June 2012 Weddings

Invite printing problem - WWYD?

So I'd posted on the FB group after I received the inserts for my invitations, because the map on the directions card is bizarrely offset:

(Ignore the weird background colors, it's still enclosed in plastic here)

The printer wrote back and offered to re-print for me and suggested I send them a JPG instead of a PDF, because it was probably a compression issue - so I did, but expressed concerns about the print quality, and was told it would be perfectly fine.  They even custom-sized the new cards for me and everything (the others I ordered as 11x17 sheets to cut myself).  When I got the invoice for the new order (free, of course) I figured she'd printed one, deemed it fine, and had gone ahead with the rest of the printing.  The new cards came in yesterday.

The problem is, they look AWFUL.  They're pixelated, the colors don't match, and the map image is fuzzy - EXACTLY the reasons I was concerned about the image quality with the JPG.

I'm going to write back and tell her I'm really disappointed, but...then what?  I don't have the personal time to keep troubleshooting this, and invites need to go out in 2 weeks - I've already wasted 1 on getting assistance and having them reprinted, even with the rush job & shipping.

What would you do?  Go for one last round of printing, or just suck it up and send out the ones with the funky map issue?  I don't think it'll be a problem with people trying to figure things out, but it just doesn't look good and it's really annoying to me AND FI!
Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI

Re: Invite printing problem - WWYD?

• I'm confused on what is wrong on the original ones.  Is it that those two lines shouldn't be there, but are?

Honestly, I would probably try for one more reprint, just because I have OCD and that would bother me to know end that what I was sending wasn't 100% right.  However, if you can't get them reprinted again or can't get them in time, I guess I would sent the original ones that are clear and just have some extra lines rather than the one with poor print quality. 

Sorry you are having this issue!
  • That is so FRUSTRATING! I would have had high hopes based on their first response.

Could you print them yourself? Could you take them to a chain printer like Staples or Kinko? Would the cost of that option be less than what you were paying this business?

I think if the worse case scenario is you don't include any map, your guests will still be able to find it. I think people look up the address beforehand and can access maps on their phones. You can also add it to your wedding website if you haven't already.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2012 Siggy Challenge - Wedding RingsPhotobucket
  • The whole image was shifted down and to the left, so the lines that appear on the top are actually technically the bottom of the image, and the lines on the right side are originally from the left.  And the roads that travel north and east are cut off about 3/16" before the edge because of the shift.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_invite-printing-problem-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:b0b646f4-d70b-4135-aa88-0abbc876412fPost:5de3e268-1d96-4207-968b-2cd7351a2b61">Re: Invite printing problem - WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is so FRUSTRATING! I would have had high hopes based on their first response. Could you print them yourself? Could you take them to a chain printer like Staples or Kinko? Would the cost of that option be less than what you were paying this business? I think if the worse case scenario is you don't include any map, your guests will still be able to find it. I think people look up the address beforehand and can access maps on their phones. You can also add it to your wedding website if you haven't already.
    Posted by BrooklynNovia[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the other three cards they printed for me look wonderful, and the paper quality offered by Staples/Kinko's isn't anywhere near this.  They're also crazy expensive, for some reason.

For me, worst case scenario is including the first print, because it's all one directions card and I can't NOT include directions!  I worked hard on it, LOL!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_invite-printing-problem-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:b0b646f4-d70b-4135-aa88-0abbc876412fPost:febe2325-ceff-47fd-90db-a1ecf1f8e928">Re: Invite printing problem - WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invite printing problem - WWYD? : The problem is that the other three cards they printed for me look wonderful, and the paper quality offered by Staples/Kinko's isn't anywhere near this.  They're also crazy expensive, for some reason. For me, worst case scenario is including the first print, because it's all one directions card and I can't NOT include directions! <strong> I worked hard on it, LOL!</strong>
    Posted by DrPB2b13[/QUOTE]
    I hear that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2012 Siggy Challenge - Wedding RingsPhotobucket
  • Is there anyway you could buy nicer paper and print them at home/work or staples/kinkos etc. I wouldn't sent them as is, but I'm also marrying someone who spent the better part of the week arguing over which stamps to use, so there is no way in hell he would use a pixilated map. I would at least do a trial printing with the new image on your own printer/staples etc to make sure your image is correct. Then have the vendor reprint them and ask for complimentary expedited shipping. Btw we used Cards Pockets and their quality is great and the printing was very cheapmaybe ask them for a quote and order from there? If you forgo a sample printing you will get your order in less than a week.
  • I would probably complain again and ask that they redo it, do it right, and scan in a proof before they go and print the entire batch.  That way you don't have to wait a week for them to mail you a proof, then another for the whole job. 

I'm a really persistent customer, and I know I can be annoying but I do end up with what I want usually.  IMO, its the business' job to turn out a quality product.  I always think, if I did this to a customer/colleague, would I be embarassed & try to make it right?  If the answer is yes, then I persist that the company makes it right!!

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_invite-printing-problem-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:b0b646f4-d70b-4135-aa88-0abbc876412fPost:f3efa36e-8e2b-47c2-89d0-39415f272446">Re: Invite printing problem - WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would probably complain again and ask that they redo it, do it right, and scan in a proof before they go and print the entire batch.  That way you don't have to wait a week for them to mail you a proof, then another for the whole job.  I'm a really persistent customer, and I know I can be annoying but I do end up with what I want usually.  IMO, its the business' job to turn out a quality product.  I always think, if I did this to a customer/colleague, would I be embarassed & try to make it right?  If the answer is yes, then I persist that the company makes it right!! Good luck!
    Posted by michellep1[/QUOTE]

I agree with Michelle. I would have them do it again, if it doesn't work, just go with the better of the three. I wouldn't pay someone else to do it, and a slightly messed up map is better than no map. Good luck! I would't pay for expensive printing somewhere else. Oh, and get your money refunded also. :P
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks guys.  I can't really go through another printer at this point without huge costs, because I would have to redo EVERYTHING, not just the directions cards.  I picked this particular printer because they had a paper quality very similar to what our letterpress invitations are made from, which makes the entire invite go together; Cards & Pockets doesn't offer this, and I wasn't able to find one from Staples or Kinko's, both of which have pretty high printing costs for something this small.  I also do not have a good quality printer here at home for these things.

I'm going to write to the printer again and see if we can get this sorted out, but I'm thinking I'll just have to send out the offset maps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards