Christian Weddings

Ceremony Readings

Are you doing one or more, and if so, what are you doing?

We are for sure having a reading, and have even picked our reader, but we don't know what we want read.  We have put 1 Corinthians 13 in our ceremony outline as a placeholder, but I'd like to do something else.  Our reader is a bit of a poet (he has a B.A. in Creative Writing), so I asked him if he could come up with something.  But in case he can't, what are you ladies doing?
image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: Ceremony Readings

• edited December 2011
    i havent gone over ceremony readings yet. 1 corin 13 is typical tho. 

my FI mentioned about the cord of 3 strands (ecclesiates 4:12) so we might do that.
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cousins sang a version of 1 Cor 13.  We did that instead of a reading.  There are lots of options here http://documentsanddesigns.com/index_pages/vows_verses_index.htm
  • edited December 2011
    i love ruth 1:16.  it wasn't spoken out of romantic love but i think it's so beautiful.
    "don't urge me to ever leave you; where you go i will go also.  your people will be my people and your god will be my god."

• mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandma wanted to have a part in our ceremony very, very badly so we're having her do a reading. I think I'm going to let her pick. I know she'll be pick some kind of scripture to read and FI and I are okay with whatever she picks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    We are having 1 John 4:7-12. The one about loving each other as Jesus loved us. And we are doing the cord of three strands braiding thing, so I'm sure our pastor will talk about that too.
  • edited December 2011
    We have selected Song of Solomon 2:10-13.  I am still searching for some other verses.

Brandon Heath has a song called "Love Never Fails" that you could have someone read.  Beautiful song.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    157 image Invited guests
    73image Will be celebrating with us!
    81 image Would rather look at our wedding photo album and/or video
    3 image Making me wait

RSVP Date September 18, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I like the 1 John idea.  1 Cor. 13 was the only passage that was coming to my mind, but I didn't want to do something quite so common, and we wanted something longer than just a verse or 2... but I'll have to suggest that one...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our scripture reading was Jeremiah 29:11-13.

We also had an excerpt read. We thought the words were very appropriate -

“They say they will love, comfort, honor each other to the end of their days. They say they will cherish each other and be faithful to each other always. They say they will do these things not just when they feel like it, but even -- for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health -- when they don’t feel like it at all. In other words, the vows they make could hardly be more extravagant. They give away their freedom. They take on themselves each other’s burdens. They bind their lives together... The question is, what do they get in return? “They get each other in return... There will always be the other to talk to, to listen to... There is still someone to get through the night with, to wake into the new day beside. If they have children, they can give them, as well as each other, roots and wings. If they don’t have children, they each become the other’s child. “They both still have their lives apart as well as a life together. They both still have their separate ways to find. But a marriage made in heaven is one where a man and a woman become more richly themselves together than the chances are either of them could ever have managed to become alone.” -- Frederick Buechner
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I like that one!
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_ceremony-readings-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:3754e6b3-d6f7-4229-a05c-ac79fc7e5ffdPost:6e38c1f2-52a1-4ec3-baff-4b56c82c12f6">Re: Ceremony Readings</a>:
    [QUOTE]i havent gone over ceremony readings yet. 1 corin 13 is typical tho.  my FI mentioned about the cord of 3 strands (ecclesiates 4:12) so we might do that.
    Posted by amongthelilies25[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what we did.  1 Corinthians 13 and Ecclesiastes 4:9-12.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    We did "These Hands"

Matron of Honor reads:
    (bride), please hold (groom)'s hands, palms up, so you may see the gift that they are to you.
    These are the hands, young and strong and vibrant with love, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises to love you all the days of his life.
    These are the hands that look so large and clumsy, yet will be so gentle as he holds your baby for the first time.
    These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.
    These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes:  Tears of sorrow and tears of joy.
    These are the hands that will tenderly lift your chin and brush your cheek as they raise your face to look into his eyes:  eyes that are filled completely with his overwhelming love for you.

Best Man reads:
    (groom), please hold (bride)'s hands, palms up, so you may see the gift that they are to you.
    These are the hands, smooth, young, and carefree, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as she pledges her love and commitment to you all the days of her life.
    These are the hands that will hold each child in tender love, soothing them through illness and hurts, supporting and encouraging them along the way, and knowing when it's time to let go.
    These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times.
    These are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick or sonsole you when you are grieving.
    These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.
    These are the hands that will give you support as she encourages you to chase down your dreams.  Together, as a team, following God's plan for your lives.

I hope there's not typos - I just typed it back up really quick from a hard copy (I just got my computer back, the hard drive crashed in FL).  :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards