South Asian Weddings

vendor recommendations in New Jersey

Hi everyone, 

I'm getting married Sept 1, 2012 at The Palace of Somerset in New Jersey. I'm looking for any advice on choosing vendors: 
1) Photographer
2) Cinematographer
3) Decorator
4) Day of Coordinator
5) DJ
6) Florist
7) Mendhi 
8) Hair & Makeup & getting ready
9) Horse & Horse decor

Even if you have recommendations of who to stay away from that will be helpful - so anyone you loved or hated, please keep them coming!  

Thank you!! 

Re: vendor recommendations in New Jersey

• edited December 2011
    Check out my post below, my fiance and I live in Jersey and had 3 of our events here in jersey, and our wedding/reception in Ny (on the border of north jersey), so all out vendors are ny/nj (video was flown in).  We thoroughly reviewed them so maybe that will help you out a bit. 
  • edited December 2011
    loved DJ Raj amazing, Flavors by Jyoti Soni caterer -horrible, unprofessional, overcharged, ran out of food....beware!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I had Touch of class as the decorator/florist, Simran studios for photo/video, DJ Sunny Ent as the Dj, Calibrar farm for the horse, Deepa for mehndi and loved all of them , they were the best vendors !!!
  • Priya310Priya310 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really like my photographer.  He is not Indian but has done a lot of Indian weddings- Paul Roebuck (Unique Concepts Studio, Inc- http://www.ucs-studio.com/)

we are using Mandaps by Dhoom as our decorators.  Working with them so far has been kind of awesome.  Also, I have heard a lot of good things from others who have used them
  • edited December 2011
    Photographer - We loved our photographer and are still friends with him - Sandeep Ingale of Bestphotog.com. We had an engagement shoot about 2 months out before the wedding which really helped us get to know him and he us. The day of the wedding he was there early and full of energy the entire day.

Link: Bestphotog

Mandap/Decor - All Event Decorators out of Fairfield NJ for our mandap and reception. They came recommended by our venue and we could not be happier. We worked with Pawan and she understood us from the start that we didn't want anything crazy or over the top and was always easy to get in touch with.  We also used them for floral and everything was beautiful from my bouquet to the centerpieces.
    http://alleventdecorators.com/default.asp" target="_blank">
    http://alleventdecorators.com/default.asp

DJ - Dhol Experience. Jassi was our main point of contact and was great to work with. We did most of our communication via email and the phone and only met with them once because they happened to be in NJ for a Diwali event. Even if we hadn't met with her, I would have been fine since she was very detail oriented and had great communication skills.

Mehndi - I used Dipiti Desai of Sakhi Beauty. She came out to my parents home which is almost 2 hours away from where she's based and only charged about $50 for that (I think). Depending on the number of people you will have at your mehndi, she will bring additional artists to help. I even had a mehndi trial with her since it was important to me to get a nice, dark stain, which I did. She and her friend were both very sweet and did beautiful work.

Link: Sakhi Beauty
    Hair - I used my usual stylist so I am not sure if you're interested in him, but he is based out of Morristown NJ.

Makeup - I used makeup by Marissa who came recommended by Sandeep (our photographer). Also a sweetheart! She traveled to my house for the trial and to the hotel the day of. I had her do two different looks for me and I call her my magician.

Link: Makeup by Marissa
    ExerciseMilestone
  • blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would post this on your local board as well
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked into hiring a planner all together? There are some great planners that will work in all budgets that will give you a wide range of recommendations, set up appts, etc. Message me if you want some recommendations, I know a ton of planners in the area!
  • Hi everyone, thank you so much for your recommendations!  

Here is what is left to book: 
    • Pandit 
    • Decorator/Florist
    • Makeup/Hair for my mom & sister
    Any recommendations??? 

Honestly I love these community boards... definitely helps me feel like i'm not alone in this planning process.  I did look at wedding planners but I'm so detail oriented that I knew I'd want to be involved with everything anyway so just decided on a Day of Coordinator.  

Thanks everyone!!!! 
  • Contact Simer Grewal from Dream Wedidngs by Simer and she can help you find an amazing DJ within your budget. She is great, very detail oriented and a perfectionist. She can work with your budget but still provide you an exclusive and elegant wedding experience.

Call :(216)502-5194
    E-mail:dreamweddingsbysimer@gmail.com

He fee is reasonable and will not make a hole in your pocket.

Also check out her facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/DreamWeddingsBySimer

Enjoy!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards