New Mexico

Name change

My wedding is less than 3 weeks away. I am going to take his name, but I am wondering when to do it. Can I start the process now?
Mrs Honey!

Re: Name change

• edited December 2011

I had the same question, and I found this article online: http://weddings.about.com/od/getorganized/a/changeyournam.htm

I am going to go buy the Name Change Kit (theknot.com store has it too) that has all the forms and things you need to know. I had a friend struggle through it, I do not want to go through that.

Best wishes,

Pam

• NoaHicks6610NoaHicks6610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Pam!

Kristen
    Mrs Honey!
  • edited December 2011
    The first thing you need to do is file your marriage license and get a couple of certified copies from the county clerks office. 
    Next, go to your local social security office and change your name with them.  They will mail you a new SS card with your new name.  When that comes, take it with you to get a new license.  Once you have your new license, everything else is pretty easy. 
    I'm in the process of changing my name and found this to be the easiest way to get everything changed. 
    HTH
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! Did you buy a name change kit? I don't really see the point myself...
    Mrs Honey!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-mexico_name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:130Discussion:7e6de8ff-c63c-47ee-9ad5-8550e165c9b4Post:46d1a904-cec3-45e7-b079-fb8b34cbc409">Re: Name change</a>:
    [QUOTE]The first thing you need to do is file your marriage license and get a couple of certified copies from the county clerks office.  Next, go to your local social security office and change your name with them.  They will mail you a new SS card with your new name.  When that comes, take it with you to get a new license.  Once you have your new license, everything else is pretty easy.  I'm in the process of changing my name and found this to be the easiest way to get everything changed.  HTH
    Posted by jengriego[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is exactly how I did it except I didn't have to wait for my new SS card to come in.  The SS office gave me a receipt showing the new name, but the MVD didn't even look at it - they just looked at my marriage license.  That said, drivers licenses have changed in the past 3 years and this may not be the case anymore...I'd call the MVD and ask.  IMO the "kit" is a waste of money.

</div>
    Damn you Nest for screwing up my siggy!

.: Diary of a Recovering Runner :.

Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't buy the kit, I didn't think it was worth the money.
  • edited December 2011
    This is porbably a stupid question but are you supposed to put your married name on your marriage license or your maiden name?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maiden name. There is a place to put in your married name "if you are changing it." BTW, make sure your witnesses print where they are supposed to print and sign where they are supposed to sign... I had a little trouble with my brother...
    Mrs Honey!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards