Maryland-Baltimore

DJ and florist suggestions?

Hi everybody,

I'm kind of a newbie - I've been checking out this site occasionally for the past 2 months. All your posts and responses have been super helpful for me when it came to picking vendors, so THANK YOU! We are getting married at Gramercy in May 2011, and we need all the time since neither of us live in the Baltimore area right now.

We were going to decide on DJ's without actually meeting them, since its unlikely we can come down in the next 3-4 months. Right now I'm considering
AJ Smith from AJ Production
DJ Frank Young
C&J Entertainment
Any suggestions?

Also, we're looking for a budget friendly florist. I don't have a clear vision of what I want yet, so I want somebody who will be willing to brainstorm wih me a bit and give me suggestions. Also, do you think that waiting until 6 months before the date is ok for the florist - I really don't want to book one until we have a chance to meet them.

THANK YOU!

Re: DJ and florist suggestions?

• strawberrycrzstrawberrycrz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Absolute Entertainment for our DJ.  They did FI's brothers wedding, and did a fantastic job. 

For flowers we are using Essex Florist.  We just met with them this weekend and their prices seemed pretty resonable.  Essex Florist is the place that my mom has been getting flowers from for a very long time and we have always been very happy with everything that they do.
  • edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Flowers by Judy.  I don't know what you mean by "budget friendly" since everyone's budget is different... but if you give her a budget she will tell you what she can do for you within that range.  I had a very vague idea of what I wanted and she gave me tons of ideas and my flowers were amazing! And my bouquet was still beautiful when I got back from my honeymoon a week later.  And I booked her in February for my June wedding, so 6 months should be enough time!  No advice on a DJ, we used a band, but good luck. 
    *Erin*

MyBio image

• edited December 2011
    Hey! I am a May Gramercy bride as well! What date? Also, I am still hunting for a DJ. I am looking into Absolute Entertainment, Friendly Entertainment, and Orlando Entertainment.
  • edited December 2011

We used Absolute Entertainment too.  Jason Wallace was our DJ and we loved him!  They have a variety of DJs to choose from, in a wide range of prices, but I haven't heard a bad thing about any of the DJs there. 

Our florist was Colleen Reed at Divine Designs and Events.  I can't say enough good things about her.  She was absolutely fabulous to work with and very aware of budget constraints.  She was creative and full of ideas...very helpful. 

I HIGHLY recommend her and Jason at Absolute Entertainment.

• SLPMelSLPMel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also used Colleen Reed with Divine Design.  We were extremely happy.

We used a DJ from Absolute Entertainment, and were *not* happy at all.  I would just recommend you meeting with your actual DJ-because we've heard great things, but the DJ we got was a it of a dud.  We could have used an IPOD for music and been just as happy.....
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I third the recommendation for Colleen at Divine Designs - she is amazing and really easy to work with.  I had no clue what I wanted for flowers, just these really vague ideas, and she managed to take my random descriptions and put together something that was better than I could have imagined - exactly what I would have pictured if I could have.  We haven't had the wedding yet so I can't comment on the finished product, but I'm really confident that it will turn out great.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, thank you so much for all your help!

blondeintgeragrl - We're getting married on May 28th, 2011 at Gramercy. I had originally inquired about May 21st when we booked WAY back in November, but they said it was taken! It actually worked out fine at the end, because May 28th work better for our family since it is memorial day weekend!

Regarding the florist, I will have 6 bridesmaids (including MOH), 6 groomsmen, and 15 tables that require centerpieces. I was hoping to spend no more than $2000, potentially upto 2500, but nothing more. Is this reasonable?

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_dj-florist-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:85Discussion:bdc003ae-0a7f-41c5-a0f9-79a3dcfc9444Post:ec2393ee-f23b-412f-90a8-6bbc14cc17ec">Re: DJ and florist suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Regarding the florist, I will have 6 bridesmaids (including MOH), 6 groomsmen, and 15 tables that require centerpieces. I was hoping to spend no more than $2000, potentially upto 2500, but nothing more. Is this reasonable?
    Posted by malikpri[/QUOTE]

This is totally reasonable!  I would call around and talk to different florists to see what they can offer.  Colleen was great when it came to budget.  We had 12 people in our wedding party and 15 tables, and I don't think it was more than $2500.  But I don't remember exactly how much it was. 

Flowers by Judy is also great.  She did the flowers for a wedding I was in and they were beautiful.  My friend also said how easy she was to work with and creative, considering she didn't have a big budget.
  • strawberrycrzstrawberrycrz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that $2500 is more then resonable.  I got everything that I wanted for around $1,000.
  • JulieA99JulieA99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would recommend meeting all vendors before signing anything.
    Go to weddingwire.com   Most vendors are on there and you can see reviews from past brides.
    My Florist is Flowers by Judy - And so far it's been great I've been given many ideas but I'm still 6 months away from my wedding date!

Ilovethebeach16 - You got all those flowers for $300???  Wow, that's a steal!!

My DJ is World Renown. I got the info from other bride on here. They are an independent company and who I met is going to be my DJ.  I wanted to meet my DJ beforehand to make sure i got a good vibe, which I did.  I contacted Absolute Entertainment and they told me my DJ would be 'assigned to me'.  Which I didn't like because it didn't seem like they were catering to what I want.

Good Luck

• delluolmdelluolm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who was your DJ? We are thinking about booking with Joe Munson from Absolute after hearing nice reviews about him...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Flowers by Judy - she was wonderful!  

I used Bill Marsh (Carlysle Entertainment) for a DJ - he was great as well.

GL!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • edited December 2011
    Under no circumstances hire AJ productions.  First, they will not listen to your song requests.  They instead play whatever they want.  They are not prepared for the ceremony events and forget key details like who is giving the toast.

Worst of all, when you try to file a complaint with the owner, he simply gets angry with you, tells you it's all your fault, and then refuses to refund any money even though you are not satisfied.  DO NOT HIRE AJ PRODUCTIONS!

By the way, our wedding at the Gramercy was really wonderful other than for the DJ.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards