Getting in Shape
Options

Fitness Foodies!

Hi, knotties! 

I was thinking about the differences and similarities regarding our fitness.. which made me think of diet. 
Just for pure conversation and to see what we focus on as individuals,  I thought it would be cool to start a thread on it. :) This IS NOT to critique each other, feel "mightier than thou", or get atta-boys... Just simply interested in how we each EAT, get to know a little more about each other, etc :) 

So.. 

Is there a name to your diet? (ie paleo, pescatarian, 17 day diet, etc) 

What is your diet focused around?

What, if anything, does your diet cut out? 

If you are on a specific diet, is there anything you "cheat" on? 

Do you have "cheat" days/meals? What do you usually make it?

What is your food weakness? 

Re: Fitness Foodies!

• Options
    I'm vegan.

Legumes, fruits, veggies, whole grains, booze ;) hahahaa

Anything animal by-product, from honey, to meat, to some wine/beer/candy

I sometimes cheat on wine. I never BUY non-vegan wines, but if I'm at a friends house and I am offered a glass or red, I'll sometimes accept. 

No. Not really.. other than wine being a cheater from time to time (but not often). I made the mistake of having bread that, unbeknownst to me, was nonvegan and woke up that night to throw up for 2 hours. Fun stuff. You can't really have  "cheat" meal or day unless you want to be in serious pain. 

Wine. 
    Chips. Everyone thinks I went vegan to lose weight.. nope. definitely not. definitely can still each things like chips :P haha.. but I'm good at being reasonable and picking the more healthful option regarding chips when I absolutely NEEED to have them. 
  • Options
    Nope!

Eating reasonable portions, staying within calories, and trying to make better choices without making myself (and others around me) insane.

Nothing. I do try to limit my intake of beverages other than water, simply because I would prefer to eat something than have a glass of juice. I find that when I have tried "no more of this" that I end up eating every single thing in sight. Tell me about a brownie, I will make a pan and eat the whole thing.

Doesn't apply :)

Nah. I eat what I want when I want, within reason.

Pizza and brownies. For sure!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mmmm true that.. I think i could east pizza every day of my life and never get tired of it.. lol 
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    A cross between the Bridalicious Boot Camp meal plan and my own plan. I love the structure, but I don't stick to it 100%.
    Eating smaller portions more frequently throughout the day, and less carbs. Overall, like Sarah 5200, making better choices.
    Nothing completely, but I try not to drink anything but water (except wine). Although when I get a craving for "bubbles," I will drink a diet soda. I also cut way back on sugar and carbs, but again, not completely.
    N/A
    Not really. But if I know I have something coming up, like a party, I am really careful how I eat before I go, and when I am there. I try not to stand right beside the food table. LOL

Sweets!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nope - just about being aware of what I'm putting into my body.

Making better choices, and making sure that I eat enough. I'm someone who doesn't like to eat, and struggle to eat enough and to eat enough good foods.

Nothing, but I've gone from drinking a 2litre of soda a day to one glass. That's huge for me, since I don't drink coffee and am just starting to drink tea.

Nope.

No. I believe that everything in moderation is key, otherwise I'm likely to make unwise choices.

Nachos, and pepsi (of course!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

*it's called the "i effing love food and am figuring out how to eat everything I love and STILL lose weight" diet.

*I'm reluctantly GF but as a biproduct it's very lean protein and green veggie centered.

*Besides actual medical restrictions, absolutely nothing. There is room for almost any food in a generally well balanced diet.

My only "cheat" is more of a thing i cannot resist.  Although healthy, I have a problem with over consumption of drinks like cranberry juice and in fall, apple cider.

We have free-for-all days.  usually Saturday since we're really active on the weekends.  it's usually low nutrition foods like fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, and big buttery rolls. 

Cheese.  I love cheese.  i could just eat it all day in a million different forms.
  • Options
    I love reading these for more insight on your ladies... but now I'm craving mashed potato topped nacho pizza. 
    With cranberry juice. 
    hahaha
  • Options
    Love this idea!

Is there a name to your diet?
    Nope, but I am leaning toward committing to clean eating with a paleo twist.
    being reasonable with portions and carbs.

Due to food allergies I am completely gluten free. with FI recently being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic we also almost fully cut out refined sugars. We also restrict the number of carbs but aim for each meal to be a total nutritional balance so one meal is not over or under the other in terms of sugar/carbs ect.

nope, like firsttimers if I cheat on the gluten front I am in a world of pain-not worth it.

nope

Peanut butter and cheese.....gawd that sh*t is amazing and the reason I can't fully commit to a paleo diet...both are no-no's
    I am "allowed" to have them...just not generally in the portions that I take
    same logic applies to wine...a bucket full is too much you say? never!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nope, just eating better and healthier

Adding vegetables and fruit and trying to replace white flour products with wheat.

Nothing completely, however, I have cut down from 6-7 cups of soda a day to 1-2 and increased my water consumption. I also try to cut out unhealthy snacks from the vending machine or at least make smarter choices. 

I cheat on candy and baked goods. 

Weekends are usually pretty big cheats. We go out to eat at least twice a weekend, which is actually reduced from 3-4 meals. I try to make better choices or if I have to get the bad stuff only eat half and take the other half for dinner. 

Sweets! And Chili's chips and salsa. There salsa is like crack to me; I get wicked cravings for it! Luckily the salsa isn't too horrible for you (although very high in sodium) its the chips that are the really bad. I usually break up my chips to get more salsa than chip and we always go through at least 3 salsas. But I can't ever feel guilty because its so good.
  • Options
    Love this idea!

Nope, just general attempt at healthy eating.

Portion control and making smart decisions about food based on the nutritional content and not the delicious taste. 

I can eat anything I want (hopefully in moderation), but I do try to avoid fast food and particularly fried food. I was really good about it for a long time, then close to the wedding with all the travelling I slipped and ate more of it than I would have liked....trying to get back on track now.

I definitely still have issues controlling my portions when it comes to sweets. I wouldn't call it a cheat though, I just need to train myself better to take smaller amounts.

Nope, I think this would lead me down a dark path. I did this in college and it always ended badly with me actually "cheating" the entire week because I couldn't control it. I was also diagnosed with binge eating disorder, so the idea of cheating is an unhealthy approach to food for me.

Sweets! Particularly ice cream and mint flavored cookies. I'm significantly better at portion control now, but if no one was looking I could probably put away an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting.
  • Options
    Wine is often filtered with egg whites and/or casein. Beer (like Guinness for example) is usually filters with stuff like fish bladder. 
    I have to look for "unfined" wines which means they are unfiltered completely, or for wines filtered with brick/clay instead. 

I'm so surprised that more people haven't said "Clean Eating" as far as diet goes.
  • Options
    Usually flash frozen stuff is still clean. 
    Canned stuff is hit and miss (you can read what the ingredients are. Sugar added? Not so much haha) 
    I don't think clean eating= non GMO, so as far as that goes, canned/frozen stuff is totally in the clear. 

A clean diet is still considered 80/20 (with that 20% cheat) so you could probably say you eat clean :) 
  • Options
    by that logic I can say I eat clean. its a stretch to think that even 20% of my food is processed. I make practically everything from scratch using whole ingredients.

I thought it was an all or nothing kind of thing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Is there a name to your diet? (ie paleo, pescatarian, 17 day diet, etc) I've been a pescatarian for five years. I was vegetarian for six years prior, but included limited meats due to nutritional deficits. 

What is your diet focused around? I just try to keep things simple and healthy.

What, if anything, does your diet cut out? I don't eat any pork or red meat. I only eat poultry and seafood as my meat sources. Otherwise, nothings off the table. 

If you are on a specific diet, is there anything you "cheat" on? I'm an unintentional cheater. I'm easily swayed because I do love food and eating in general. I always have good weeks but I tend to do any cheating over the weekends. 

Do you have "cheat" days/meals? What do you usually make it? I don't give myself specific cheats, though maybe I should try that, it might help. I just cheated and ate a half moon cookie. The way I see it is everything in moderation. Even having a cookie, I still have ample calories left for today, so I won't stress over it. 

What is your food weakness? Pizza. Without a doubt. Or anything smothered in cheese and garlic. I'll take a hot, sloppy bowl of alfredo over something healthy everytime. 

Goodness, it's a wonder I'm not 400 pounds. I eat mostly healthy, I swear! 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm working towards eating clean - does that count??? lol

In my house FI only likes white bread, but I eat so little bread anyway it isn't a big deal. It's not something I crave or miss if I don't have it. I was making half and half bread for him (half white, half wheat) but he still prefers plain ole' grocery store white. I think it might have something to do with the size of the loaf though, so I'm going to make the next one smaller and see if that helps.

I had such a tough time with dd last year that I stopped fighting with her over food (it was a control thing, like she wouldn't eat chicken on Sunday because it was part of "Sunday dinner" - don't ask). So I told her that if she didn't like what I was making, she would have to make her own meals. I took her to the supermarket and she picked out chicken nuggets (ironic) and things like Pizza Pockets etc. Thankfully she's coming around, but there are still times when she chooses processed stuff over the meals I make. I'm trying not to make a huge deal over it, because my neice (age 7) hides food from her mother (a HUGE clean eating devotee, so much so that her kids have never even had a twinkie). I so don't want to set my kids up for something like that.

Basically, a long way to say that the processed food in our house is to keep me sane when dd decides that she will eat nuggets, but not chicken.

*sigh
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards