New Jersey
Options

Venue Suggestions?

Hi! I'm newly engaged and would love any and all suggestions for NJ venues. Thank you! : Some info: . Budget 200pp maybe a little more . 170230 people . November 2014 . Saturday night . Looking for a classy, elegant space with great food . Ceremony and reception at same place . Outside space to take pictures

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Venue Suggestions?

• Options
    Sorry for the poor formatting...I'm on my phone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi, Does the 200pp include tax and gratuity? Also, what part of NJ and what type of venue are u looking for? For your budget there are lots of places but u could help us give you better suggestions by giving us more info. I just looked at over 20 venues between October and November and signed a contract 2 weeks ago so I have seen a lot and spoke to even more!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_venue-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ef8d53a9-4021-4dd0-a599-703fb16ffa59Post:354ae151-a0e6-4eed-ba00-4eea7001389f">Re:Venue Suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, Does the 200pp include tax and gratuity? Also, what part of NJ and what type of venue are u looking for? For your budget there are lots of places but u could help us give you better suggestions by giving us more info. I just looked at over 20 venues between October and November and signed a contract 2 weeks ago so I have seen a lot and spoke to even more!
    Posted by gelaine22[/QUOTE]

No, the $200pp doesn't include tax and gratuity. I think we could even go up to $250pp but would prefer not to, haha!

Northern/Central NJ would be best. We are looking for something that (preferably) only hosts one wedding. We like elegant, classy, with a bit of a "wow" factor. I love the Venetian, but I don't like that there are many weddings at once.

Thank you so much for your help! :)  I'm actually from PA, so I'm trying to get a list together so we can organize the venues by location to make the visits back and forth easier.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

First I will name some places I looked at and who I dealt with that host only one wedding. IMO, for over $200pp I would want either a venue that does only one wedding at a time or one where the 2 weddings have completely separate entrances and "wings."

One venue at a time:

1. The Grove in Cedar Grove, NJ: I dealt with Alyssa. This place is fairly new. It doesnt have much of an outside but the inside is breathaking IMO. The price is over $200 pp including tax and gratuity. They hold only one wedding at a time. I booked here for September 2013.

2. Nanina's in the Park in Belleville, NJ: I dealt with Tom. This is also in your price range. They gave me a very good price for a date in December that I was originally interested in. You get a lot in your package. This place has beautiful grounds (waterfalls are heated so they would still be on in November). The inside is nice as well. I didnt like the idea that they did not have a separate ceremony space.

3. Crystal Plaza in Livingston, NJ: I think I dealt with Fred. They were $185 all inclusive for a Friday. It is an older mansion type of place. It was not my type with all the gold and it looked older. However, many people say their food is amazing and they do only hold one wedding at a time.

4. Florentine Gardens in Rivervale, NJ: I dealt with Michael. This will also be over $200pp incl tax and gratuity. They hold one wedding at a time. It is another older mansion type of venue. The older mansion type venues were just not my thing. I had to visit a few to come to that conclusion...lol.

5. The Castle at Skylands Manor in Ringwood, NJ: I dealt with Linda. The price was maybe $130 pp not including tax, gratuity, and a "site fee" which I am still unsure where that really goes. My mom hated this place. I was obsessed with it until I actually took the tour. It is very...old. The ballroom was the worst that I have seen. They do one wedding at a time. The ride there was extremely annoying. It is down a weird road and into the botanical gardens and my mom felt that at night it would be dangerous for people. However, some people love this place. It smelled old and looked old and they do the cocktail hour throughout 4-5 rooms.

More than one wedding but separate entrances and "wings":

1. Rockleigh Country Club in Rockleigh, NJ: I dealt with Rocky and he was amazing!!! I actually had them on hold. The grounds are gorgeous and they have a great reputation. Their price (for me) was $145 not including tax and gratuity (gratuity here is 22%) and that included full viennese hour. I wound up at the Grove bc I really felt like Alyssa went above and beyond for me. Also, the Rockleigh was almost 2 hours from my home.

2. The Palace at Somerset Park in Somerset, NJ: I dealt with Melanie. I think the price was $135 + tax and gratuity. It was very pretty and one of the first few places I looked at. My mom wasnt impressed. She said it was just a "big white corporate-y hall." They dont have much of an outside either.

Other places I looked at:

1. Westmount Country Club in Woodland Park, NJ: I dealt with Tom Delgatto. He was OKAY. This was a gorgeous venue! The cocktail hour space was the best that I have seen! They do more than one wedding. I wasnt sold bc they didnt have a separate ceremony space and the bridal suite for the room I would get (the smaller ballroom) was horrible! Price: $135 (I think) + tax + gratuity + maitre'd fee of $1,000 + ceremony fee.

2. Venetian: I dealt with Carlos who was soooo arrogant. This place was not my style at all. It was gold and just not my type of hall. I think the ballroom that everyone loves is not what I would have gotten since my wedding I can only guarantee 150 people. Everything was an upcharge. THey quoted me $125 + tax and gratuity. Viennese was $15 extra...Ceremony fee was extra..lighting extra

3. Seasons in Washington, NJ: sister venue to Venetian. Again, it was very nice but I just wasnt sold even though the price was amazing. THey wanted $110 all inclusive.

4. Addison Park in Aberdeen, NJ: I dealt with...I cant remember but he was very nice and seemed flexible. They do more than one wedding and you are separated by only a wall and you share the bathrooms which wasnt my thing. I think the price was $130 all inclusive. It is a modern looking hall though

5. South Gate Manor: just NO!

I called Liberty House in Jersey City but they were $175 ++ and didnt seem very friendly. I looked at the menu and they just didnt seem to offer much. However, the views of NYC are gorgeous! If you want pics with NYC skyline I would look here!

I dont know why but I am drawing a blank on other places so I guess none of them were memorable!

You can PM me for any other information

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, and to give you an idea of how to look at places (ie which venue is close to the other) I can tell you which places I made appointments to look at all the same day:

Imperia and Palace are both in Somerset and you can look at them with Addison Park since it is only about 25 minutes away.

Florentine Gardens, Seasons, and Rockleigh are within 15-20 minutes of each other.

Nanina's, The Brownstone, Venetian, and Westmount are close

The Atrium (old and just not my type and for your budget you can do wayyyy better), The Manor, Pleasantdale Chateau, Highlawn Pavilion, Crystal Plaza, The Grove are all near here. Oh, Il Tulipano is down the street from the Grove but I didnt look at it either.

Skylands is in the middle of nowhere
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would suggest The Wilshire Grand.  The outside and inside are gorgeous and you will be amazed with the price they give you.  I worked with John and there was nothing he wouldn't do for us.  The day of our wedding, everything was perfect including the staff.  Good luck in your search and congrats!
  • Options
    We got married at Liberty House within the higher end of your budget and it was absolutely beautiful.  The view is definitely a "wow factor."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with most of gelaine22's reviews.  I've been to weddings at a few of those places:
    - Venetian had amazing food and there definitely is a "wow" factor if you're in the new ballroom but its a little gaudy for my taste and they do multiple events.  Plus the location is pretty terrible.
    - Crystal Plaza had good food and the outside grounds were beautiful.  I would definitely check this place out.
    - The Tides - also had good food, does one wedding at a time and has a really nice outdoor space for ceremonies.  Not really a "wow" factor, but a nice place.
    - The Palace - I was there for a corporate event and was not impressed with the space.  Seems very cold and corporate.
    - Skyland Manor - Terrible.  Food was bad and the ballroom is very old.  Its in the middle of nowhere.

I'm a total sucker for NYC views, so I would definitely recommend Liberty House, Chart House, and those type of places although they are restaurants.  I don't think Chart House, Maritime Parc or Frank's Waterside have ceremony spaces but I could be wrong.

I would also suggest checking out Natirar.  Its a huge mansion and the views are amazing since you're inside the park (can't remember the name of the park).  It is sooo beautiful.  When I called they told me the site fee was $10,000 so I hung up, ha.  But if you can afford it, its amazing.
  • Options

As a future Park Savoy Bride. I have to highly recommend that venue.
    - It is one event at a time.
    -They have a beautiful outdoor ceremony space that overlooks golf course/lake. It is really picturesque and will make for lovely pictures.
    - I had my tasting last week and was incredibly impressed with the food. Although, i've never ever heard negative reviews of the food here.
    -Renovation/Restoration of the mansion was completed in April of this year. The renovations are truly jaw dropping!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2012
    Some suggetsions closer to the PA border Deleware Water Gap:

Lake Mohawk Country Club  Sparta 

Perona Farms  Andover 

Skylands Banquet Hall in Randolph

Meadowood Manor Randolph

Hyatt Morristown

Sheraton Tara Parsippany

Madison Hotel Convent Station

Governor Morris Inn Morristown

Zeris Inn Mountain Lakes

The Villa at Mountain Lakes

The Birchwood Manor in Whippany
  • Options
    Faith2730Faith2730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2012
    I highly recommend Il' Villaggio! The place is beautiful and the food is amazing. I can't say enough good things about the place. Let me know if you have any questions!
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2012

We were married at the Palace at Somerset Park and highly recommend it!  What others wrote above is true... it is not as ornate or over-the-top as some of the other places and that's exactly why we picked it. We are "Crate & Barrell" people and loved the clean lines and simplicity of the decor, but needed the knockout food and service of a top notch wedding venue. 

Liatris... our #1 choice was originally the Stonehouse but we changed our minds when we heard about a few not-so-good experiences and the food selections were not what we needed.  However, this was two years ago and things may have changed.  I'd go check it out again.  I loved it, especially the ballroom and outside ceremony space. 

• Options
    Clarks Landing Yacht Club in Point Pleasant.  We had our ceremony and reception there.  It is a bride's dream venue (seriously- they did a ton of market research when they were renovating it).  The view is out of this world - esp at sunset, the room is beautiful and elegant, the food was not only plentiful but delicious, the bridal suite is amazing, and the wedding coordinators Don and Nicole are the absolute best in the business to work with.  They were so helpful throughout the planning process and on the day of that I was actually able to enjoy my wedding day stress-free.  They only host weddings, and they only have one a day.  I'm telling you, you must see it to fully appreciate how spectacular it is.

Definitely make an appointment to check it out.  As you can tell, I'm totally in love with our venue and am happy to talk about it in more detail if you want to PM me.  
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • Options
    Wow, thank you so much everyone! These suggestions are great! I'll be spending my day off from work researching all of these options!

I love the New Jersey board...you are so helpful and welcoming! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The Tides
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Hi, there! Check out The Ashford Estate in Allentown (Monmouth County). It's gorgeous!! Like nothing we saw anywhere else. The estate rental fee is high, but don't let it scare you off. They work with you on the catering price and it just might fall in your budget. Our wedding was there back in April and they were amazing. PM me if you need more info. Happy planning. Smile
  • Options
    I just got married at south gate manor this past weekend and it was amazing! everyone there is more than helpful and I wasn't worried about a thing all night. the food is fantastic from the cocktail hour to the venetion hour.

I cannot say enough great things about it. I highly suggest visting south gate!
  • Options
    brooklake country club in florham park!
  • Options
    I second brooklake country club! 
  • Options
    I would recommend The Grove.  My cousin just had her wedding there a couple weeks ago and the food was AMAZING!!!  I'm not 100% sure but I think they do one wedding at a time.  Its pretty new so thats a huge perk in my opinon.  There are a lot of nice venues in the area but they haven't been updated in a while and it shows.  This place was great.

Our venue is the Lake Valhalla Club...the price would work for you but I think the venue itself would be too small for your size wedding.  Def look into The Grove....as a guest at a wedding I can tell you it was amazing.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We booked Waterside for October 2013 because I didn't want the typical reception venue with a ballroom. They only do one wedding a time and the rooms are both gorgeous (floor to celing windows with a view of the City) -- cocktail hour is on second floor and the reception is on the 3rd floor. We went with Waterside over Liberty House because LH got awful reviews of the food (I have had dinner at Waterside and it's great). We are paying 160 pp and that includes ++ but this is for a Friday night.

Seasons is also absolutely amazing. My FSIL got married there in 2011 and it as unbelievable, they did SUCH a great job and Ih ave never ever seen a cocktail hour like that in my life. The only reason my fiance and I didn't book there is because our Church is in Hoboken.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards