Getting in Shape
Options

Pre and Post work out

Hey girls....

I need some new ideas...

What are your favorite pre work out foods and post work out foods. I have been doing banana before work out and someone on here told me thats not a great idea. Post work out, I do dinner within 45 minutes of working out.

Give me some more good ideas...

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

Re: Pre and Post work out

• Options
    I tend to eat a granola bar about an hour to two hours before I work out (I workout after work), then I eat dinner within an hour of finishing my workout.
  • Options
    Don't take my advice. I'm naughty when it comes to pre and post workout eating. I workout first thing in the morning typically and can't eat breakfast. I have a weird stomach and can't handle food well within the first few hours of waking up. I am 100% and empty stomach worker-outer. And because of my stomach thing, I don't eat breakfast, period. My first meal of the day is usually lunch around 11-12. I drink black coffee all morning post workout. But this is how I've been my whole life, so it doesn't bother me. I know most people would keel over doing it this way. 

On the days I do a two a day workout and hit up the gym in the evening too, I try to eat about 2 hours prior depending. If I have a big lunch I won't eat before going. If I have a light lunch I'll usually have a Luna bar like 2 hours before going. Then no matter what I eat dinner within about 30-45 minutes after coming home. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks girls...

I eat lunch at work about 11 or 12... I want a snack about 3 so I will use that to fuel my 5:15 workout... Dinner will be about 7ish. 

Thanks for the ideas. I just wanted something that would curb the hunger so I am not snacking while making dinner. I tend to do that sometimes.   

• Options
    I also prefer to work out on an empty stomach (nothing at least 2 hours before a workout). Post-workout I have whey protein smoothie (with fruit, 1/4 cup coconut milk and water) - I really find it helps with recovery. I am noticeably more sore the next day if I don't have the post-workout whey. Then 1-2 hours after my smoothie I will have my next meal.
  • Options
    Why isn't a banana a good pre-workout snack?  If you're worried about blood sugar spikes and drops, pair it with some nuts, PB, or a bit of yogurt (I like the new Chobani Bite ones to pair with a fruit for a snack).  If you're snacking 2 hours before your work out, you'll want something with more staying power, so pairing with protein and fat will help.

For a snack after, I'd just do something light like some nuts, veggies, fruit, etc.  If I'm starving as I make dinner, I'll eat part of my dinner while preparing the rest (like, I will eat some of my dinner veggies). 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pre-and-post-work-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:01c2705e-623c-4b96-b7f2-84a84408683aPost:0df08c96-60c7-408b-9254-104f3b67e0d8">Re: Pre and Post work out</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why isn't a banana a good pre-workout snack? [/QUOTE]

<div>In another thread OP was saying that she is always hungry on her workout days while struggling to meet her weight loss calorie goal. She said that she ate lunch, then had a snack, then had a banana right before her workout and then didn't eat until she came back home and had dinner. I suggested to her that  instead of eating the banana right before the workout (and basically just burning off said banana during her workout) she move it to post-workout to help her with satiety and recovery while keeping calories conservative (and adjusting her macro ratios to include more fat and protein). </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_pre-and-post-work-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:01c2705e-623c-4b96-b7f2-84a84408683aPost:fd16262b-1210-4ac6-ad72-265f97668f38">Re: Pre and Post work out</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pre and Post work out : In another thread OP was saying that she is always hungry on her workout days while struggling to meet her weight loss calorie goal. She said that she ate lunch, then had a snack, then had a banana right before her workout and then didn't eat until she came back home and had dinner. I suggested to her that  instead of eating the banana right before the workout (and basically just burning off said banana during her workout) she move it to post-workout to help her with satiety and recovery while keeping calories conservative.
    Posted by unchatenfrance[/QUOTE]

OH ok.  That makes a ton more sense.  I thought someone was saying "Don't eat bananas before workouts or you won't burn as many calories" or something crazy like that.  I was baffled.  Thanks for the clarification!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I like to have a larabar about 2 hours before I workout.  I have about the same schedule as you.  Lunch around noon, snack at 3ish workout around 5ish.  After my workout I have a small protein shake (150 calories) right away.  I usually don't eat dinner until like 7:30 or 8, so I want to make sure I start my recovery right after finishing my workout.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Heather,

I will look into those. Dinner can range between 7 and 8 for me as its when Fi gets home at night... I have never really tried protein shakes. Are there any that taste good you would suggest for a beginner who has never had them?

I have never heard of whey protein unchat... I will google that

• Options
    @Nike: Larabars are kind of expensive if you make them a regular snack, but they are super-easy to make at home and there are tons of recipes online (they are just dates and different combinations of nuts, fruits and spices pulsed together in a food processor and then formed into a bar). And whey protein is a powder. It digests quickly so it's great for post-workout recovery. I have used Gold Standard, Isoflex and Biox brands. I haven't had the Isoflex in a while, but the Biox tastes a lot richer than the Gold Standard. I tend to use the chocolate flavours the most. They go great with berries and coconut milk in my smoothies! I would stick to their chocolate or vanilla. Some of the fruit flavours can be hit and miss. Look for whey protein isolate - that's the best for recovery.
  • Options
    I go the easy route and just buy muscle milk powder.  One scoop + 8 oz H20, super easy.  I think they taste pretty good, but FI hates Muscle Milk brand.  He says they taste bitter, but I don't notice it.  I buy the cookies and cream flavor, yum!

If it was a really long workout and I need more, I blend ice, half a frozen banana, some soy milk and one scoop of powder.  It has the consistency of a milkshake. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you unchat.

I will try that... Grocery shopping is tomorrow so I cant wait to test it out

• Options
    @unchaten I want to try making larabars, but I don't have a food processor :(  I might have to see if my blender can handle it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards