Wedding Reception Forum
Options

First Dance...Mix of Tradition and Fun

My finace and I are pretty outgoing people and we want to use the first dance to show off our personalities and bubbling over love. I have two good friends who are going to choreograph our dance for free--so that's taken care of, but I need to get them a song...here lies the issue.

Like I said earlier, I want the dance to encapsulate who we are as individuals and also who we are as a couple. I want a touch of traditional, but with some fun (and memorable) choreographed moves. 

Does anyone have suggestions of songs or how to do this?

Re: First Dance...Mix of Tradition and Fun

• Options
    Honestly, with the abundance of couple who try to make their first dance memorable by any number of things (WP dancing to Gangham Style, Thriller, etc. or having a record scratch and then changing the music from traditional to something else -which in the age of digital isn't fooling anyone) what would actually be memorable would be for a bride and groom to complete an actual ballroom dance.  It doesn't have to be the waltz.  You can do a cha-cha or an Argentine Tango (DH and I take ballroom dance and love these two).
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    ha. hubby and I thought about this for awhile, and we ended up waltzing to mraz "i wont give up'. it was classy, and everyone loved it =P

if you're set on something modern and meeting all of your stated qualifications, then i'd suggest professionally mixing a few songs together.  though, like PP said, this has been done a lot and gets cheezy quite fast.

if your personalities are just straight up bubbly, then perhaps bruno mars "just the way you are" might be a starting point. its a cute song, and peppy enough that you could do coreography.
  • Options
    As I was donig some searching today (instead of working of course!) I sort of came to that conclusion too. I think we'll just make sure we choose a song that isn't over done, maybe have a few neat moves thrown in and go from there. 
    I think we're going to try to do someting a little fun with the entire bridal party entrace instead of the dance.

Thanks!
  • Options
    It's your wedding, not a dance recital.  Even if you don't know how to do a special dance, just stand there and sway. We did, and it was incredibly romantic (many people at our wedding cried during our dance).

As a guest, I would not enjoy sitting through a "performance."
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    the best way to express your feelings and personality, imo, is by having a song that fits the 2 of you.
    truly-rehearsed dances make me want to slit my wrists-and i'm not the only one.

of course you're bubbling love. that's really the whole reason everyone (or most I guess) get married-showing that is showing nothing new really. does that make sense?

• Options
    Haha, I'm REALLY glad I posted. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_first-dancemix-of-tradition-and-fun?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:02150d95-816b-4d63-aa30-2d3932e081a7Post:d3c7287b-d6d1-4935-8020-991f5d7e5058">First Dance...Mix of Tradition and Fun</a>:
    [QUOTE]My finace and I are pretty outgoing people and we want to use the first dance to show off our personalities and bubbling over love. I have two good friends who are going to choreograph our dance for free--so that's taken care of, but I need to get them a song...here lies the issue. Like I said earlier, I want the dance to encapsulate who we are as individuals and also who we are as a couple. I want a touch of traditional, but with some fun (and memorable) choreographed moves.  Does anyone have suggestions of songs or how to do this?
    Posted by slshober6[/QUOTE]

The only time I have ever been entertained by choreographed dances at weddings was watching them on YouTube before it actually became a fad to do so. I've seen it at a few weddings I have attended and it was a bit awkward.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_first-dancemix-of-tradition-and-fun?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:02150d95-816b-4d63-aa30-2d3932e081a7Post:ff1ffeac-161c-468e-9a59-63cd5dd053c9">Re: First Dance...Mix of Tradition and Fun</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to First Dance...Mix of Tradition and Fun : The only time I have ever been entertained by choreographed dances at weddings was watching them on YouTube before it actually became a fad to do so. I've seen it at a few weddings I have attended and it was a bit awkward.
    Posted by Weezy56[/QUOTE]

<div>This is how I feel too.  I also feel like the couple is just trying to create a show instead of enjoying a romantic first dance.</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think you can make it traditional and fun... without becoming kitschy.

I like the suggestion earlier of just doing a real ballroom dance.  It may be romantic to some, but I just really don't want to do the slow-dance swaying thing.  I want to actually dance, and I want to use a song with a little more upbeat tempo, BUT I don't want to do anything silly like Gangnam or Thriller.  I don't want to do anything that requires a lot of choreography, but just some simply traditional dance steps.

Think Waltz, Foxtrot, or Tango.  You can use a modern, fun song, but just dance a traditional dance.  It's not awkward unless you're trying to do all these crazy or silly moves.  Then it gets weird.

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards