Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Plated Kid's meal- how old? HELP!

Hi,

I am wondering on when should we serve plated meal for kids?
We will have chicken nuggets and some fries for kids..
My questions are:
1. Can 1 to 2 years old eat this meal or should I just pack them cereal in a goodie bags or gerber meals? or I should serve the meal regardless?
2. I am planning to serve this meal up to 12 years old, after that they'll have adult meal. Does it sound ok? or should the cut out will be 10 years old or 15 years old?
THOUGHTS and ADVICES please?
Thank you so much!!

Re: Plated Kid's meal- how old? HELP!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1. When a kid starts real food varies, but for the kids I've babysat, it's usually between 1 and 2, so I would give them the chicken nuggets.
    2. Definitely don't do 15 (I mean, that's high school), I would lean towards 10. It also depends on how many nuggets you're serving per kid unless the kids menu will vary by age. While a 1 1/2 yo might do with 2 or 3 nuggets, a 10 yo would be starving--when I was ten I could probably have eaten about 8 and I was moderately active, but not huge.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, just for information. this kid's meal costs $30/meal.
    So, I am thinking of where to draw the line when the kids should join their parents meal, or individually plated.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto MilkDuds, ask the parents and give them the option.  Even though it sort of killed me to pay so much more for a couple of 12 year-olds, I didn't want them feeling left out, and in the grand scheme of things it wasn't a huge difference.  When I was 12 I would have prefered the adult food to chicken nuggets and fries, and I would have resented being given a kid's meal if the older kids get the 'real' food.  At 15, definitely don't give them a kid's meal.

You should also check with your caterer - mine required that any child with a seat (not a high chair or a parent's lap) at least have a kid's meal, so I asked parents of young children if they needed a separate chair and went from there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    steveandtasteveandta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are still doing regular food for our kids at our wedding. grant it that there will only be 6 kids. they will actually probably be full after the cocktail hour.
    Photobucket invite1
  • Options
    TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd also ask the parents of the 1-2 year olds what they think.  Does your venue/caterer have a cut-off for what age can receive the children's meal?  Our venue states that up to 12 gets the children's meal, then 12-20 year olds were billed as "teens"--so they got the "regular" adult meal, minus the alcohol of course.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    krizzo17krizzo17 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Can you ask the 10-14 year olds which they'd rather have? Some kids would rather have an adult meal, some older kids would rather have chicken fingers. My 10 year old cousin asked me if shrimp was one of the entrees (seriously), and when I said no, his second question was if chicken fingers was one of the entrees, lol. I also asked his older sister (she's 14) whether she'd rather sit at the kids table or with his parents (we somehow ended up with no guests between 11 and 19, other than her).
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the inputs. Yeah, i guess the best way to approach is to ask my guests personally- parents & the kids :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely ask the families which meals the kids would prefer. I know some 8year olds who would prefer an adult meal and some 15 year olds who would prefer the kids meal. Provided your venue doesn't have an age cut off. This also matters for the little kids. We had 1 family RSVP as a family of 4 but only 3 meals because she wrote me a side note that the 2 younger girls were going to share a meal. This worked for us and saved us money; but was definitely a good idea.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    vexievexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I let the kids decide for themselves if they wanted the kids meal or the adult one.  My 9 year old nephew and 11 year old niece both chose the adult meal which was fine by me.   They were dressed up, in a fancy place and wanted to eat something different than they would at home :)  

I'd include this on the the rsvp card or start calling all the families that will be bringing kids.  I definitely agree with PP's who suggest calling the parents of the 1-2 year olds.  I doubt they'd eat enough to warant their own kids meal.  Heck.. my 5 and 3 year olds still share one kids meal when we go out...with left overs!
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    When my DS was 12 he ate adult size portions.  Come to think of it, so did all of our girls.  12 year olds need more food than a child's meal will give them.  While I agree that asking the parents is good, I can't see offering a kids meal to anyone over 10.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards