Registry and Gift Forum

What percentage of your guests gave physical gifts/registry gifts and what percentage gave cash?

I was wondering- for any of you who are already married, what percentage of your guests gave you physical gifts or ordered off your registry, and what percentage gave cash?  I know this may be a regional/cultural thing, but I was trying to get a sense.  Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What percentage of your guests gave physical gifts/registry gifts and what percentage gave cash?

• I don't think a general consensus will get you anywhere with this. I think it just depends on your group. I personally am not the biggest fan of giving cash, I'd much rather give a gift.
    My friend was recently married and they didn't get much cash at all, mostly gifts from their registery.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, I recognize that everyone will have a different experience, but having some idea would be useful.  Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 25% registry
    65% cash
    10% nothing
  • We had a really small wedding (60 ppl) and we got mostly cash. Our guests that were our age gave us gifts and family gave us money and gift cards. Personally, H and I like giving gifts more than money so that's what we are giving our friends in their up coming weddings.
  • Wow! The high % of cash surprises me.

For us:
    10% Nothing
    60% Registry
    30% Cash
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2012
    I got married in Central PA

80% cash
    10% registry 
    10% non-registry physical gifts

For my shower I got most of the items on my registry, so I'm sure that was a factor for the wedding. Also we are in our 30s and live in a small apt, so I imagine our guests took that into consideration.

EDITED TO ADD: We got a high percentage of cash and we didn't have a cash registry, nor did we even "spread the word" that we wanted cash. Without us having to do anything most people knew that cash was a good gift and decided to give us money. Which is one of the reasons it boggles my mind that people think they need to create a Paypal account, HM registry, etc in order to get cash.
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2012
    If I had to guess, I would say:

Registry:  60%
    Non-Registry: 30%
    Cash: 10%

Edited to add:  This is of the gifts we received.  I don't know how many of our guests didn't give us anything, because I didn't keep track of that.   A lot of guests went in together on gifts (like members of the same extended family),so it wasn't 1 for 1 gifts for guests, you know?

DSC_9275
  • It was about 50/50 for us. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It's largely a regional thing. We got 100% cash.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Obviousl not married yet, but most of my friends seem to get a ton of registry gifts.  I typically see maybe 8 or 9 cards at the wedding itself, for weddings that are hosting a couple hundred people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Out of 120 guests, we received about 3 gifts from our registry...the rest was all cash.   Shocking -, since I love giving china for weddings!   Most of the gifts from my registry were given to me at my showers.

• I will add I got about 95% registry items at my shower. That's the norm around here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd say we got about 65% physical gifts and 35% cash/checks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks so much.  Yes- we're in out mid-thirties and both own our own homes (before moving in), so cash would be most useful.  When my sister got married several years ago she primarily received gifts from her registry (but she was in her mid-twenties an needed house things), so I'm not sure if my family will mostly give us things off our registry as well.  Wedding is in two weeks, so we'll see soon enough.  Thanks again.  :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I received 99% of what we registered for at my bridal shower, 2 months before the wedding. The only thing we didn't receive was a Le Creuset dutch oven we put on there because it went out of stock quickly and was eventually discontinued in that size. 

Out of 130 guests who attended our wedding, I think we received less than 5 boxed gifts. The rest was cash or checks. I agree with HobokenBride, since we're from the same area of NJ, that it's totally the norm in our area. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-percentage-of-your-guests-gave-physical-giftsregistry-gifts-and-what-percentage-gave-cash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:05363505-a006-4706-9b14-2f5252173a1aPost:fd0ec793-4c6a-49da-ab07-0c77428e6374">Re: What percentage of your guests gave physical gifts/registry gifts and what percentage gave cash?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got married in Central <strong>PA 80% cash 10% registry  10% non-registry physical gifts </strong>For my shower I got most of the items on my registry, so I'm sure that was a factor for the wedding. Also we are in our 30s and live in a small apt, so I imagine our guests took that into consideration. EDITED TO ADD: W<strong>e got a high percentage of cash and we didn't have a cash registry, nor did we even "spread the word" that we wanted cash. Without us having to do anything most people knew that cash was a good gift and decided to give us money. Which is one of the reasons it boggles my mind that people think they need to create a Paypal account, HM registry, etc in order to get cash.</strong>
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

I am in Toronto Canada and it was the exact same for us.
    I also fully agree with the below bolded.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got physical gifts from I think six guests. Three of those guests gave small physical gifts in conjunction with cash or a check, while three of them gave us strictly physical gifts. Half of the physical gifts we got were not from our registry (and those have become our favorite gifts--I can see them from where I'm sitting right now!).

We got mostly cash--I wanna say at least fifty to fifty-five cards with various amounts of money inside. We had 84 guests total at the wedding.

In other words, not many people give physical gifts in my area. I did get a ton of registry items at my shower.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Hrm...  We roughly got:

50% envelope-based gifts (includes gift cards/cash/checks)
    39% Registry Gifts
    10% No Gift
    1% Outta nowhere physical gifts (heart shaped beer bottle opener, say what?!? lol)
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards