Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Glassware vs. Plastic

Our bartending package comes with plastic cups - for everything - liquor, water, tea, etc.  Obviously, I'd prefer glass, but that costs more...I think about $500 for 100 people.  The costs just keep adding up....please vote - would you pay that much extra for the glass upgrade?

Re: Glassware vs. Plastic

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I much prefer drinking out of glass, so I'd splurge on this if you can, but wouldn't call it a necessity.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the plastic.  If it's the nice plastic glasses (the really sturdy kind) then I wouldn't care but if they're cheapo glasses then I would much rather drink out of real glasses.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    SCogs18SCogs18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Real glass is much classier and I will always prefer it.  However, if you can't afford it don't stress over it too much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_glassware-vs-plastic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:df1ad4cc-1e55-4388-aff5-1c6d4d015a47Post:4c43af06-2cea-4eea-a3e8-7f7a4585acab">Re: Glassware vs. Plastic</a>:
    [QUOTE]I much prefer drinking out of glass, so I'd splurge on this if you can, but wouldn't call it a necessity.
    Posted by skantrowitz[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't break your budget over this as long as the only thing that is plastic is the glassware. And as jagore said, if it really sturdy plastic then it isn't so bad. But if in the end you can work it into your budget, go for it.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    ewithnellewithnell member
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to do sturdy plastic at my wedding! Because:
    1. We're having BBQ and it's really low-key.
    2. Less possibility of broken glass (girls are always ditching the heels after a certain point on the dance floor!)
    3. I could care less what people think of the drinkwear..I mean really? Pathetic if you're going to go to a wedding and judge people based on what you're drinking (or eating!) out of. 

My two cents Smile

• Options
    LoveYouBLoveYouB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldnt spend $500 on a cup upgrade if you have other areas in your budget that you'd rather upgrade. I wouldnt really care  or even notice if I went to a wedding and the bartender served me in a plastice cup.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsmustard12mrsmustard12 member
    edited December 2011
    My cocktail hour is outside by the pool and they told me no glass allowed.  Since I don't really want the tiny cheap plastic cups I've been looking for other options.  I'm even considering having nicer (non glass) cups made that can double as favors.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think glassware is much nicer but that price is ridiculous.  If you can't afford it I'd go with plastic.  Or if your venue isn't strict maybe you can rent glasses from an outside vendor.  Overall I don't think plastic is a big deal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mandibulus00mandibulus00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the input!  I think I'm going to ask if I can get a little discount if I purchase some nicer sturdier plasticware.  The ones that are included are the frat party red cups, which I definately don't want.  I think the bartender will be okay with me buying nicer plastic cups, which should definately be cheaper than renting the glasses for so much $$$.
    Thanks again :)
  • Options
    ljs242000ljs242000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_glassware-vs-plastic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:df1ad4cc-1e55-4388-aff5-1c6d4d015a47Post:a17447b6-82b8-4fca-9067-efcfecf62dcd">Re: Glassware vs. Plastic</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cocktail hour is outside by the pool and they told me no glass allowed.  Since I don't really want the tiny cheap plastic cups I've been looking for other options.  I'm even considering having nicer (non glass) cups made that can double as favors.
    Posted by MDigeon1125[/QUOTE]

<div>Where are you and the others on here getting the non glass nicer cups or mugs that can double as favors? I am working on this with a screenprinting place. Just wondering what you guys were using? We are trying to be eco friendly so if they can keep reusing this it out weighs that its made from plastic, I think.</div><div>Thanks!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Obviously glass is better, but I don't think it's a huge deal.  If you really want to do glass, consider doing wine or pint glasses as your favor (personalized, of course) and using plastic for everything else.  You won't pay for rentals that way, and the glasses will be an extra special way to remember your big day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards