Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid issues

I have a bridesmaid who I've known since high school, however over the past few years we have grown apart. We don't see each other except for every 3-6 months (I've seen her once since being engaged) and talk only occasionaly.  She became very upset when I told her I chose someone else to be my MOH.  Not only are we not as close as my MOH and I are now, she does not have the time to be at any of the things I need help with, in fact I've had to reschedule bridesmaids dress shopping three times for her schedule.  She confronted me about the way I asked her to be a bridesmaid (apparently I should have taken her out to lunch and told her how amazing of a friend she was, instead of just asking her, face-to-face the way I did).
I also have been receiving passive aggressive comments from her about my MOH choice. 

I would have put up with all of this, it meant a lot to have her in my wedding, but recently I received a copy of messages from her to a mutual friend saying that I was overweight, my wedding dress made me look like I was pregnant, my Fiance treated me horrible and has cheated on me a few times, and that the two of us are pigs who don't clean anything.  She also said that she does not want to be in the wedding but doesn't know how to tell me...  These are all fabrications (except for the weight thing, and as everyone knows...you never tell a bride she is fat! Smile).  What I'm asking for is some advice on how to ask her to leave my bridal party.
I do not want to overreact, I do not want to cause a scene, but I just feel like I cannot have someone like this in my wedding, especially trash talking my fiance.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to help me?

Re: Bridesmaid issues

• em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-issues-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:b05dfbb5-8c2a-49a6-b8af-1b389c18d39dPost:87e5aa13-ec56-4261-8ec7-b707d3aac7ef">Bridesmaid issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a bridesmaid who I've known since high school, however over the past few years we have grown apart. We don't see each other except for every 3-6 months (I've seen her once since being engaged) and talk only occasionaly.  She became very upset when I told her I chose someone else to be my MOH.  Not only are we not as close as my MOH and I are now<strong>, she does not have the time to be at any of the things I need help with,</strong> in fact I've had to reschedule bridesmaids dress shopping three times for her schedule.  She confronted me about the way I asked her to be a bridesmaid (apparently I should have taken her out to lunch and told her how amazing of a friend she was, instead of just asking her, face-to-face the way I did). I also have been receiving passive aggressive comments from her about my MOH choice.  I would have put up with all of this, it meant a lot to have her in my wedding, but recently I received a copy of messages from her to a mutual friend saying that I was overweight, my wedding dress made me look like I was pregnant, my Fiance treated me horrible and has cheated on me a few times, and that the two of us are pigs who don't clean anything.  She also said that she does not want to be in the wedding but doesn't know how to tell me...  These are all fabrications (except for the weight thing, and as everyone knows...you never tell a bride she is fat! ).  What I'm asking for is some advice on <strong>how to ask her to leave my bridal party</strong>. I do not want to overreact, I do not want to cause a scene, but I just feel like I cannot have someone like this in my wedding, <strong>especially trash talking my fiance.</strong>  Does anyone have any ideas on how to help me?
    Posted by rebennett06[/QUOTE]

No BM or MOH is required to help you do anything. If you aren't close anymore, fine, but being a MOH or BM only requires buying a dress and showing up. Parties, showers, tying favors, addressing envelopes, etc are all extra. You can ask for help as a friend, sure, but not demand it. That said, it was immature of her to get upset and tell you so about her not being your MOH.

You cannot kick someone out of your WP unless you are totally ready to end the friendship. It is a friendship ending move and will probably make you look like a biitch. If the things she said about you and your FI mean enough for you to end it, fine, but I still wouldn't. It's totally your call though.

If she is as mean and bad as you say, then why are you still even friends with her? Or did this just start after the MOH issue? I would simply tell her the bare minimum of wedding related details. Tell her when she needs to order her dress by and leave it at that. If she does not get the dress, you can assume she has removed herself from the WP and you don't have to look like the bad guy. You can also have a heart to heart, but look at this as a friend issue, not a BM/MOH issue.
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    First, like PP said, MOH's are not required to attend anything or help you with anything...this is your and your FI wedding, no one elses, so if you need help ask your FI.

Second,  your friend sounds like a real b*tch...has she always been like this or has this just started because she didn't get the MOH position.  Either way, she sounds like a disease that you need to rid yourself of.  For someone to get that mad and jealous because they weren't picked to be MOH is pathetic and they really need to get a life.

If you do not want to be friends with her any longer then kick her out because that is a friendship ending move, but if you want to try and salvage a friendship then I suggest having a conversation with her face-to-face and just lay everything out on the table to hash things out...if by the end of the conversation the friendship is over then she will most likely remove herself from your wedding.

• RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    <div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;">[QUOTE]She became very upset when I told her I chose someone else to be my MOH.  Not only are we not as close as my MOH and I are now, she does not have the time to be at any of the things I need help with, [/QUOTE]<div>The first thing is a prefectly good reason to not choose her.  The second is not.  All that giant list of things the bridal industry tells you your wedding party just has to do?  Besides her dress, and showing up clean, sober and smiling, none of it is actually required.  Your FI is the only one you get to pressure into service if they don't want to.
    <div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]She confronted me about the way I asked her to be a bridesmaid (apparently I should have taken her out to lunch and told her how amazing of a friend she was, instead of just asking her, face-to-face the way I did)[/QUOTE]</div><div>OK, that's just her being a brat.</div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE] recently I received a copy of messages from her to a mutual friend [/QUOTE]</div><div>You're absolutely certain the message is legit?</div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]saying that I was overweight, my wedding dress made me look like I was pregnant, my Fiance treated me horrible and has cheated on me a few times, [/QUOTE]</div><div>The first part is catty, no excuses.  The second is out of line...assuming it's false.  I hate to ask it, but have there been any other red flags in his behavior, or any other friends who made the same claim?  </div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE] I do not want to overreact, I do not want to cause a scene, but I just feel like I cannot have someone like this in my wedding, especially trash talking my fiance.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to help me?[/QUOTE]</div></div><div>There's no easy way to do it, since it is usually a friendship-ending move.  You are within your rights to end a "friendship" for this reason - and good on you for defending your FI.  That said, jumping right from close friend to mildy bratty over the MOH position to sabotaging you as a bride and a couple sounds a bit extreme.  Have there been any other signs that the friendship is on the rocks?  How have you to been getting along when the wedding is not on the table?</div></div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

She sounds like she's not your friend. I know that everyone is saying that it is a friendship ending move (and it probably is), but are you sure you even need or want her as a friend if that's how she behaves?

Example: My cousin got married last year and was having very simliar problems with one of her BM's. She was really torn up over the decision to kick the BM out of the bridal party and get her other friend instead. In the end she felt that it would make her too much of a bitch if she asked said BM to step down. Fast forward a year and she's regretting NOT kicking her out - BM has spoken to her once since the wedding. My cousin is really disappointed that a person that is in the majority of the wedding photo's isn't even a part of her life anymore and wishes she had changed her mind.

Like most people, you would like to hope that you're only getting married once (or if it's the second time, the last time!) so be a little selfish and think to yourself, do I see this person in my life in 10 years time?

Hope I helped a little Smile

• edited December 2011
    Why are you even friends with someone who says those things to you?  Moving on...
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-issues-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:b05dfbb5-8c2a-49a6-b8af-1b389c18d39dPost:fe26744e-9036-4603-a591-0cb7f97fff2f">Re: Bridesmaid issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]First, like PP said, MOH's are not required to attend anything or help you with anything...this is your and your FI wedding, no one elses, so if you need help ask your FI. Second,  your friend sounds like a real b*tch...has she always been like this or has this just started because she didn't get the MOH position.  Either way, she sounds like a disease that you need to rid yourself of.  For someone to get that mad and jealous because they weren't picked to be MOH is pathetic and they really need to get a life. If you do not want to be friends with her any longer then kick her out because that is a friendship ending move, but if you want to try and salvage a friendship then<strong> I suggest having a conversation with her face-to-face and just lay everything out on the table to hash things out...if by the end of the conversation the friendship is over then she will most likely remove herself from your wedding.
    </strong>Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree with this. In dealing with problems like this it is best to be direct. Tell her that you need to talk with her and set up a time when you can chat in person. Tell her what you know and see what happens. Gently put yourself out there and see how she reacts. If she apologizes for hurting your feelings, then you still have a friend. If she blows up and makes excuses, chances are you don't. If she proves that she isn't a friend, then if you want to lose her for good you can choose to kick her out. However, do know that doing so might reflect badly on you anyway.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards