June 2012 Weddings
Options

QOTD 5/21

Come the next mass holiday season, we'll all be married.  What do you plan to do for Thanksgiving/Christmas/etc this year?  Does it differ from what you did last year?

Re: QOTD 5/21

• Options
    Yeah, it does differ. We will go to Cape Cod for one of the two because his parents are separated and his dad is leaving.

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We'll be doing the same running around for both holidays.
  • Options
    Nothing about holidays will change for us.  We typically play every holiday by ear and try to alternate from the previous year to be fair to both of our families.  We did stay home last year for Christmas though since it was our first Christmas in our own home.  We won't even begin to figure out holidays until early November.  LOL.
  • Options
    Usually we do my dad's side on Christmas eve, my FI's side Christmas day, and my mom's side on some random day while my cousins are on break from school. 

This year may differ though.  My mom's side is thinking about going somewhere to make it easier on my grandpa.  It will be the first year without my grandma there and we all decided while we were in AZ that we'd go somewhere and be together to make it easier for him.  We were thinking of all going to AZ but then my aunt (the nice one) and him thought about going somewhere in the Caribbean.  I'm not sure if that will happen though or not.
  • Options
    Nothing different; FI's annual family gathering is always the Saturday before Thanksgiving and we ALWAYS go. No exceptions. Through an ice storm one year and it's always worth it.

We are thinking about splitting Christmas up though; his family in C-town one year and my family in Barbados the next. We aren't sure but it's a discussion.

We always spend Easter and Independence Day at home anyway and we just prefer it that way.
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    We started splitting holidays last year. So this year we will do Thanksgiving here in Cincy with my family. Then for Christmas we will go to Orlando for his family. I have to admit that I like going south for a week or so as the winter starts. I also can convince my FI to take me to Disney for at least a day.
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • Options
    We usually play the holidays by ear. Alot of times, my mom's side will host a christmas dinner at either my mom's house or my aunt's house. We never know where it will be til almost the last minute because of everyone's work schedule. This year for my dad's side, the christmas party will be in Raleigh NC, which is extremely difficult to get to because its about 7 hours away. However, we are going to try our best to make it because we only see them once or twice a year and they are all coming to the wedding.  it will be difficult trying to share time with both sets of parents. Our pastor told us that we will have to explain that each of them will just have to work with the other.... we'll see how that goes! lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    We have always spent Thanksgiving apart, and the Chistmas we do a massive drive to see both families. This year I will finally get to see my own husband on Thanksgiving! And I refuse to try to see both families for Christmas, so each family will get one holiday. I anticipate a lot of guilt tripping.
  • Options
    Nothing different. We've been dividing up the holidays between each of our families for at least the past two years. FSIL having our niece actually helped take the Christmas day drive way down from like 3 hours one way to 45 minutes. I don't know if that excuse will work again this year but I'm hoping.

If it doesn't, our Christmas day will look something like this:

1) Open gifts to each other and get ready.
    2) Go to my parent's house about 5 minutes away.
    3) Go to his parent's house 45 minutes away to open those gifts
    4) Go to his aunt's house 3 hours away with everyone who was already at his parents house to hang out/eat/open more gifts. Does not compute why we had to stop at his parents house too but this happened two years ago.

• Options
    Woohoo!!! :) Only one more brithday stands between FI and I and our wedding too!!

I'm not really sure how it'll differ. We've spent the holidays together the past couple of years and each one has been a little different trying to figure out what works for us. I honestly just can't wait for the holidays when we have kids because we've already decided that we aren't going anywhere once they're born! We do LOTS of travelling right now.
  • Options
    Oh my! Christmas and those holidays seem SO off my radar that I don't even know what next this coming holiday season will be like! But I know it will be extra special because it will be the first one that we are MARRIED!! YAY :)
    A+K
    "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."
    --St. Catherine of Siena
  • Options
    ncd5015ncd5015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Yes our plans are changing. We want to host Thanksgiving at our house this year. For Christmas, we'll either go to PA or Europe.  My mom is looking into a trip to Vienna

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We usually try to split our holidays. FI is in the military so sometimes he isn't here for them which makes it easier on me and I can stay home with my family. Don't really know if I'm required to visit his because I'd rather not. :/
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Fi(well, DH then) always has to work on Christmas and thanksgiving, so I will be doing the holidays with my family. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Nothing will change....his parents live 3 hours away so we spend the holidays (plus a couple extra days) with them.  My immediate family lives within an hour of my--soon to be our--house so we could see them every weekend if we wanted to.  We celebrate the holidays with my family usually the Saturday before.
  • Options
    Since FI is the youngest, his family already has a "plan" in place for splitting holidays, and we've already been following that for the last few years.  This year is his family's year for Easter and Thanksgiving, and mine for Christmas.

That said, I'd like to spend Christmas here home alone, but we'll see what happens.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    FI actually loves to work on holidays (overtime), so he actually will never take time off to celebrate a holiday.  Not kidding.  His twin brother is exactly like that too :) so, his family usually celebrates on days that don't conflict with their work schedules.  Last year, he DID take New Years Day off because he wanted to be with me, and I was in FL celebrating with my family.

He'll take Christmas Eve off only because it's NOT an overtime holiday for his company and his family takes turns hosting the annual family Christmas party on Christmas Eve.

I want to celebrate with my family more often, but they live in FL, so it's not always possible.
  • Options

Nothing will change from last year, but last year changed from all previous years.

We will go to FI's aunt's house to see his family on Christmas Eve (after church service). Christmas day will be at our house and our parents will come for dinner.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • Options
    Nothing will be changing for us either.  Thanksgiving will still be split... The rest of the holidays were never split due to religious differences (thank God!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We probably won't do anything different, except swap whose house we'll be at for Christmas Even and whose house we'll be at for Christmas Day (we started that tradition last year when we got engaged).  Holidays are pretty easy for us since our parents live in the same town and their houses are about 3 minute drive away from one another.
  • Options
    Since FI and I have lived together, his mom has come to visit us for x-mas every other year and on the other years one or both of us will go down to visit her either right before or after x-mas. He doesn't really have any other close family, but my family is super close and we always celebrate together, so I won't miss it for anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    We had Thanksgiving at my parents house (FI's parents drove up for it) last year, but FI's parents want to host it this year. FI and I would like to do an American Thanksgiving at our house just for some friends.

Our last Christmas, FI and I went to my parents' place after finishing exams, and after a few days, FI flew to the States to be with his brother, SIL, and parents for Christmas. I had Christmas with my family, then flew to the States for New Year's with FI's family. I think we might all be at my parents' house for Christmas this year...we're planning to alternate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards