Honeymoon Discussions

Where Should I Honeymoon in the US

Hello Everyone!  My wedding is 45 days away & we have no idea where we should honeymoon. We're taking a mini honeymoon now just to get away & in the near future we're planning to go to Bora Bora..... HELP! :-) Where should we honeymoon in the US? We're looking for beauty, fun, and a romantic atmosphere. Thanks!  

Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US

• How about coming up to Boston?  There's lots to see, very historical, great walking city.  Lots of great restaurants.  You could do a day trip or two, to the cape.  
  • How long are you looking at staying somewhere? Would you be able to fly to a location or drive? Beach or no beach?

Though I've never been there, New Orleans fits beauty, fun and romance to me. Though, it will be sweltering in 45 days.

I have been to Charleston and would recommend that. Carriage rides. There's a beach if needed. Southern charm. Beautiful gardens and homes to tour.

I love, love California. . . LA/San Diego is what I'm familiar with. But San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma would be romantic and beautiful.

There's always the Grand Canyon. Or Great Smoky Mountains if you want more outdoors.

That's just off the top of my head. HTH! Good luck!
  • How far do you want to travel for a mini-moon? Budget? What type do you want: beach, relaxing, adventure, outdoorsy, etc?

Like PP suggested, San Fran/Napa or down to carmel/Big Sur. We're doing that trip (hitting all those places) for our anniversary in July and the scenery looks drop dead gorgeous and very romantic. Lots of fun activities as well.

There are some wonderful resorts in Arizona, though I haven't personally been there.

Marco Island, FL? Rent a condo on the beach and just relax all week or do water sports. Could be fun and probably cheaper than the other two options.

If you come back with more specifics, we can give more specific suggestions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • FI and I took a trip to Catalina Island in California and it was SO wonderful. Not sure if you wanted to go that far, though.
    New Orleans is also great.
  • Arizona. I did a road trip of the state a few years ago. Landed in Pheonix. Drove up these riduculously beautiful mountain roads/ranges to Sedona, AZ (where they have the red mountains). Went to the grand caynon. There's a lot of things to see there. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Love Sedona.  Went there last year to a spa with my sister and it was heaven.

We are going to Napa/San Fran in July and Las Vegas in October--both are great HM spots. 

There's also Disneyworld which can make for a fun HM.  Or New York.

We went to Maui for our HM, which is also in the U.S.  :)  It was beautiful, fun and romantic.

It really depends on what you are looking for, budget, etc.
  • In addition to what has already been recommended, another suggestion is the PNW. Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland are all awesome cities. In Washington you could visit the San Juan Islands or head over to Walla Walla (eastern Washington's wine country, which has over 150 wineries!). I also love the beaches along the Oregon coast, especially Cannon Beach. If you go to Vancouver,  you could also take a ferry over to Vancouver Island and visit Victoria, which is a very lovely and charming city. The weather in 45 days will be perfect; July and August are the best months to visit the PNW in terms of weather.

• <font color="#000000"><font face="Calibri" size="3">We’ll be on our honeymoon for 8 days. I live in Atlanta but our wedding will be in St. Louis. I wanted to go somewhere I’ve never been. When I think of New Orleans I think Mardi Gra; I attended in the past </font><span style="font-family:Wingdings;"><span><font size="3">J</font></span></span><font face="Calibri"><font size="3"> …. I visit CA every year my family resides in LA, Orange County & surrounding areas . I was thinking San Francisco as well I heard so many nice things about that city. I’m in love with beaches! I do not know if San Francisco has an intimate beach Thanks for your response! </font><span><font size="3"> </font></span><span><font size="3"> </font></span><span><font size="3"> </font></span></font></font>

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-should-i-honeymoon-in-the-us?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dea82942-75a2-4911-b9a6-831f6ed0547cPost:a39fe222-9a4b-45df-8c1b-1889654f16e4">Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US</a>:
    [QUOTE]How long are you looking at staying somewhere? Would you be able to fly to a location or drive? Beach or no beach? Though I've never been there, New Orleans fits beauty, fun and romance to me. Though, it will be sweltering in 45 days. I have been to Charleston and would recommend that. Carriage rides. There's a beach if needed. Southern charm. Beautiful gardens and homes to tour. I love, love California. . . LA/San Diego is what I'm familiar with. But San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma would be romantic and beautiful. There's always the Grand Canyon. Or Great Smoky Mountains if you want more outdoors. That's just off the top of my head. HTH! Good luck!
    Posted by Smooch711[/QUOTE]
  • We're going to fly.

• If you want northern CA, shoot for San Fran for part of the time, then drive south about 3-4 hrs and you will be in the Carmel/Monterey area. We honeymooned for 14 days in CA, drove from San Fran down to Coronado Bay area near San Diego in a rented convertible. It was fabulous. If you haven't been to San Fran, it's not as warm as souther CA, so bring jackets or sweaters.

In Carmel we stayed at the Mission Ranch, owned by Clint Eastwood, you get a nice suite in a small cottage that houses about 3 such suites. We had a deck and were on the "meadow side", woke up every morning with sheep grazing outside our deck. It was amazing. There is the Monterrey Aquarium in Monterrey, fabulous aquarium, the "Cannery Row" area is a bit touristy, but fun. Sadly we did not get to the city of Carmel, which I understand is adorable and lovely.

Here's a picture taken from the Pacific Coast Hwy, on our drive south of San Fran.

I also recommend Charleston SC as the above poster did. Romantic, lovely, lots of historic things for both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. Every restaurant where we ate was like a 4 star, fabulous food. We stayed at the French Quarter Inn, which is a 5 diamond hotel, you get champagne when you arrive, they have a great morning buffet, and cookies and wine in the evening in the lobby. Our room had a balcony and a fireplace (which you won't need in 45 days, but it is still great).

Another thing to look into (if you are sports fans) is going to a "road trip" city where your favorite baseball team plays (I'm assuming the Braves). We delayed our HM for 2 weeks so we could see the Tigers (our team) play the Oakland A's. We stayed at the hotel in San Fran where the team stays, and had a blast. I took a baseball and got tons of autographs. No, we are not stalkers, LOL.

Good luck. The US has so many great places. Use www.tripadvisor.com to find hotels and restaurants with customer ratings, you won't be sorry.
  • <font color="#000000"><font face="Calibri"><font size="3">Distance is not a concern we’re willing to go anywhere in the U.S. We haven’t discussed a budget pretty open minded </font><span><font size="3"> </font></span><font size="3">at this point. I’m interested in beauty as far as the beach is concerned. I also want a romantic atmosphere. I want to feel like I’m on a honeymoon </font></font><span style="font-family:Wingdings;"><span><font size="3">J</font></span></span><font face="Calibri"><font size="3">. I’ve heard a lot about San Francisco; leaning towards that city…. </font><span><font size="3"> </font></span><font size="3">Are you familiar with the beaches in the area? I been to FL a thousand times want to travel a different direction. I’m an Aquarius I LOVE THE WATER! Thanks for your feedback </font><span><font size="3"> </font></span><span><font size="3"> </font></span></font></font>

in Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-should-i-honeymoon-in-the-us?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dea82942-75a2-4911-b9a6-831f6ed0547cPost:515c877c-3c12-490a-80ee-bb5d871e6eff">Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US</a>:
    [QUOTE]How far do you want to travel for a mini-moon? Budget? What type do you want: beach, relaxing, adventure, outdoorsy, etc? Like PP suggested, San Fran/Napa or down to carmel/Big Sur. We're doing that trip (hitting all those places) for our anniversary in July and the scenery looks drop dead gorgeous and very romantic. Lots of fun activities as well. There are some wonderful resorts in Arizona, though I haven't personally been there. Marco Island, FL? Rent a condo on the beach and just relax all week or do water sports. Could be fun and probably cheaper than the other two options. If you come back with more specifics, we can give more specific suggestions.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]
  • <font color="#000000"><font face="Calibri" size="3">Thanks for your response! Maui I heard this place is heaven. My cousin go every year with her husband. Are you familiar with any romantic beaches around San Francisco; SF maybe a winner! We’re so backwards I’ll set a budget this evening. We’ve been paying as we go we’re actually way over what we expected to spend for our wedding. We decided in January we’re getting married in July and went from there inviting 150 guests….It’s for great cause </font><span style="font-family:Wingdings;"><span><font size="3">J</font></span></span><font face="Calibri"><font size="3"> Your profile picture adorable by the way </font><span><font size="3"> </font></span></font></font>

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-should-i-honeymoon-in-the-us?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dea82942-75a2-4911-b9a6-831f6ed0547cPost:930c1c10-3bbf-4aaf-abbf-9e6ebf029696">Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US</a>:
    [QUOTE]Love Sedona.  Went there last year to a spa with my sister and it was heaven. We are going to Napa/San Fran in July and Las Vegas in October--both are great HM spots.  There's also Disneyworld which can make for a fun HM.  Or New York. We went to Maui for our HM, which is also in the U.S.  :)  It was beautiful, fun and romantic. It really depends on what you are looking for, budget, etc.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]
  • <font color="#000000"><font face="Calibri" size="3">Can you please tell me more about San Juan Islands & Walla Walla. I’m looking for romance overall. I love the beaches & prefer a couples atmosphere. Me & my husband to be enjoy water sports. Thanks for your help </font><span style="font-family:Wingdings;"><span><font size="3">J</font></span></span><font face="Calibri"><font size="3"> </font><span><font size="3"> </font></span></font></font>

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-should-i-honeymoon-in-the-us?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dea82942-75a2-4911-b9a6-831f6ed0547cPost:e74d18a4-c3fb-4551-8143-5a9d4cac11d2">Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US</a>:
    [QUOTE]In addition to what has already been recommended, another suggestion is the PNW. Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland are all awesome cities. In Washington you could visit the San Juan Islands or head over to Walla Walla (eastern Washington's wine country, which has over 150 wineries!). I also love the beaches along the Oregon coast, especially Cannon Beach. If you go to Vancouver,  you could also take a ferry over to Vancouver Island and visit Victoria, which is a very lovely and charming city. The weather in 45 days will be perfect; July and August are the best months to visit the PNW in terms of weather.
    Posted by TravelingJen[/QUOTE]
  • We went to San Franscico a couple of years ago for New Year's Eve.  We were planning to spend 7 days there.... BUT we ran out of things to do in 2 days ... We were so glad we rented a car because we were able to take "the one" (Hwy 1) north to Arcata/Eureka and frolicked in the RedWood trees --- take a trip to the drive-thru tree...  Redwoods would be #1 on my list of places with natural beauty.  Also, sitting on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean was one of the most romantic moments.  FI says he'll never forget my face when I opened the car door at a scenic overlook and saw the Pacfic Ocean for the first time....  

I haven't been to Big Sur yet, but FI says it is amazing too...  That's on our list for a future trip.

So, if you are heading to SF, I'd plan to take some side trips.  There is lots to see, do, enjoy in the area....

BUT, personally I'd either pick Seattle area or Smokey Mountains if we were to go on a US honeymoon.

(If you decide to go to New Orleans, whatever you do, do NOT go to bourbon street on your honeymoon --- EEW! Instead, take a romantic stroll through the sculpture garden in city park --- it is even free!  .... Also, Storyland can be romantic if you are a kid at heart.   .... take a carriage ride through the french quarter.... take a stroll through Jackson Square on a weekend morning .... have a late breakfast at Cafe Du Monde... wander through the shops on Royal Street.... ride the streetcar ... eat a snowball (nectar is my favorite flavor)... visit plantation homes... go to the zoo, aquarium, or insectarium... stay at a B&B... just enjoy each other's company ...)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What about the florida keys or maybe even Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard? 

Follow Me on Pinterest

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-should-i-honeymoon-in-the-us?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dea82942-75a2-4911-b9a6-831f6ed0547cPost:5562fdfa-93fd-442a-a10d-5ea51c5f6d8c">Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your response! Maui I heard this place is heaven. My cousin go every year with her husband. Are you familiar with any romantic beaches around San Francisco; SF maybe a winner! We’re so backwards I’ll set a budget this evening. We’ve been paying as we go we’re actually way over what we expected to spend for our wedding. We decided in January we’re getting married in July and went from there inviting 150 guests….It’s for great cause J Your profile picture adorable by the way   In Response to Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US :
    Posted by LuckyinLove18[/QUOTE]

The thing about SF beaches is they are cold!  :)  I doubt I will even be able to get in the water at all and we're going in July.  July is actually very cold at night there and I'm cold-natured to start with.  The highs only get like in the 70's usually.  I'm used to 100, so to me that is almost chilly.

I have to say I'm surprised the PP said they ran out of things to do in SF.  We are going for 8 days and our itinerary is jam-packed, I don't know how we'll do it all!  We are going to Napa for 1 night--but you could spend several days there.  But, we are going with someone who knows the city very well. 

Maui is a wonderful HM spot if you can swing it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-should-i-honeymoon-in-the-us?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:dea82942-75a2-4911-b9a6-831f6ed0547cPost:b2da1e92-1361-4ae9-95a2-a9aa332310be">Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US : The thing about SF beaches is they are cold!  :)  I doubt I will even be able to get in the water at all and we're going in July.  July is actually very cold at night there and I'm cold-natured to start with.  The highs only get like in the 70's usually.  I'm used to 100, so to me that is almost chilly. I have to say I'm surprised the PP said they ran out of things to do in SF.  We are going for 8 days and our itinerary is jam-packed, I don't know how we'll do it all!  We are going to Napa for 1 night--but you could spend several days there.  But, we are going with someone who knows the city very well.  Maui is a wonderful HM spot if you can swing it.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

<div>SF is a lot of fun, but I totally agree with this.  Its cool in SF year round, with highs in the sixties basically all year.  I have been there in January, June and July with the same temps each time (actually, it was warmest on my January trip!).</div><div>
    </div><div>If you do go to San Fran though, there is a ton to do!  FI and I had GREAT seats for a SF Giants game last year (AT&T park is a great ball park).  We only paid $70.00 a ticket for tickets that would have cost AT LEAST twice that at Yankee Stadium!</div>
  • We're kind of doing the same thing, we're taking a 'budget-moon' after the wedding (since we may be putting what little available funding we have into moving soon) and planning a bigger trip next year.  We rented a cabin the Tenessee mountains, amazing view, private hot tub on the deck, fireplace in the bedroom, jet-tub, and there's tons of outdoorsy stuff to do as well.  I had lived in Charleston for 8 or 9 years, to me there's not much to do downtown.  There are a few attractions in the area, like the gardens, but overall there's not much.  I love the PP who mentioned the Pacific Northwest (my favorite place in the world!)  The redwoods of CA on up to Canada is amazing beautiful coastline, there's tons of bed and breakfasts if you don't want to go the super-fancy route, wineries all over the place, romance is wherever you make it! Wherever you go, hope you have an amazing trip! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Yeah if you want a beach, don't do california - it's really cold.  You're from Atlanta - have you ever made it down to Seaside, FL?  FI and I have a friend with a house literally ON the beach, and we go for a few days every year.  It's amazing, adorable, and can be very romantic.  There are a lot of houses to rent on the beach, with private access (in all the years we've gone to this house, for instance, we've never seen more than 12 people on the beach at once).  You could also drive (it's about 4-5 hours from Atlanta), and spend some of the money you would have spent on flights on a house rental.  And check out Bud & Alleys while you're down there - it's famous :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Oh and if you ever go to Seaside, watch the Truman Show before you go - it was filmed there.  It really does look like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Being from Southern CA, I would agree with the above posts.  Basically, any beaches in the northern half of the state are usually cold.  It's warmer in the southern half, but, fair warning, many of the beaches down there don't have very good water quality. 

My vote would personally be for New Orleans; it's a wonderful city.  The above poster had a whole list of things to do there.  Plus, even though it will be pretty hot at that time (as will all of the southern US, really), that also means it's not tourist season and things will likely be a little cheaper.  It's also very pedestrian friendly as well.  You can walk to many places, or take the street car or bus.  You should take the street car regardless.  Visit a voodoo museum and above ground cemetery, eat some cajun stuff and pralines, and drink a Mint Julep, a Pimm's Cup, or Sazerac.  :) 

Have you ever thought about Vermont?  It's a beautiful state.  It's got the Green mountains, lots of breweries, and all sorts of neat little shops.  Did I mention Ben and Jerry's headquarters?  With tours and free ice cream?  Plus, Burlington is right on Lake Champlain, which is gorgeous in itself, but you can take a boat ride or just enjoy the lakefront.  Vermont is full of little B&B's and wineries too.  Plus, Montreal is only about an hour and a half away, should you decide to be even more adventurous. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've heard that Amelia Island, FL is supposed to be very nice.  And I know it is outside of the US, but Bermuda shouldn't take too long from Atlanta.
  • I second Hilton Head, SC and the Smokey Mountains. Hilton Head is a lot of fun and there are so many things to do besides laying on the beach. The Smokey Mountains are really beautiful. A cabin in the mountains could be very romantic.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-should-i-honeymoon-in-the-us?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:dea82942-75a2-4911-b9a6-831f6ed0547cPost:4e8254fc-2374-4f73-81fb-ac6248a5e117">Re: Where Should I Honeymoon in the US</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I've heard that Amelia Island, FL is supposed to be very nice</strong>.  And I know it is outside of the US, but Bermuda shouldn't take too long from Atlanta.
    Posted by Molly&Andy[/QUOTE]

Staying at the Ritz Carlton there is on my bucket list!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards