Wedding Party
Options

Do you think this is over the line? this is long

I may be being overly sensitive.
So the wife of one our groomsmen(my fi brother) emails me to find out if we will change the clothing for the groomsmen because her husbands vest is tight it will button but is too tight. I found the vest was too small while cooking Easter Dinner was not going to deal with it then but was planning on sensitively addressing this issue.
Before I have a chance to address the issue with my FI or his brother, I go into work the next morning and have an email asking me to change everyone's clothingbecause the vest is too small and he does not want to stick out  and she is asking he is too embarrassed to say something to us. There is also a link to a horrible replacement that she thinks will be "perfect" for our wedding.-which it would be if our theme was tacky and cheap.
Already knowing that I hated this option. I emailed both back to let her know that I would figure this out and not worry that if needed I would look into changing clothing but do not think this would be necessary and would only do so if the rest of the party would not lose money. 
Later that night I emaled again to let know what she emailed me would not work and to take the vest to a tailor to see if they could recut the vest, add fabric under the arms and re sew the seams. This probably the wrong wording but they should have gotten the gist. I even offered to find a tailor who could do this.
I got another email saying could we please change the outfits. So I again suggested taking to the tailor and that this is what I would like done.
Today I got an email saying they tried( which I believe is not true) and it cannot be let out. So I emailed back and included my FI this time letting all know that next time  we see them to give me the vest and I will try to find an exact or close enough match in his size and if I could not do this check the tailors I have received reference for to see if they can do anything and recreate vest all that he would need to do is go and either buy or get measured. I did ask where they went becuase I did not waste my time going to the same place.
Through all of this I never heard from the groomsman only his wife.
Is it me or did you finds this way too forward asking me to change the outfits for the wedding party. On top of this they have not helped with anything, I had to order her dress, pick up both there clothing and have not gotten paid fo any of this.  I did not mention this to my FI because I do not want him to think I am being hard on them but I am so angry at her for asking this. I would never have dared too  and would be offering to help.  For there wedding I agreed to be in the wedding two weeks before because one of the bridesmaids dropped out( I had not even been dating my FI for a year) ,spent money on their reception decorations because they did not have any and spent 10 hours helping them decorate the day before. Where she has the nerve to ask this and to let me know we need to have the rehearsal after 7pm because that is convenient for them,  I let that go because we are planning on 7 because that works for my family coming from 2 hour away.
Sorry for my long rant and vent

Re: Do you think this is over the line? this is long

• Options
    I do think that she has crossed the line.  You seem to be very helpful in the situation.  But for the SIL to ask you to change the outfits after everyone has them is prety forward.  Especially since it would cost everyone extra money.  I think what you are going to do by trying to find a replacement, and trying to find a taylor to take care of all this is the right thing to do.

Good Luck.
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • Options
    par31par31 member
    First Comment
    Thanks I need it!
  • Options
    Yes, she was being really rude to keep asking you to change everyone's outfit.

However, you also keep feeding right into her ridiculous requests. For both your wedding and her own. Nobody held a gun to your head to make you do all of those things ... it was nice of you to help her out, but you can't keep complaining how badly she's treating you but keep going back for more. They keep pushing you around because they know you'll just lay back and take it.

You should've ignored the e-mails (after saying, ONCE, "We're not changing the outfits, just get a vest that fits") and let her husband come to your FI if he had problems with his attire. You should've stayed out of it entirely. And instead of paying for and picking up their outfits for them, you should've just said, "Sorry, I won't be available to do that. If you can't pay for and pick up the outfits in time, you're more than welcome to wear what you want and attend as guests."

Yes, they're crossing the line, but you're doing nothing to stop them from doing so. You're all at fault here.
  • Options
    Malphabet is completely right.

Put your foot down, don't go whining that someone else wants to chang your outfits. If you don't want to change them, dont change them.  Either have the vest let out, if possible or get a new one. Problem solved.
  • Options
    par31par31 member
    First Comment
    Hi I am at Fault for asking some to take a vest to be altered? No I am not. I am at fault for making sure people have the needed clothing to be in the wedding? No I am not. I do not keep coming back for more.
    Not responding to her emails first of all would have been rude and second if someone asks you a direct question which I was asked you answer them. I do not keep going back for more; I am keeping my wedding organized and on track.
    If you feel this is going back for more, I would hate to be sitting around for you to be answering a question I had that was of concern because I would never get an answer and then would not know what to do.
    Thanks for your input though!!
  • Options
    par31par31 member
    First Comment
    Its not wining or going back for more. I have put my foot down but if we need to change something so his brother can be in the wedding this should be our decision with out being asked before all other alternatives have been exhausted. If we want to change something that is our decision to do so and should not have even been asked
  • Options
    par31par31 member
    First Comment

Cannot find the same color in his size. Believe it or not a vest is not the easiest thing to find and my FI likes everything to be uniformed so all need to be the same. We will probably just have one made for him and my issue really is not even that it did not fit. It happens no big deal and things can be changed if needed.  
    My issue is how forward his wife is about our wedding and how we need to change something to suit them when through out our whole planning process we made it very easy for the wedding party and taken care of everything ourselves including picking up and/or ordering everything everyone would need ourselves and changing times of things such as our rehearsal so that all can attend. I guess its because I would never be that forward and go out of my way for others,
    Thank you for your suggestion though.

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2011
    My issue is how forward his wife is about our wedding and how we need to change something to suit them

You don't "need" to do anything for them. You keep CHOOSING to do things for them. And they keep demanding things of you because they know you will bend over and do it for them.

I guess its because I would never be that forward and go out of my way for others

Well, these two people clearly don't feel the same way.

But by all means, keep doing stuff for them and then getting disappointed when they don't return the favor.

You can either do something about it, or you can whine about it. Seems like you're just interested in whining about it.
  • Options
    Your wedding is over 2 months away. That should be plenty of time for him to find a new matching vest. You really do need to grow a backbone and put your foot down. Getting the right attire is his sole responsibility for your wedding, so he needs to do that himself.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_think-this-over-line-this-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:f422bacb-d93b-464b-a19b-4705e2bcbc8cPost:3169d8b3-c84c-4f18-91b7-5880f38b0d6c">Do you think this is over the line? this is long</a>:
    [QUOTE]I may be being overly sensitive. So the wife of one our groomsmen(my fi brother) emails me to find out if we will change the clothing for the groomsmen because her husbands vest is tight it will button but is too tight. I found the vest was too small while cooking Easter Dinner was not going to deal with it then but was planning on sensitively addressing this issue. Before I have a chance to address the issue with my FI or his brother, I go into work the next morning and have an email asking me to change everyone's clothing because the vest is too small and he does not want to stick out  and she is asking he is too embarrassed to say something to us. There is also a link to a horrible replacement that she thinks will be "perfect" for our wedding.-which it would be if our theme was tacky and cheap. Already knowing that I hated this option. I emailed both back to let her know that I would figure this out and not worry that if needed I would look into changing clothing but do not think this would be necessary and would only do so if the rest of the party would not lose money.  Later that night I emaled again to let know what she emailed me would not work and to take the vest to a tailor to see if they could recut the vest, add fabric under the arms and re sew the seams. This probably the wrong wording but they should have gotten the gist. I even offered to find a tailor who could do this. I got another email saying could we please change the outfits. So I again suggested taking to the tailor and that this is what I would like done. Today I got an email saying they tried( which I believe is not true) and it cannot be let out. So I emailed back and included my FI this time letting all know that next time  we see them to give me the vest and I will try to find an exact or close enough match in his size and if I could not do this check the tailors I have received reference for to see if they can do anything and recreate vest all that he would need to do is go and either buy or get measured. I did ask where they went becuase I did not waste my time going to the same place. Through all of this I never heard from the groomsman only his wife. Is it me or did you finds this way too forward asking me to change the outfits for the wedding party. On top of this they have not helped with anything, I had to order her dress, pick up both there clothing and have not gotten paid fo any of this.  I did not mention this to my FI because I do not want him to think I am being hard on them but I am so angry at her for asking this. I would never have dared too  and would be offering to help.  For there wedding I agreed to be in the wedding two weeks before because one of the bridesmaids dropped out( I had not even been dating my FI for a year) ,spent money on their reception decorations because they did not have any and spent 10 hours helping them decorate the day before. Where she has the nerve to ask this and to let me know we need to have the rehearsal after 7pm because that is convenient for them,  I let that go because we are planning on 7 because that works for my family coming from 2 hour away. Sorry for my long rant and vent
    Posted by par31[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_think-this-over-line-this-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:f422bacb-d93b-464b-a19b-4705e2bcbc8cPost:39d0a8bd-0551-4cfd-a85e-8275c35da22f">Re: Do you think this is over the line? this is long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi I am at Fault for asking some to take a vest to be altered? No I am not. I am at fault for making sure people have the needed clothing to be in the wedding? No I am not. I do not keep coming back for more. Not responding to her emails first of all would have been rude and second if someone asks you a direct question which I was asked you answer them. I do not keep going back for more; I am keeping my wedding organized and on track. If you feel this is going back for more, I would hate to be sitting around for you to be answering a question I had that was of concern because I would never get an answer and then would not know what to do. Thanks for your input though!!
    Posted by par31[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_think-this-over-line-this-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:f422bacb-d93b-464b-a19b-4705e2bcbc8cPost:88ba0efe-3469-4dc3-908a-0cd4f356506f">Re: Do you think this is over the line? this is long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its not wining or going back for more. I have put my foot down but if we need to change something so his brother can be in the wedding this should be our decision with out being asked before all other alternatives have been exhausted. If we want to change something that is our decision to do so and should not have even been asked
    Posted by par31[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_think-this-over-line-this-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:f422bacb-d93b-464b-a19b-4705e2bcbc8cPost:0fb9a9f9-f629-4176-b7f5-251ca06f5169">Re: Do you think this is over the line? this is long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cannot find the same color in his size. Believe it or not a vest is not the easiest thing to find and my FI likes everything to be uniformed so all need to be the same. We will probably just have one made for him and my issue really is not even that it did not fit. It happens no big deal and things can be changed if needed.   My issue is how forward his wife is about our wedding and how we need to change something to suit them when through out our whole planning process we made it very easy for the wedding party and taken care of everything ourselves including picking up and/or ordering everything everyone would need ourselves and changing times of things such as our rehearsal so that all can attend. I guess its because I would never be that forward and go out of my way for others, Thank you for your suggestion though.
    Posted by par31[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_think-this-over-line-this-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:f422bacb-d93b-464b-a19b-4705e2bcbc8cPost:1280ec0c-274b-4af4-82a4-af37e608f8c1">Re: Do you think this is over the line? this is long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, she was being really rude to keep asking you to change everyone's outfit. However, you also keep feeding right into her ridiculous requests. For both your wedding and her own. Nobody held a gun to your head to make you do all of those things ... it was nice of you to help her out, but you can't keep complaining how badly she's treating you but keep going back for more. They keep pushing you around because they know you'll just lay back and take it. You should've ignored the e-mails (after saying, ONCE, "We're not changing the outfits, just get a vest that fits") and let her husband come to your FI if he had problems with his attire. You should've stayed out of it entirely. And instead of paying for and picking up their outfits for them, you should've just said, "Sorry, I won't be available to do that. If you can't pay for and pick up the outfits in time, you're more than welcome to wear what you want and attend as guests." Yes, they're crossing the line, but you're doing nothing to stop them from doing so. You're all at fault here.
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

This. Also, I kind of want to slap you after your last few posts...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ok so why can't he buy the same vest again but in a bigger size?  Couldn't he go back to where he bought it in the first place?  If that place doesn't have it in stock can't they just order it in for him?  Is that vest discontinued of something?  Am I missing something here?  This seems like it could have been an easy issue to fix but both of you have made it a huge problem.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_think-this-over-line-this-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:f422bacb-d93b-464b-a19b-4705e2bcbc8cPost:05b39032-19c5-4c2d-9514-7aa95d36ca78">Re: Do you think this is over the line? this is long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok so why can't he buy the same vest again but in a bigger size?  Couldn't he go back to where he bought it in the first place?  If that place doesn't have it in stock can't they just order it in for him?  Is that vest discontinued of something?  Am I missing something here?  This seems like it could have been an easy issue to fix but both of you have made it a huge problem.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Seems like the easy fix is for him to order a new vest.  As for your problem with a pushy sister-in-law to be I think you should just keep repeating yourself, but don't offer to do it for her.  Stay calm, use your robot voice, or get your FI to tell them whats up. Don't complicate things for everyone else by giving in.  Is he the best man?  If so, could he wear a different color? My FI best man will be in ivory (vest) like him...  It is only two months away and then this will all go away and you will be safely on your honeymoon laughing about this all with your new hubby.  Just keep thinking of that!  I hope you are going somewhere relaxing, and promise me that you won't check your email! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i guess i'm confused as to why you're in communication with your FI's groomsmen's wife....the man needs to grow some cojones and address the problem with either you or you FI.

i suggest you, or even better, your FI, contact this groomsmen DIRECTLY (i.e., a phone call) and get the scoop, and come to a conclusion. you need to stick up for youself, and tell them that reoutfitting the entire WP is not an option, so what is the next step.

good luck

• Options
    WOW. people can really be quite harsh on here. 
    I don't agree with those saying you are being a doormat.  i think you have seen a problem in your WP and are doing all you can to try to help them fix it. 
    You have gone beyond what most people would do.  Its not easy to make everyone in the wedding party happy all at the same time.  Do you need to be firm? sure,  but you know these people more than anyone on here does so you would know best on how to relate to them.  At the same time you have to have barriers, you have many things to handle and decide on...they can help by doing some of the smaller things...like figuring out their own outfit...they ordered it.
    I think at this point you should get your fiance involved to reinforce that they need to either order another vest or have it altered.  and if it can't be altered than maybe consider dropping the vest from the outfit. 
    Good luck and don't let the negative comments affect you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards