Military Brides

What the best way to tell everyone your engaged??

Hello all I have family all over the world and I don't know how to tell them I'm engaged! I want it to be a surprise at the same time so I want to do it in a way that everyone finds out all at once for the most part. Should I just sent out "save the date" cards or e mail or what?? HELP thanks!! 

MissBrice Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What the best way to tell everyone your engaged??

• edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_what-the-best-way-to-tell-everyone-your-engaged?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:16657896-f37f-4395-bf50-f40f2bfb9dfcPost:aab03f06-e34e-4378-9030-f65a824c419c">What the best way to tell everyone your engaged??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello all I have family all over the world and I don't know how to tell them I'm engaged! I want it to be a surprise at the same time so I want to do it in a way that everyone finds out all at once for the most part. Should I just sent out "save the date" cards or e mail or what?? HELP thanks!! 
    Posted by missbrice09[/QUOTE]

Quoted to get it formatted right. Anyway, I called all of my family members & friends that I was close too before sending out STDs.

ETA: Also, I'd like to add that I found out my cousin (who we were pretty close too) got engaged over FB. She got a lot of grief for it. It's not cool.
  • I would wait to post it on Facebook or send out any emails until you've called those closest to you - think about the people who you would be hurt if they posted on Facebook before they told you big news (engaged, pregnant, etc.).  Call all of them before you post anything.  Skype is a wonderful thing - you can call international numbers for pennies per minute.  You can even do video chat with family members who are technologically savvy so they can see your big smile and pretty ring. 

Do that before you post anywhere.  After you get those initial VIPs, then you can post on Facebook & send out an email.  Honestly, with how expensive postage is, I'd skip the physical letter personally - that's what a save the date is for anyway.  But that's just how I would handle it - there's nothing wrong with a mailed announcement if that's what you want to do.

Anniversary

• I called my mom, dad, and dad's mom (who I am very close to). I also called a couple of very close friends. I texted my siblings and a few more friends. I think my aunts found out through my mom. I had no problem with my extended family (because it is so large) finding out via word of mouth. My FI had to Facebook message his parents and brother about it (because they don't have phones, yes, they are very strange, that is the tip of the iceberg). 

Most of our friends found out via word of mouth, and not as close friends found out through Facebook. Assuming that you keep your Facebook for personal use, I don't see a problem with updating people that aren't on your must-call list from there. 

Considering that you don't send a Save the Date card until you have a date and location and you don't send them until 6-9 months out, anyone who finds out just from that card is going to be pretty far out of your regular social/family circle anyway. 

• Yeah I would definitely tell the people closest to you (family and friends). For us it was parents, siblings, best friends, and a few aunts/uncles that had to know before we announced it on FB. 
  • We told parents, my brother, and then my best friend and then we posted on facebook. No one's feelings were hurt. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited August 2012
    I sent out a mass text because it was 3AM on Christmas Day. My Parent's already knew because H asked them before hand (very 1950s of him :) ). The text went out to my sister, BFF, close friends, all the family members that were saved in my phone, plus some of my coworkers. I waited until I saw most of family around the holidays then updated my FB.

I also vote No to Facebook. I found out my sister was engaged via FB .. no lie. She thought my mom called me but didn't. Her ILs had no idea either until FB and it was pretty close to the end of the world. Personally call all your siblings and as many people as you can.
    I want the COOOOOKIE!
    Credit to Awkward Family Pet Photos
    http://tiny.cc/kpfcdw
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_what-the-best-way-to-tell-everyone-your-engaged?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:16657896-f37f-4395-bf50-f40f2bfb9dfcPost:734c3c75-1142-4dfc-8fa9-9288571e7c88">Re: What the best way to tell everyone your engaged??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We told parents, my brother, and then my best friend and then we posted on facebook. No one's feelings were hurt. 
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

This is how we did it too.  It's amazing how fast people see a change in status :)
    Anniversary
  • We called everyone that we were close to (family members and close friends) then took to facebook. H's best friend got an e-mail due to him being deployed at the time.
  • Well my parents were in on my surprise as he had asked them for permission.  So that meant my immediate family knew this was happening before me.  I just posted a picture of the ring to my fb, that way my friends couldn't play the "Well you called her but not me" game.  And so my family in other places who I am not super close to would know.  I got grief from one friend but I honestly think it was more of her ego being hurt than her.  
    I'm crafty and pretty blunt but you can always talk to me. I'm very open to communication.

• i'm not sure, but if you want gifts for the bridesmaids (or even yourself) check out http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonstonecreation. it is such a cute shop with tons of military related jewelry, keychains, cufflinks, etc... Makes great wedding gifts for bridesmaids & groomsmen. I really like the "love is trading in your perals for his dog tags" so sweet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards