Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Eyeliner - brown vs. black?

I haven't worn eyeliner since the 90's, but every make-up person I have spoken to has told me for your wedding day you need it so your eyes pop in photos.  I already did my make-up trial and she used black eyeliner...looked fine, but definiately took some getting used to (black is a bit harsh for me since I usually wear neutral/bronze tones).  A friend suggested I go back and ask my make-up artist about using brown eyeliner instead.  Anyone done this?  Have any thoughts on brown vs. black?

Re: Eyeliner - brown vs. black?

• What is your skin tone? I think that fairer skin tones with light eyes can carry brown liner better on a daily basis than they can black eyeliner. Black eyeler can be harsh sometimes. Can you go in for another trial? (Idk how much it is) or can you try and recreate the style with a dark brown eyeliner? If I'm using eyeliner, I normally go with colored or brown liquid, but I go with black to tight-line my upper water line under my lashes to make them look a little thicker.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yeah fair skin with light blue eyes... and I dye my hair abuburn (dark) with copper tones.
  • I have fair skin and medium brown hair, and I've used both brown and black eyeliner. I like a dark brown eyeliner best and will probably use that for my wedding. I also usually stick to neutral shades for eyeshadows, etc.
  • I have fair skin and wear black liner when I go out. During the day I don't wear much at all. Maybe I think it looks better than it really does on me.

(See profile pic- this is wearing black liner)
    Anniversary
  • I personally wear eyeliner every day.  I have blonde hair (naturally it's light brown, but I put in blonde highlights) and pretty fair skin (I'll tan, but need to be in SPF 30 for the most part or else I'll burn).  I wear dark brown during the day (for work) and black for evening (going out).  I think the dark brown helps to soften it a bit.  Go to CVS and get a dark brown eyeliner pencil & see if you like it.  Or better yet, go to the mall and have one of the make-up people try it on you.  See what you think of it.  I also hate thick eyeliner so I only line the inside rim of both my upper & lower lashes.
  • I was told that brown makes your eyes look bigger, if that's what you're looking for. I'm not even sure if this is true. Ask your make-up artist. Maybe even go back for another trial and have her do one eye of each.
  • I'm fair-skinned with blue/gray eyes, I usually go with a dark brown or a gray liner. Both colors work really nicely to make my eye color "pop" without being as severe-looking as black liner tends to be.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Also- you have to go with what you are comfortable with. If you don't like the way you look with black liner, then have your artist use something a little more neutral like brown or even gray as PP mentioned.
    Anniversary
  • I'm fair and blonde and I only wear black when I'm doing dramatic eye makeup.  I wear brown every day.  I would also inquire about powder liner too.  It can be a bit less harsh looking, while still defining your eyes nicely. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I started using brown (swiched from black) eyeliner do to maybelline eye suggestions! If you go to a drug store and check out the eye shadow matches for your eye color they suggest eyeliners to bring out your eye color! Maybe see what they say and buy a cheap one and try it out a few times see if you like how it looks and go from there!

• Depends on the look you are going for.  I am fair skinned with medium brown hair and blonde highlights, blue-green eyes, and I've worn both black and brown liner.  It is true black is a bit more stand out, but unless you are going for a completely natural look in your photos, you might want the black.  If not, I'd definitely go with a dark brown.  Also, it depends on your wedding and reception for how dramatic and dark you are going to go--outdoors? Indoors? Day to evening or just day?  My wedding is mid afternoon but reception is formal in the evening.  What she did so it wasnt too over the top is give me black on top and dark brown on the bottom (you wouldnt notice the difference)  Also what can make a difference is how thick or thin it is applied and if it is liquid (more dramatic) vs pencil (bit less dramatic but can be made dramatic).  What I'm saying is if you want black you can make it work and it definitely will show better in the photos.  If not, go with a deep brown.  If your lips are on the neutral side, I'd go with some black for a more dramatic eye.  Good luck! Experiment and play
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards