Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Alternatives to foundation?

Hey guys! So, I'm pretty good at doing my own make-up and definitely plan on doing it myself for my big day. However, whenever I read articles/tips on wedding make-up, everyone talks about the need for a flawless base...i.e., using liquid foundation and concealer. I've strongly dislike wearing liquid foundation & concealer and don't want to start using it just for my wedding. Does anyone have any alternatives to foundation that I could use? I still want my skin to look great for the photos! 

Re: Alternatives to foundation?

• Options
    Have you tried Bare Minerals? It's like a powder but doesn't look cakey and covers pretty well. This is what I use day to day, and it's most likely what I'll use on my wedding day as well. If you use a primer first, it lasts even longer and looks even better.
  • Options
    You really should re-think your strategy; you don't necessarily need a full coverage foundation with concealer, but they certainly do help. You should always start off with some base, maybe even just a tinted moistureizer/bb cream, this will help prevent you from looking too washed out in your photos. A base will help to even your skin tone, hide any redness/blotchy-ness and give a more even texture for you other makeup (blush, bronzer, highlighter, eyeshadow)-- this is achieved most often with liquid foundation and concealer. You only need concealer if ther is stuff that you need to, well, conceal, like dark circles, blemishes, scars, marks, etc. After you apply a base, you may want to top it off with a matte-fying translucent powder that will help absorb any excess oils from your face that may cause your other makeup (brozer, blush) to go on unevenly.

Use this time before your wedding to test out some tinted moisturizers, tinted bb creams, light coverage foundations, powder foundations, creme to powder foundations, different types of concealrs, etc. Try hitting up an Ulta or a Sephora - they usually have plenty of types to try as samples. I use the maybelinne dream BB cream (when I'm having good skin days) and I really like the cream-gel formula. It's not heavy at all. Also, make sure to apply your base of choice to your neck and decollete (sp?) area so that it's captured well in photos. Have a friend take some flash photos of you to see if you have enough or too much on.

Your makeup should be heavier for your wedding - not theater/drag queen heavy, but heavier than normal. The last thing you want to do is to look back and be able to only focus on those acne scars (or insert other imperfection you are self concious about)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Try out some BB creams.

But seriously also check out some foundations that are not heavy coverage. Makeup Forever HD foundation is great. So is Nars Sheer Glow. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Is there such a thing as BB cream without the tint?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to Alternatives to foundation?:
    There are alternatives to liquid but you are not going to get the greatest coverage if you use a powder foundation. You can go to any Clinique counter and get your makeup done for free. It is all allergy tested and they can do a trial run for you and teach you how to do it at home.....For FREE! 
    One day you will meet someone and it will become clear why no one else ever worked out
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_alternatives-to-foundation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:2a00efb0-715d-4320-ac4e-b1d2d6cb4ab4Post:e6013e52-f80b-4e14-b336-228124026389">Re: Alternatives to foundation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there such a thing as BB cream without the tint?
    Posted by Jessalyn2013[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>Yes</div><div>Look for "sheer coverage" or "tinted moisturizer"</div>
    One day you will meet someone and it will become clear why no one else ever worked out
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_alternatives-to-foundation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:2a00efb0-715d-4320-ac4e-b1d2d6cb4ab4Post:ba701f12-45f7-4b02-8ad5-b577b18c66ab">Re: Alternatives to foundation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Alternatives to foundation? : There are alternatives to liquid but you are not going to get the greatest coverage if you use a powder foundation. You can go to any Clinique counter and get your makeup done for free. It is all allergy tested and they can do a trial run for you and teach you how to do it at home.....For FREE! 
    Posted by FutureMrsEnnis[/QUOTE]

<div>You're shilling Clinique all over this board.  Are you sure you don't work for them?</div>
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! i'll have to experiment with the bb creams
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards