African American Weddings
Options

The Money/Dollar dance?

I had never heard of this til lthe Knot.  Now I see it mentioned alot and am wondering if it is a cultural/location thing.  My fiance & I are AA and getting married in Philadelphia.  It sounds like a great/fun idea and seems to bring in tons of money.  However, we just dont want to do it if its not heard of in our ethnicity!  Anyone have any ideas or comments?  Thanks in advance :-)!

Koretta
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: The Money/Dollar dance?

• Options
    desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Every wedding I've been to, there was a dollar dance. (all aa weddings) I don't know if its a location thing, im in southern ca. some people dont do it cause they think it's tacky, but others do it so they can have spending money on their honeymoon. Im almost positive that Im having a dollar dance.
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    While I have seen this event occur at Latino, Filipino, and Greek weddings, I have not yet seen this in the AA community and I was born and raised in Philly.  You may want to ask your older friends/relatives about this one.
  • Options
    csuperstar02csuperstar02 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know, but they've been at most weddings that I've attended through the years. (including one for a caucasian couple this past summer). I am in southeast Texas. I agree w/ PP on checking w/ others who are in your area.

?Well-behaved women rarely make history.?

?PAL/PGAL Welcome!?

Untitled

?BFP #1~4.29.11 | Blighted Ovum DX~6.2.11 | D&C~6.9.11?

Dx Unicornuate Uterus 4.12

?BFP #2~10.12.12,EDD 6.27.13| 11.8.12 - no growth :(| natural m/c 11.25.12| D&C 2.8.13 ?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi fellow philly girl !!!! Ive seen it in aa, jamaican and latino weddings. But its pretty much up to your family comfortability with it. Since its not a tradition in your family, I agree that you should maybe discuss it with older family members and see how they think it might go over. 
    HTH
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with KSturgis. I have been to many weddings. I have NEVER seen this and where I am from its considered Ghetto. But I'm from MI. It may be different in southen states/
  • Options
    kkidd28kkidd28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The hard part is there hasnt been a wedding in my family since I was a kid so of course I don't remember !  Plus I'm not from the Philly area so it wouldn't matter anyway I guess  My FMIL is not very talkative with me so I don't know about his family either.  I will try to get her to let me know.....he only has 1 married cousin so far and neither of us can remember much about her weding either.  So I dont think there is a family tradition for us yet.......
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm from Louisiana.  And it's popular down here, especially in the cajun and creole cultures.  They usually pass a boot around...and it's not unique to AA couples either.  I work with a girl who is not AA and she said her family will definitely be passing the boot.  I haven't decided it we will, if my family just randomly starts pinning money on me, I suppose we'll do it then.  They tend to do that toward the end of the night.
    Bio (updated 4/3/10 with invitations) AAW Board Brides
    500 invitedimage 301 acceptedimage 101 declinedimage

RSVP date: April 23rd Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm from NJ and I've never seen it done at a wedding. I would definitely ask your family and friends what they think before you decide to do it
  • Options
    nolageenolagee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from New Orleans and have seen this at a bunch of weddings. I just got married on New Year's Day and people kept asking us TO have one. I didn't want to have one for a few reasons. One being I can't dance, Two my wedding was right after the holidays so I figured it wouldn't get much of a response, besides I saw there were a ton of gifts, Three it just didn't feel right. But I think people missed it just because so many ppl asked us to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards