Just Engaged and Proposals

How to pick a date? How are you doing it and how to avoid (TMI) your period when doing so if not on

Hi :)

How are you all picking your dates?  I am clueless as to the date I want.  I got engaged 12-18-11.  I am thinking early 2013 but don't know when!  Also, when picking that far ahead, how to do you avoid your period if you are not on BC pills?  My cycle is not always regular.  There may not be a way to avoid it planning a year out, just curious how you all are planning and if you are thinking about the period factor. :)

Thanks girls!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
RSVP Deadline: February 28th

Re: How to pick a date? How are you doing it and how to avoid (TMI) your period when doing so if not on

• FI and I got engaged 10/1/11 and started by picking a general time frame. He didn't want summer and neither of us wanted winter, so that left spring or fall. Taking into consideration how long we wanted our engagement to be, that narrowed it down to Fall 2012 or Spring 2013 with a preference for Fall 2012. Then we started venue-shopping, and picked a date that was available at the venue we liked best. And voila, that left us with 10/6/12 as our wedding date. It sounds from your original post that you're looking to get married about a year from now as well. Do you have a preference for season? Are there any special dates (family events, etc.) that you'd like to avoid, or have your wedding on/near? Also, I'd recommend starting to look at venues and seeing what they have available. Some places book more than a year out.

I can't think off the top of my head any way to alter your cycle without HBC, especially if it's irregular to begin with. I'm on the pill myself and figured out that my period was going to fall right on my wedding, lucky me. But knowing that, I monkeyed with my pills ahead of time (using alternate contraception in the meantime, of course!) to delay my period by two weeks so it wouldn't conflict with the wedding or honeymoon. Is there a reason you couldn't or wouldn't do the pill? I'd talk to a doctor or gyno to see what your options are. Or, just stash some really good feminine protection in your wedding day emergency kit, just in case. ;)
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • I planned our date around school.  We got married across country and I could only miss one day of school for the semester, without being seriously ill, so we planned a Sunday wedding over Memorial weekend.  This gave all of our OOT guests, and us, two travel days without missing out on work.  Also, having a Sunday wedding allowed us to negotiate discounts without vendors since Saturday is the popular wedding day.

My menstrual cycle never came into mind when planning.  Luckily it happened the week between our wedding and honeymoon.  Since yours isn't regular I wouldn't try to plan things around it.  Just go with it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I wouldn't plan around it, either. Like PP said, is it possible to go on it temporarily? Last month I looked at the calendar and figured out that my period would come the week before the wedding. If it was the week of our honeymoon I'd have skipped a period to move it up. HBC is really the easiest way to make sure you don't have it, but it's pretty much impossible to plan around it. Find a date and venue that works for you, then worry about your period later.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • We decided on a season and then picked a month that worked best for us for taking off work, etc. Then we talked to our church and venues we were looking at, figured out what days they were both available and picked a date from the two on which both the church and our decided reception venue were available. 

As for the TMI portion - I honestly didn't even factor that into picking a date. 
    Anniversary
  • My favorite holiday is St. Patty's day and it happened to be a Saturday in 2012 so there it was.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We originally wanted a fall wedding, but I decided to change it to the summer before we had anything booked.  I wanted August 8th, but that happened to be a weekday.  So I went for the weekend before it, being August 4th.  August 4th was taken, and the week after, so we now have things booked for July 28th. That is how we picked our date.

As for period timing, I gave it a lot of thought.  I didn't want my period for the day of, or for the week after.  Since I usually get mine around the middle of the month, I figured it would be better to go for July 28th, instead of the third week in August.  
  • We knew we wanted springtime because he said not during football season and I said not durring hurricane season, which left the second week of February through the last week of May.  We were originally thinking May to be closer to the date we met but moved it up to April to accommodate my sister and her boyfriend who will have exams at the beginning of May and then might have to move out of their student housing.

I did think about my period but since I am on the pill I was just going to use the pills to throw off my cycle if I had to, but it turned out I didn't have to.  Ditto pp's that I'm not sure there are any other options besides the pill but if you're okay with going on it temporarily you might be able to regulate your cycle for the time around your wedding/honeymoon and then stop if you don't want to keep taking it.  Your ob/gyn or the nurses there would probably have more info.

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_pick-date-doing-avoid-tmi-period-doing-not-bc-pills?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:9f639360-a63a-4bec-86e6-499e0ed7b74bPost:daa3e16a-b196-4693-91da-0b1db1606862">Re: How to pick a date? How are you doing it and how to avoid (TMI) your period when doing so if not on BC pills</a>:
    [QUOTE]You all are very helpful!  Thank you :)  I guess the biggest decision in picking a date will be the money factor.  When will we have the money saved and how much will it all cost.  I will consider BCPills for awhile to play with the dates of my period if need be closer to that date.  I just don't like BCPills because the hormones give me horrible mood swings and I don't need those, I may just end up un-engaged if that happens! LOL Thanks again!
    Posted by adawn1981[/QUOTE]

We knew we wanted to wait 2 years. I looked at the calendar and June 14th 2014 jumped out at me.

As for the TMI issue. I had really bad mood swings on pills. Went off them for a while, went back and still had mood swings. Then I switched to the shot, best invention ever for me. What sucked was when I went off it, my first time having one was while we were away on vacation for christmas. I plan on going back on the shot about a year before the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Fi and I picked our date bc it is our anniversary. I always wanted a summer wedding bc that is my favorite season. And it gives my fi enough time to study for his bars (he takes them at the end of july). 

As far as the tiem of the month goes, it was never a factor in my planing. Ever women doesn't want it to happen but sometimes it just does!
    Photobucket
  • edited January 2012
    We knew we had to do a summer wedding since I'm a teacher and it'd be a PITA to do it during the school year. We thought June would be not enough time to plan (got engaged Oct 30) and in July, one of H's best friends had a wedding on the 9th, so we wanted to give him time to take a HM and what not. So we settled on July 23, 2011.

Honestly, I didn't even think of my period when planning that far out. FWIW, I went on BC in May and ended up getting my period two days after the wedding, the day we left for our HM in Hawaii. It was honestly NBD. I packed some tampons, and it only lasted 3 days. It did not affect our HM whatsoever. I wouldn't worry about it.

ETA: And even if you tried going on BC before the wedding, it isn't a guarantee either. When you first start a pill, your cycle can get wacky. I randomly (TMI) had mid-cycle bleeding for about 10 days when I first started my pill, then skipped my period when I was supposed to have it. It took a good three months for mine to regulate on the pill.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Thankfully when choosing our wedding date our 5 year anniversay just so happened to fall on Friday, October 25, 2013! We decided that it couldn't be any more perfect.

I didn't even consider if I would be on my period or not when I was picking my date, thankfully I think I should be free and clear the day of!

• It hinges, of course on venue availability, but we wanted fall and had to dodge both barbecue festival, furniture market, other family weddings (there are three including mine) and account for my college football season. Two out of three ain't bad, I told guests that they could wear ear buds as long as there was no screaming or crying. Or Heckling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards