Plus-Sized

Plus Size + Spray Tanning?

Are any of you getting a spray tan - like custom airbrush or anything?  I would like a nice natural glow but I don't tan very well in the sun.  There is a place here that uses the "Norvell" system which seems to be pretty "natural" looking with no orangy stuff.  You stand in this booth and there are large holes that a person uses a sprayer on you while standing outside of it.  I really want to do this this but I am hesistant with my body, I don't want to gross someone out and the women I see going into these places are normally skinny... If I were to go what would I wear? I don't own a bikini nor would I be comfortable wearing one - I definitely dont want tan lines up top since my dress is strapless and low cut in the back.  I am a size 16/18 - and I had gastric bypass a few years ago... I have a lot of loose skin since I was a tight 30/32 before surgery.  The whole thing makes me so scared but I think it would look so nice to have a little bit of a glow.  

Re: Plus Size + Spray Tanning?

• I've done booths before, but they aren't customized like the one you are describing. I am getting a customized airbrush by an actual person the week before my wedding. My plan is to wear a pair of FI's old boxers and a sports bra. For the sports bra, I am going to tuck in the straps so it doesn't leave crazy tan lines. Maybe that'll work for you too??
  • I'm an 18 as well and have been entertaining the thought of a spray tan, although I'm extremely pale with freckles (okay okay, I'm kindof a ginger) and I'm not sure how it would look on. 

Aside from the possibility of looking like I belong in Willy Wonka's factory, like you I'm also worried about my size.  I would probably just go in a pair of panties that you don't mind throwing away afterwards.. you don't have to wear a bikini bottom or a thong or anything skimpy.  To keep you from having tan lines, your best bet is to go topless but you could probably also get those strapless stick-on bras if you don't want to be all bare on top.  Just stick it on the front of the girls to cover, but your neck and back will still be free from lines. 

Remember that whoever is tanning you has probably seen it ALL - people who are smaller than you, the same as you, and much larger.  She's not there to judge you; she's just going to do her job.  Even if you feel a bit uneasy, just act like you own the place and it'll be fine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have spray tanned many times. You can wear whatever you want, I have always gone topless so I don't have lines, and a pair of cheap throw a way panties.  My best advice is to go try it now. This way you will know if you like it or not..... if you don't, you will have plenty of time for it to wear off before your big day!! 
  • aynos77aynos77 member
    First Comment
    I am just going to give you this advise from the perspective of a beauty professional. I don't do spary tanning, but do full body waxing, which is way more personal imo and I really could care less what a person looks like. Also I have never heard any of my co-workers ever commenting on such a thing either. I think we are in the business b/c we like to make women look and feel beautiful and every woman is beautiful.. I say go get it done and don't worry about what the lady is going to think.

• i am going to try out the spray thing in the summer, i am pudgy and pasty :D
    i think it will look nice with the ivory dress since i feel so white - my mom wants me pale & pure lol

Aynos77 - any suggestions of where to go in the Poconos ?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • I would find a place that is private so you can wear as little as possible. Honestly, they have probably seen it all! They don't care. If they did, they shouldn't be in the business. 

I got a fake tan once and I was alone in a room with someone and I was wearing only my underwear. I would try it waaaay in advance too so that if you do end up orange and streaked.. its no where near your wedding day. 
  • Like PP said- I worked in a tanning salon throughout my college years.  Not one of my employees every montioned someone's size and it honestly never crossed my mind.  Go, wear what you are comfy in but don't worry about the professional judging :)

http://frankenstiensgirl.weebly.com
    Photobucket
    April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Save The Dates
  • You are all wonderful..... thank you SO much for easing my mind about it!!!  I am going to do it! I'll try it well before the wedding to make sure I like it... my dress is "dark ivory" so I think a nice glow will look fantastic.  I'm quite pastey! 
  • i only have one piece of advice. dont wear deoterant. it will turn your pits green like moldy green. and like everyone else said dont worry they have seen it all. my mom and i are going to get spray tanned the week of my wedding. maybe have a friend come with you so that you feel better about yourself. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards