New York-Hudson Valley

Totally NWR: Dog Food?

I know there's quite a few of you with dogs on the boards and I had a simple question for you!  We just had a check-up for our 10 month old Jack Russell Mix and our vet said we can start transition her to adult food within the next month or two.

She's been on Wellness since she was born and we just continued that, but I was wondering if you guys could suggest the brands you use! I don't mind paying a little more for a quality food, just thought now would be a good time to switch it up!  Or we'll just continue with the adult Wellness!

Re: Totally NWR: Dog Food?

• edited December 2011
    I use Fromm Gold. My dog's digest it well, and it's a high quality food. If Wellness has worked well for you, than you could just stick with that. But always remember to transition the food, don't just switch. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jamiefourjamiefour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also use Fromm.  I have tried a lot with my dog because he has weak stomach.  This one is by far the best.  I have also used solid gold and that wasn't bad. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    This might sound weird.... but my family has had dogs for as long as I can remember (and of course even before).

My Grandfather especially has taken care of his dogs well and they have all lived to be at least 15 or 16 years if not longer.

He feeds them Eukanuba kibble mixed with anything from chicken, beef, liver and even scrambled eggs. Obviously all of those things take time to prepare and since he's retired, he has more time than we do. But he changes it up and also adds oils that are good for their coat. One thing he has NEVER done is feed them canned dog food.

This may be a little bit above and beyond what you can do, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • edited December 2011
    Have you considered making your own? It is easier, healthier & probably cheaper in the long run (isn't Wellness about $2.50 a can?! My 30 lb dog eats two of those cans a day)

I boil some free range meat, mix it with a little brown rice or oatmeal cooked in the meat broth, add some pureed veggies (sweet potato, zucchini, string beans, peas, etc.) maybe an egg and I have food for the week. I put them in plastic containers to store in the freezer. I also add in some supplementation.. a multi-vitamin, some bone meal powder (or powdered egg shells) for calcium, powdered kelp & cold flaxseed oil.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards