August 2012 Weddings

Make my own cupcakes??

Sooo I know you are all immediately thinking "DONT DO IT!!!!" LOL Just like everyone else has told me but here's the back story:

I have a little side business where I bake different desserts out of my home (including cupcakes & these things called Oreo Truffles - which I'm kind of known for).

We have been to about 6 or 7 different bakeries and we did fall in love with one at first, but they didn't work out (pretty much ignored our calls and emails asking to book after our tasting until they made it too uncomfortable for us to have to rely on them for our wedding) - but since then, we haven't found one that we like (rather that I like). 

I feel like since I bake it's harder for me to find something I like. So this past weekend, I had an order for 5 dozen cupcakes - each dozen being a different flavor. I was able to make them from start to finish in under 6 hours, (and only with one cupcake pan! lol & just me!) So now my fiance & I have been thinking about me doing our wedding cupcakes (we'd need 8 dozen). I THINK since we're getting married on a Sunday, it will be a little easier because I will have more time (as opposed to getting married on a Friday night after working or something). 

Soooo what do you guys think? Even if you think I shouldnt do it, let me know because I need the honest advice. 

Thanks so much for reading! :)
---------- imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Make my own cupcakes??

• My gut reaction is to not do it. It took you 6 hours to make 5 dozen, you need. 8 dozen for the wedding that is 9 hours total, that is if everything works perfectly. The day before the wedding you will be wanting or needing to do other things, do you really want to spend the entire day before your wedding making cupcakes?

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Do you have someone to assist you to cut the time down?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I say go with YOUR gut feeling...I am personally making my own wedding cake. I have a wedding cake business out of my home and know what it takes to make "the perfect cake". I checked around at every bakery in my area and the cheapest cake I found was $750...and I wasn't that impressed with their tastings. In the end, I can't justify spending $750 on a cake that I know costs less than $50 to make. Plus, baking and decorating is a stress reliever for me so I am looking forward to making the cake so I can zone out in my own world and get away from everything else...and I know I will be super nit-picky if I have someone else do the cake so this way it will be my perfect cake!
  • My caveat would be, are you going to be way too stressed, and cause the baking to go bad because of that? That said, I find baking relaxing, and imagine that you do too. So, I think you should go for it, but first buy or borrow yourself a second muffin pan (or third) and enlist somebody to help you. I might also pre-game the actual baking session by measuring out all of the dry ingredients for each batch in plastic bags the night before.

We're not doing a cake (or cupcakes) at all, and instead I'm planning on baking several different batches of themed desserts the Thursday and Friday before the wedding. Hopefully with help from a few friends.
  • If you do decide to do it, do a test run like now!  I'd suggest doing them 3-4 days ahead of time and sticking them in a freezer somewhere (would your caterer be able to store them for you?).  I know Georgetown Cupcakes will freeze their cupcakes when they're shipped (dry ice), but they also recommend people stick them in the freezer if they want them fresh a few days later.  Give it a try?  I wouldn't want to be making cupcakes the day before, but if you could make them earlier in the week and freeze them, I don't see why not!

Anniversary

• I'd say if you are going to do it, definitely make them a few days in advance and freeze them (that way you don't have the stress the day before)!  Also, I agree with whoever said to get more cupcake pans!!  If you do, you can make more at one time and save you a few hours!! :)

I personally wouldn't chance making my own, just because I wouldn't want the added stress before my wedding.  That being said, if you are confident and your gut is saying you can do it, then go for it! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am making my own cake and am not a professional baker by any means.  I am doing it because of budget and pride to some extent.  I am hoping people will find the cake tasty and that I can say I made it with a smile. 

I did research on serving sizes, how much frosting, how to stack layers, recipes to use, etc.  Additionally, I practiced for my birthday.  My sister is doing the frosting part - I am making the cake, so I do have some help.  Also, we are planning another 'practice' round of baking, assembling, and transporting in the future to work out all kinks and simulate the entire process.

I say, if your heart is in it and you're not just doing it because you "have to," or "cake is expected and you can't afford it otherwise," to go for it!  Also, you should be a bit more willing to accept snafus if they arise and take them in stride (melty frosting, crumbly cake, etc).
  • AjoydAjoyd member
    First Comment
    PPs give good advice.

My advice is to really decide if that is the detail of your wedding to which you want to devote that much time in the days leading up to your wedding. If you are confident that other things (like primping, rehearsals, DIY details, etc.) won't be compromised because of the time it will take to make the cupcakes, I say go for it. But if you think you'll be in a time crunch and you do have a lot of other projects you're taking on, I would seriously consider outsourcing :)
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • Thanks for all the advice ladies... I'm still deciding. Two places that we liked said they only need a week or so notice, so I'm thinking I'm going to give myself till 1 month before the wedding to finish everything else, and if I still want to do it, I will. Otherwise I'll just order from one of those places. 
    ---------- imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I would do a trial run with freezing them, and if they taste fine, then I'd say do them a few days before and freeze. 

• It sounds like you could do it. Maybe get a few extra pans to help cut down on your time and have a helper helping you, it could be done. I probably wouldn't do them the day before, just because of everything going on that day. A few days in advance would be fine. Do a test run to see how they turn out. Maybe also have a detailed list of everything that needs to be done a few days prior to the wedding and if you have any helpers that can get those things done, that would be extra help for you too. GOOD LUCK!! I'm sure they will turn out great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards