Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Black Bear Crossing

My folks went to check this place out.  They came back with negative reviews, despite what others are saying.  Regarding the outdoor, but covered, ceremony, they said there would be bird poop on the guests benches.  Inside they said the space was smaller than stated, and that 150 people would be cramped and noisy (stating refrigerators right next to where guests sit) and no room for a band.

HELP!  I live in Colorado so I can't check this place out, but my FI and I really liked what we saw online.

What is this venue really like??

Re: Black Bear Crossing

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm PM isn't working... is there a way to email you?
    MSP Boards Signature Challenge: You and Your Flower Girl Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hoff0079hoff0079 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes-I am so frustrated that PM isn't working. 
    My email is: hockey13sm@hotmail.com
  • Options
    VeittobeVeittobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother got married there.  They had a guest list of a little under 100 and used their i-pod for their music.  We were quite comfortable space wise, but not sure how it would be with a larger party.  

I don't get the "poop on the benches" comment.  I didn't see that happen.  

One frustrating thing about the outdoor ceremony is that it's in a park where lots of random people are running around enjoying the area.  We had a few kids and their Dad yelling in the park quite a bit during the ceremony.  It was very distracting.  But, the ceremony space itself is very beautiful.  Plus it's great how it's covered just in case you get bad weather.

We got ready in the basement bathroom.  I was not a big fan of this.  It was like my HS locker room.  Not a good place for the bride's getting ready photos.  

The food was great!  There were a lot of compliments on that.  I think the cost was a little high.  But it was very beautiful.  I know others who have been very happy with their wedding there.  I think my only concern would be the size - I'm not sure what would comfortably fit.  

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.
    Mike and Kelly 10.01.10
    MSP Signature Challenge:Favorite Registry Item=Wine Cellar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    BIO!! Updated 06/20/10

• Options
    brink131brink131 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I were really interested in this place as well. We also live out of state and had my folks go check it out for us. They came back with a glowing review of how beautiful it is and thought it would be perfect for us. When I called to talk to the event coordinator though, I was told that they only do one food tasting per year and only for people who have already signed a contract with them. I really wanted to taste their food before plopping a bunch of money down and that sounded fishy to me. Also, comparing their food prices to other similar venues, BBC is a few bucks higher for most items. My mom went back to talk to the head chef to see if we could schedule a tasting before signing the contract and the chef was quite rude and unfriendly and said they don't make exceptions to that policy and they won't make any changes to the menu for you. So they lost our business. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards