Kentucky

Is it ok to ask brides maids to buy their dresses?

We are trying to cut costs so I was only going to have maybe one or 2 brides maids, if any.  I even thought about no brides maids and just having mine and my fiance's children in the wedding.  I have so many close friends that I would love to take part in my wedding.  Do you think it's wrong to ask them to purchase their dress????   UndecidedFrown

Re: Is it ok to ask brides maids to buy their dresses?

• edited December 2011
    I have always thought BM were in charge of getting their dresses anyways.  With that being said, I would try to select a dress that is affordable for your BM! 
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it's wrong at all, however, I'd try to accommodate the budgets of your bridesmaids.  Think opposite of what you see on Say Yes To The Dress: Bridesmaids.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup it's ok to have them buy their own dresses. Just make sure you all agree on something they can afford.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually do not like the idea of making my bridesmaids paying for their dresses... I feel like if I am asking them to be in my wedding, I should provide their dress.  Then again, if you're really wanting to cut costs for the wedding I know many people ask their bridesmaids to buy the dress without hesitation. 

Maybe if you just talk to them and ask if they wouldn't mind to purchase the dresses.... That way they understand it's because of your budget, not because you felt it necessary for them to buy it in the first place.  Plus, then they know you care!

Make sure it's affordable to them! Consider whether they are hurting for extra cash themselves!
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wanted it to be very affordable for my bridal party, plus we got married outside, so were going for a more eclectic look.  My girls wore any dress they wanted in any shade of blue or green (except baby blue).  The guys wore black pants, white button down and any tie in blue or green.  I had one girl find her dress for $7 and it was gorgeous. 

Another way to do it is to have them buy a black dress.  Most of them will already have something in their closet to wear. 

GL!
  • kristiburke82kristiburke82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In every wedding I've previously been in I was responsible for buying my own dress. I think it's become the norm. But, make sure that you and your bridesmaids both love the dress and make sure its affordable. Talk about a proce point before you and your girls  ever set foot into the dress shop to look for dresses! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards