New York
Options

Transportation Question

Hello!  I'm not new to The Knot, but I am new to this board.  It seems like a fun place to be!  I'm getting married on Sep 24, 2011.  (I guess now that it's almost 2011, I can stop putting the year, but I'm so used to it by now that it'll be hard to quit).  I've been engaged since July and moved to Ithaca from NYC with my FI in August.  We're planning the wedding for nearby as it was easiest to get married where we live.  And it's beautiful up here!  It's been interesting trying to plan a wedding in a new place, but I'm really happy with everything we've done so far.

I'm wondering about shuttles for our guests to and from the reception.  Our hotels are in Ithaca and our reception is in Odessa.  Every company I've inquired about seems to charge $1000 per party bus (and I'd need 2 or 3 and I don't really need a party bus, just some sort of bus).  So I can't afford that.  I'm thinking about calling up the nearby school districts to see if we can rent school buses as a more economical option.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to chatting more with you all!

Anniversary

Re: Transportation Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh... I feel your pain.
    I ran into the exact same problem.  I actually tried begging MegaBus (before the decapitating crash) to allow me to rent one.
    I called EVERYONE... centro, Bernie, school buses... EVERYONE.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think you will have much luck.
    I ended up going with S&S Limo.  We have their two largest buses (and still don't have the number of seats we really want).  We have both for like $1800.  (choke, I know).
    Caz limo is ridiculously expensive, but they do have a full size bus in their fleet.  Pretty much everyone else was a "no"
    I was pretty confused, because I see buses on the road ALL THE TIME... where do they come from?  lol... must not be Syracuse.
    Not really familiar with the area you are talking about, but is it close enough to make a few trips?
    We have 90 miles between the ceremony and reception, so two trips would not work for us... we had to suck it up and pay for two party buses.  I think our guests will appreciate it, so it will be worth it in the end, but it is a pretty large expense to swallow, for sure.
    If I think of any other useful info, I will be sure to let you know. 
    I would check with S&S... their rates were the best we were able to find for the size vehicle we needed.  Talk with Jamie... he is really nice and willing to work with you to cut a deal/make a sale. 
    Good luck... wish I had better news for ya.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HI there! I don't have any advice, BUT, I'm a central Ny'er (well really a western ny'er in Rochester technically but wedding is on canandaigua lake) AND I'm ALSO a September (17th) 2011 bride! I've never seen you on our month board though. We have an amazing crew of regulars who are alot of fun and  very helpful, you should stop by sometime and say hello! Both boards are wonderful , welcome!
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! I cant help with transportation...my ceremony/recption is all in 1 location. But I can totally relate to the 2011. May is long gone and I still say 2011. Last month I said May 21st, and the baker asked "2011?" Noooo this yr actually! Haha

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_transportation-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:dbc76f29-5e0d-46a4-a433-2b5b5cdbf3eePost:2403a387-ab53-4ac8-8e61-13c7fabc2862">Re: Transportation Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome to the board! I cant help with transportation...my ceremony/recption is all in 1 location. But I can totally relate to the 2011. May is long gone and I still say 2011. <strong>Last month I said May 21st, and the baker asked "2011?"</strong> Noooo this yr actually! Haha
    Posted by DondadaTimes2[/QUOTE]

Bridget- I think that's because some people actually plan way OVER a year in advance (as in like "Oh your wedding is in May of 2012... well that's just dandy").  Crazy.  lol.  Definitely NOT me.  I was actually shocked that I was supposed to order my dress 9+ months in advance.  I saw no problem with 2 or 3.  Oh the things I have learned.  Haha
    Online Garage Sale
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lol.  Not stupid.  The time is just flying by.  in just a few weeks it will be "this year"  AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhHHHHHHHHHH!!! 
    Online Garage Sale
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yikes! Im less than a week away from 5 month. Ooooooh lord!

Yeah I know it could be way over. I just find it funny. That specific woman did mean this year b/c I must have sounded a little like "duh" when I said yes. and she said "oh well duh! Of course its not this yr" Silly old lady 

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • Options
    sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Monica!  I'll check them out.  And hopefully school buses in the surrounding counties here will be a little more helpful than you found yours to be.  (I'm about an hour southwest of Syracuse.)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Emierose.  I have been struggling a little bit incorporating fall into the wedding, so maybe I can get some tips on that board on how to make it subtle.  And congrats!  September will (hopefully) be beautiful!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No problem!  Welcome to the board!
    Online Garage Sale
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since it's kind of the cusp of summer/Autumn, I want to stick to a mild harvest theme, nothing out and out "fall"... so I'm using grapes and grapevines, and a few white pumpkins here and there. (my colors are grape and champagne). Do visit the board - lots of good ideas!
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards