Catholic Weddings
Options

veils

Do yall know the requirements for veils? I know that traditionally something covers the shoulders, but I really don't want one lol Anyone heard anything about this?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: veils

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's all parish-dependent.  I'd talk with either your priest or the church coordinator to find out what it the expectation at your church.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that your best bet is checking with your parish/priest/coordinator.

I have never heard of veils being required. I have heard of shoulders needing to be covered and people getting away with using veils for that purpose, but there are other options, like boleros, if you have to cover your shoulders and do not want to wear a veil.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp. Definitely check with your priest/deacon/wedding coordinator.

Our church did not have any requirements for veils or dresses. However, I have heard of some churches requiring the brides shoulders to be covered with with the dress or the veil.
  • Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I asked our priest about requirements and he told me to use my best judement. Other churches here tell you you have to wear sleeves and have certain other restrictions.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If in doubt, you could bring in a picture of your intended dress to your priest and ask his opinion if it's appropriate.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

ive never heard of the veil being an issue.   as far as i know, you can go long or short.  its the dresses that usually are an issue - strapless in particular are deemed to be immodest by many churches/priests as well as any dress that shows an inappropriate amount of cleavage.  some gals have been told that they can wear strapless as long as the veil covers the shoulders.  some have been told no strapless period.

• Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, probably really depends on the parish!  Unfortunately it's really hard to find wedding dresses that aren't strapless these days... I'm definitely adding cap sleeves to mine... as fitted as I'm sure alterations folks are able to get, I'm always paranoid about strapless dresses falling down.  My parish has the following attire requirements:

WEDDING ATTIRE:When choosing wedding attire, your choice must reflect the dignity of Christian marriage.  Some styles are more appropriate for evening wear than they are for a sacred event held in a holy place. All wedding attire worn in the Cathedral of Saint Paul must be modest. Low necklines and high slits are not in keeping with appropriate guidelines for a religious service.Suits or tuxedos worn by groomsmen must be appropriate for a religious service as well, and not detract from it. “Costume” style tuxedos or accessories are not appropriate for a sacred event held in a holy place."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks yall. The only thing I was told by the wedding coordinator was use my best judgement. But I will call and ask more specifically.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_veils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:ba7c36c4-5e4f-4562-af91-787466cfe0f7Post:7fc9c6d1-7e71-4602-bb6b-ce893838ac76">Re: veils</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep, probably really depends on the parish!  Unfortunately it's really hard to find wedding dresses that aren't strapless these days... I'm definitely adding cap sleeves to mine... as fitted as I'm sure alterations folks are able to get, I'm always paranoid about strapless dresses falling down.  My parish has the following attire requirements: W EDDING A TTIRE : When choosing wedding attire, your choice must reflect the dignity of Christian marriage.  Some styles are more appropriate for evening wear than they are for a sacred event held in a holy place. All wedding attire worn in the Cathedral of Saint Paul must be modest. Low necklines and high slits are not in keeping with appropriate guidelines for a religious service. Suits or tuxedos worn by groomsmen must be appropriate for a religious service as well, and not detract from it. “Costume” style tuxedos or accessories are not appropriate for a sacred event held in a holy place."
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

wow that is so specific. my parish basically just said that brides today are much more fashion fwd however we must be respectful of the religious ceremony so  brides and her attendants must cover their shoulders.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards