November 2012 Weddings

How to make my mom happy (day of)?

Due to budget reasons, I figured I'd have to resort to doing my hair day of instead of going to a salon. My mom and I were going to do it.

The thought didn't quite to appeal to me as neither of us are "girly" or know how to do hair. Plus her and I have very different ideas of what looks good. I don't think we've ever agreed on my hair (only thing we agreed on is to wear it down - unusual in itself). There's a big chance of us disagreeing, and I really would hate for us to be "snippy" with each other over hair.

So, FI's sisters had asked what I was doing. I admitted, for budget reasons, I'm just going to try and do my own. They said absolutely not. They said they were going to schedule me an appointment & they were going to pay for it as a gift. This honestly just made me very happy. I'm so excited that I can get my hair professionally done.

I told my mom about this - not realizing how important us doing my hair was to her - and she started crying because it was something important to her & she had been looking forward to it. In addition to the fact that I'm not wearing any of her jewelry and anything of hers. She felt bad crying about it - it was like an instant reaction and didn't even want to tell me.

I asked her if there is something important to her that she would like me to wear - she couldn't come up with anything.

So, I really don't know what to do to make her happy that day. I'm her only daughter, last to get married, so I can kind of see how this is important to her (though without "shorting" myself - not the best term, but not really sure how to word it).

I'm thinking of asking her to do my nails - as I'm not going to get them done. I had considered scraping up the money to have them done, but nails aren't that big of a deal to me & think that maybe this can kind of make up for the hair.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could include of my mother's on the day of? Or somehow include her in some way? She's been a great help in the planning (she's so has been a big help and a big part of everything already).
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How to make my mom happy (day of)?

• I think you should sit down withyour mom and explain that just because youre getting your done professionally doesnt mean shes not included...you should invite her to your hair trial and appointment and ask her opinion, even if you dont go with it. It will make her feel involved and you will be happy also. As far as borrowing something of hers to wear, it doesnt have to be jewlery, per se. Maybe use her perfume, if you like it? Or wear a hair pin of hers...be creative...you can even write her a heartfelt note and give it to her on the day of to show her how much you care
    Anniversary
  • Thank you for your input rsaleh84! Unfortunately I'm not having a trial... but I am going to send her pictures of what I like & get her input. But I did ask if she would be there for my appointment and she said absolutely!

I definitely want to do something nice for her the day of.

She's been very involved so far, which I could not be more happy about. I think I'm more excited about her being with me while getting ready than anything.

I think we will have to be creative on something I can wear of hers.

Thanks again rsaleh84 :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You're welcome!  I'm sure you will come up with the perfect thing to make her happy :)  Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards