Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

special meal & difficult vendor. what to do?

I need a gluten free meal for a guest.  We're having a buffet dinner of chicken franchaise, eggplant rollatini, seasonal roasted vegs, pasta, salad & rolls.  When I told our venue coordinator that I'd need a gluten free meal she goes "oh well there's salad.... and the vegetables..." Um, I'm not going to make my guest just eat a salad (if she even could, I have to confirm there's no croutons in it).  I finally got her to say she would talk to the woman doing the cooking about making her just a seperate piece of chicken.  Fine.  But now I'm just worried - what if this person isn't familiar with gluten free cooking?  What if she cross contaminates?  Or what if my guest just gets a dry piece of baked chicken and nothing else?  Would you be worried about this?

FI suggested we buy her a meal elsewhere from a restaurant with a GF menu and bring it in.  The venue had said previously to someone else at the tasting that they could bring in their own meal for someone so I don't see it being an issue.  But should we request at least a discount on the per person charge if I have to buy my own meal and bring it in for someone?  I feel if they can't supply something adequate I shouldn't have to pay for this guest, at least not in full.

Re: special meal & difficult vendor. what to do?

• Options
    jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you maybe add in another meal option (like roasted/grilled chicken or a fish) that doesn't have gluten in it that won't break the bank?

ETA: We have someone who needs a gluten-free meal also and our beef option does not contain gluten.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't really know what the eggplant rollatini is.  Is that not gluten-free? 

We didn't have any special meals for the GF people because our buffet offered enough to accomodate them, but our venue did prepare a separate plate for my friend that has several severe allergies, including gluten, corn, and dairy.  I told my friend what would be on the buffet, and she sent me a list of what she could eat and how it had to be prepared as simply as possible (as in, salmon, only with lemon juice or olive oil), I sent that to my venue coordinator, and it was not a problem.  Maybe you could do something similar, and tell your venue how to prepare what you're serving for the GF people? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A professional cook should be familiar with gluten-free cooking and avoiding cross-contamination. I'd send the venue coordinator something along the lines of, "This will amend our contract to include the following additional terms. One gluten-free meal of the same quality as the other meals will be provided. This meal will include at least chicken, cooked vegetables, and a salad."

My mother is allergic to wheat, but I plan on having all the catering wheat-free, and putting it in the contract. (also peanut-free and dairy-free)
  • Options
    peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MilkDuds - if we do bring in our own meal then is it reasonable to request a discount on the price per person for that guest?  I would think so, if they're not providing an adequate dinner for her then what am I paying for?

the eggplant rollatini is just eggplant parm rolled up basically.  so the eggplant is breaded and fried.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    ^If the eggplant is breaded, then it may contain gluten. I completely understand your concern. I have to work this out for my wedding, too, since two of my closest friends are allergic to gluten. The event coordinator said it would be no problem to do gluten-free entrees, but I am worried because gluten is in so many things, and some people think gluten allergy isn't a big deal or only means wheat-free. I hope the vendor can work with you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You make it sound like the caterer is willing to make a chicken dish for the guest, but that you're worried about the quality (which is perfectly fair) so you want to bring in outside food.  I would be surprised if the caterer will discount the cost for the gluten free guest if they've already said that they could provide something.  It's couldn't hurt to ask though, but I wouldn't be shocked if they say no. 
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I think I'd just bring in a GF meal from an outside vendor.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't realize the eggplant dish was breaded, I thought it was just plain eggplant.  Can you ask to go over with the chef (not your venue coordinator) how she will prepare the GF option?  You might be able to get a feel from the chef whether or not she is familiar with GF-cooking and if she understands that the meal needs to be as good as what you serve to other guests.  If you get a good feeling from her, I would go with what your venue can provide.  
  • Options
    peanutty2peanutty2 member
    edited December 2011
    Yea, it was a big "maybe" when we left.  The coordinator acted like I was asking her to reinvent sliced bread and she finally concluded "well maybe she can make her a plain piece of chicken on the side."  I'm going to ask to speak to the actually chef and see if she is familiar with GF cooking.  I would hope my guest won't just be stuck with a piece of dry chicken as her meal!  Also, my concern is what if they do agree to do it, but aren't familiar with GF cooking, there's just a big risk of cross contamination then.

Jessica I agree.  I'm def going to try to get the coordinator to get me the chef to talk to and go from there.  If they can't provide a quality, GF dish, I will then discuss bringing in something else and a discount.

Renza I agree - people don't realize just how serious it is!  I have a similar issue being a vegetarian that people think "oh it's only chicken stock, no big deal."  Sure, no biggie, I'll just be sick as a dog for the next couple days!

Thank you all!
  • Options
    slpankuchslpankuch member
    edited December 2011
    Can you talk to the chef personally and not through your coordinator? Sometimes they don't really know food as well as the chef. Search for chicken spices online that are gluten-free to give the chef ideas of how to season the chicken.

I don't know if I would go to an outside place to get the meal for that one person. They might feel a little like a burden, unless you just don't tell them. I would definitely make the caterer that didn't help give you your $ back for that plate though.

I find it hard to believe they can't accommodate allergies like that. Gluten allergies are pretty common now. Now a days they can make gluten-free pasta and such. Tell them if you are paying for the plate, they need to accommodate! Also I would make them sign a paper that says that they are aware of the food allergy that way they are liable and will have to make sure it's gluten-free.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    UMMM a bit off the actual question but doesn't the coordinater work for YOU? Aren't they the ones supposed to be COORDINATIONING so you don't have to worry about so many mundane things ? I'm a little confused . Does she work for the caterer? Now back to topic.... Gluten free is pretty easy. And by the way... You can buy gluten free croutons:) I would speak directly to the caterer and go over some easy options for the O E meal. Then i would fire the coordinater who seems not be doing their job.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_special-meal-difficult-vendor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:5e5d8d6d-86bf-4e2e-a38c-a3b3405dbff6Post:34b1cd10-11a8-40f8-a854-a23ff8e1c481">Re: special meal & difficult vendor. what to do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]UMMM a bit off the actual question but doesn't the coordinater work for YOU? Aren't they the ones supposed to be COORDINATIONING so you don't have to worry about so many mundane things ? I'm a little confused . Does she work for the caterer? Now back to topic.... Gluten free is pretty easy. And by the way... You can buy gluten free croutons:) I would speak directly to the caterer and go over some easy options for the O E meal. Then i would fire the coordinater who seems not be doing their job.
    Posted by Lynne101[/QUOTE]

I think she's dealing with the venue's coordinator - that means she works for the venue, not the bride.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards