Mississippi

Uneven wedding party dilemma

My fiance wants 9-12 groomsmen and I only want 2 of my closest friends but if need be I can have 6.  I have always wanted a small, traditional wedding with even numbers.  It is unfair for me to ask him to cut some of his friends out, but I don't want to just stick more girls up there with me out of desperation.  Most people think I am making a big to-do out of nothing, but this is important to me.  How can I make this work?

Re: Uneven wedding party dilemma

• edited December 2011
    I agree. If you only want two, keep your two! Out of his 9-12, how many do you think are really groomsmen material? If need be, you can ask your fiance to use some of his friends in other parts of the ceremony as ushers, readers, or even a MC at the reception, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    I completely agree with above. If you really wanted to make it even, have the other groomsmen be a part of the wedding in other ways. This is your wedding, so have it the way you want it.

Good luck, congrats, and enjoy!
  • KelleyLRKelleyLR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hear what you are saying, but it's not the end of the world.  If they are his closest friends, so be it.  My FI wants his dad as the best man.  Although I disagree with the father's role at the best man, I am willing to compromise because I realize why his dad means that way to him. 

Here's an idea: if you are worried about the way that an uneven WP looks (or how one side will stick out compared to the other), you can have them in a semi-circle in the very front, behind the officiant.  I had never seen it done before until one of my friends did it.  Although she had even numbers, this could solve your problem about the front of the church looking uneven.  Have your two BMs standing in the center next to the two middle groomsmen.

If your FI is willing to compromise, close friends can also be ushers, etc.  We are doing that.
    Something old, something new; something borrowed, something RED!!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards