideas in mind) you should find out what type of degrees those people in those positions have.  Particularly for PhD programs, you'll need to show that you are committed to the field you want to study through internships and research at the undergraduate level; many students do a post-bac year or work in research of the field they want to study in.</div><div>
    </div><div>What do you consider bachelor-level work?  I work with plenty of people who only have a B.A., and they are no less competent than those with masters or PhDs; they also have the same career trajectory (but, this is partially because of the field I'm in).  I went straight from UG to Grad school and was one of the youngest in my cohort-not a bad thing, but consider that many graduate students work for 2-5 years before going to grad school.  Getting married during grad school could be very challenging--between school work and internship or teaching committments, you won't have a lot of time.  Unless you're 100% sure you want to go to grad school and are 100% sure on your chosen field, I suggest working for a while until you figure it out.  That will also give you the flexibility to get married with less stress.</div>
  • I am not sure if you should postpone grad school. 

I am a 3rd year grad student in Audiology and I am waiting until after I graduate (May 2013) to get married - October 19, 2013.  Also - getting into the program was pretty competitive so I def accepted right away!

When I was in my first year of grad school it was a transition - but I was actually surprised at how much free time I had.  In my case, I def would have had enough time to plan.  However, I know other fields of study are different.

If you do go to grad school right away I agree with waiting until a break to do your honeymoon.  It would be a lot to miss.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • unicorntreesunicorntrees member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I think if I were you, I would wait. My wedding is this August, and even though I'm still in undergrad, having to do school work and wedding work has really sucked. I would imagine that doing grad level work could be more intensive, and I wouldn't want more intense work over my head on top of wedding planning (I also didn't have a date set until this past January, so you will have the benefit of having had more time). Plus, as  you mentioned, you wouldn't have to worry about your honeymoon interrupting your studies. I would prefer to go right to my honeymoon after getting married instead of waiting weeks or even months (that's just me though!). 

In the end, do what you think is going to be best for you and your life. Go with your gut!
  • I'm putting off grad school!  But then again I have a major in psych and a minor in business administration, with plans to get my MBA.  Most MBA programs require work experience which I don't have yet.  I would wait.  My wedding is next May and since I'm still in undergrad and working part time, it's hard to balance all of it sometimes.  My FI is going straight into a masters program right after we get married, but he doesn't need experience for his.  This is one of those situations where you have to figure out what would be best for you.  What's right for those of us who've posted may not be right for you.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • You have to be 100% positive in your choices no matter what you choose. Grad school classes are normally at night because the percentage of grad students have full time jobs during the day.

I graduated in May 2010 with a BA in Journalism and double minored in Classical Studies and Anthropology. What am I doing now? Legal Assistant and Accountant. Nothing related to my degree but I wanted to go to grad school. I had to decide what I really wanted to do. I took two years to find a school and program. Now I am waiting for an acceptance letter any day now!

So there is nothing wrong with waiting, just make sure you do what you think will benefit you the most.
  • Take a year off.

First, everyone deserves (maybe even needs) that break. Just so you get a chance to really see what the real world feels like and really see if you even want more school.

Also, you didn't mention what you wanted to do with your doctorate. If you know, then try to get a job in a similar field (or at least with an employer who does work in that field) because real life experience is valuable.

If you don't know, then use that year to explore. You DO NOT have to do a graduate program in psychology, and even if you do, graduate programs in psych are much more varied than undergrad programs.
  • spimentspiment member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I took four years off before going to Law School to ensure it was what I wanted. Also gave me time to save which was great.
  • im in the same situation about going to physical therapy school. I am a senior who will graduate next may and i have already hit the burnout point on school. When i talked it over with my mom about postponing PT school she made a point that it is really hard to go back to school after "life" happens. Its just something to consider.
    November Siggy: STD/Invite inspiration imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Yeah, I am getting married in 10 days and smack in the middle of finishing my graduate degree.  I finish in December.  I started the wedding planning around the same time I started grad school and while it has been dificult I can honestly say that it was very doable.  Sure there are times (like now) where I am a little stressed out because I have so many things I need to be doing, but at the same time, I've still really enjoyed the process and I've really enjoyed my grad program.  My graduate program was full time, mostly during the day. And i worked in the afternoon/evenings.  My suggestion is just to figure out where you really want to be. Every grad program is different. 
  • jesslynn1012jesslynn1012 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I waited 2 years between undergrad and grad and if I had to do it again I would NOT wait!  I got my undergrad in art with a minor in psychology and I'm graduating next week (yay) with my masters in Art Therapy and Counseling.  There are people in the program that went right from undergrad to grad school and they are in a much better position than I am.  They are younger and will be getting similar full-time job opportunities.  My masters was 3 years, straight-through summers, and though I didn't have a lot of down-time, I survived.  I know I am the minority here since everyone is suggesting waiting, but I know people in my program that have planned weddings, gotten married, had children and all were able to do that in addition to grad school.  As far as experience goes, depending on your degree, you'll get experience while IN grad school with internships.  Just my 2 cents.  Hope my perspective helps. :)
    You might have to postpone your honeymoon a few weeks or months or a year for a break, but I wish I would've done that instead of waiting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • aro1589aro1589 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I would wait.

I just graduated with my undergrad two weeks ago.  The original plan was to go straight to grad school this fall.  My wedding is October 27th, so right in the middle of the semester.  Grad school is going to be challenging.  I want to be able to really devote myself to it, especially my first semester.  I don't want to be worried about getting everything ready and then missing a whole week for a honeymoon.  I plan on just taking a semester off and going in January. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I didn't wait, and I don't regret my choice. I too graduated with a B.S. in Psychology, and I know that there is very little in the field that can be done with just a Bachelor's. That is why I decided to go straight into my Graduate Program. My FI is older than I am but started his undergrad late because he didn't want college, but I helped talk him into it. He will be graduating with his B.A. the semester after we are married.

I honestly don't think going to school is going to ruin your wedding planning, your wedding, or your honeymoon. You don't have to take a honeymoon the day after your wedding. You can take one later on when you have a break from school - go somewhere warm since you are getting married later in the year and warm weather is always a plus for me!

Now, if you are concerned with the program and workload, then you need to talk to the professors and other students before applying. Get a good idea on what the expectations are from the professors and how current students think the program is. My program isn't that bad right now, (MSEdu-Counseling). But schools and programs vary.

If you are worried about having a full-time job to help support yourselves after getting married and going to school at the same time, look into schools that provide night classes. That is definitely an option. You could work during the day and take your classes at night [that's how I do it!].

I wouldn't say yes - go to grad school or no - don't go to grad school without doing thorough research on the school, the program, the professors, and the workload. Once you know more about all of that, you will know more whether or not you want to go straight into Grad school or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards