Honeymoon Discussions

Need Advice Please!!

I had finally narrowed down my honeymoon options and was just about to book the Royal in Playa Del Carmen for October. Just about the same time my FMIL calls my FI and is freaking out because one of her coworker's daughter's went with her friend to Cancun and they were abducted from the resort and held at 5,000 ransom each.  She was so worried that we were planning on going to Riviera Maya she told my FI to please look into something else.  I had my heart set on being able to be at an AI, with a nice beach, shopping, and ruins/excursions! 

I have two questions: 
1.) Does any one have more advice on the safety of Riviera Maya/Cancun?  I talked with a travel agent after talking to my FMIL and the travel agent said she's never heard of anything like that happening before. 

2.) If we do change the destination, does any one have any suggestions at a honeymoon location that would be a mix of beach/excursions/nightlife (possibly ruins or some kind of historical significance?) for between 3 and 5 thousand?  Our budget in Riviera Maya was 3 but I have to be realistic that other places aren't as good of a value! 

TIA!!!

Re: Need Advice Please!!

• The violence in Mexico is mainly between the drug cartels. Unless you or your FI plan on getting involved in that industry it's highly unlikely you'll be any less safe than you would be in your own neighbourhood.  The media plays up situations like what's happening in Mexico for ratings.  Also, 5K is a pretty pathedic randsom, I have a hard time believing what your FMIL told you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And a lot more of that stuff happens in border towns, not inside an All Inclusive Resort, or on a 50 person zip line excursion.
    Call me edgy, but we're going to Mexico next month for our honeymoon and I'm not worried one bit.
  • In Response to Re:Need Advice Please!!:[QUOTE]The violence in Mexico is mainly between the drug cartels. Unless you or your FI plan on getting involved in that industry it's highly unlikely you'll be any less safe than you would be in your own neighbourhood.nbsp; The media plays up situations like what's happening in Mexico for ratings.nbsp; Also, 5K is a pretty pathedic randsom, I have a hard time believing what your FMIL told you. Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]

This!
    We went to Cancun 3 yrs ago and we had no problems. We even went out walking by ourselves at night ,we stayed in the hotel zone,.
    Actually, I'm in the process of planning a trip to Cancun for next yr.
  • I think that's nonsense.  We were just in Cancun in February and were perfectly safe.  We ventured off the resort twice on our own taking public transportation and walking around by ourselves.  I would keep your plans as they are.  If you want to change though, I'd recommend the Sandals Royal Bahamian in the Bahamas. 
  • when did this alleged abduction take place? I have been to Mexico several times since 2006 and do not recall something like this being plastered all over the news. As a resident of Arizona, I would not just wander over the border, but places like Cancun or Los Cabos are safe. As with any destination- LA or NYC included- you just have to be aware of your surroundings and don't do something completely stupid, like attempting to buy drugs off of the street.

• We have a timeshare in Cancun and we have NEVER had any problems. I have never heard of anything like this happening there. We even have friends that we met in Mexico that we stay in contact with because we go down there so often! I wouldnt worry about a thing, go as you please and enjoy yourself!
  • I have a feeling that this is something that happened to a "friend of a friend" .
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • DH and I were just in Cozumel a few months ago and had a great time and never ever felt unsafe. Actually, out of all the Caribbean, Mexico is where we have felt the safest other than the virgin islands. When we stayed in Cancun a few years ago, we loved that we could wander off our resort even at night by ourselves and felt perfectly safe. Whereas a lot of other islands, you don't want to do this unless you're on a guided tour.

Please read my sticky at the top of the Honeymoon Board page regarding safety in Mexico ;)
  • when was this? I was there a week ago.

• For safety, just watch what is going on around you.  No matter where you go you can always have something happen but as long as you use common sense and pay attention to your surroundings odds are you'll be fine. 

Out of all the times I've traveled anywhere (even walking from my car to my office) I've never had a problem anywhere in the world.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:3ba9e38b-680f-40c0-8a48-8c1cd0730b51Post:45508ee4-9079-496d-88cc-d475aca81ca5">Re: Need Advice Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The violence in Mexico is mainly between the drug cartels. Unless you or your FI plan on getting involved in that industry it's highly unlikely you'll be any less safe than you would be in your own neighbourhood.  The media plays up situations like what's happening in Mexico for ratings.  Also, 5K is a pretty pathedic randsom, I have a hard time believing what your FMIL told you.
    Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]

Ditto. This story seems made up.

We happen to be getting married in Playa del Carmen this November and have about 40 people coming along with us. We have both visited this area of Mexico previously and during one of my visits I even rented a car and drove all over the place without any issues. On my first visit I was with two other women and we walked alone (yes, even at night) in Tulum and we never once felt unsafe. This area of Mexico is perfectally fine. Don't let someone else's fears influence your decision to honeymoon there. It's a wonderful place! 
  • That's exactly what I thought!! Thanks so much for reaffirming my feelings.  When I was in high school my family would take vacations to Puerto Adventurous and stay in a condo (I have a huge fam) and we'd rent a car and drive every where from Cancun to Belieze and I never felt unsafe.  I wasn't sure if it was just because I was with my step dad (an ex marine) or if I was naive. 

I just need to figure out what to tell her in order to have her not worry the whole time.  I asked my FI to ask her the specifics of what happened...but he either did and she didn't say or he never did. 

Thanks for all of your feedback!
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:3ba9e38b-680f-40c0-8a48-8c1cd0730b51Post:49f8bbfc-f4ec-4e64-8715-1ff758d0f46f">Re: Need Advice Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]For safety, just watch what is going on around you.  No matter where you go you can always have something happen but as long as you use common sense and pay attention to your surroundings odds are you'll be fine.  Out of all the times I've traveled anywhere (even walking from my car to my office) I've never had a problem anywhere in the world.
    Posted by MMRoberts11[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree! Actually my FI refused to go to Mexico for our honeymoon because he doesn't trust that it's safe (He's a martial artist, they are kind of weird like that).</div><div>On the other hand, I think going to Cancun is fine as long as you stay in a good area, use common sense and don't walk around like the vulnerable tourist. Many people will tell you that they've "walked around at night by themselves and feel perfectly safe". The problem is, anyone can <strong>feel</strong> perfectly safe until something does happen to you. The point is, be smart about staying safe, don't walk around at night even if your FI is with you. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to Mexico with my FI last year and when I would tell ppl where we planned on going, I'd get a funny look, followed up with, "Are you sure that's safe??" It was extremely annoying! I love Mexico, and have been numerous times. I feel much more safe there than I did when I was living in Center City Philadelphia! Playa del Carmen is gorgeous. You should go and enjoy yourself!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:3ba9e38b-680f-40c0-8a48-8c1cd0730b51Post:c189ea8d-a89b-4d2b-aa6b-c797fe04e8b1">Re: Need Advice Please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need Advice Please!! : I agree! Actually my FI refused to go to Mexico for our honeymoon because he doesn't trust that it's safe (He's a martial artist, they are kind of weird like that). On the other hand, I think going to Cancun is fine as long as you stay in a good area, use common sense and don't walk around like the vulnerable tourist. Many people will tell you that they've "walked around at night by themselves and feel perfectly safe". The problem is, anyone can feel perfectly safe until something does happen to you. The point is, be smart about staying safe, don't walk around at night even if your FI is with you. 
    Posted by megan8290[/QUOTE]

well-he will have to limit himself quite a bit then.
    my dh is nypd, his father is a retired chief nypd, his uncle is retired inspector nypd, his cousin is nypd/...the list goes on and on. they're cops. they go every year with us or at other times. isee no reason someone who's jut a fighter gets antsy about anywhere when people who are actual cops dont ......just saying....
    you dh needs to do some research.
    i disagree with not walking around at night even if fi is with you. are you joking? where? mexico? rome? manhattan? rural costa rica? anywhere? are you just supposed to stay inside at night? that's just bad advice. sorry.

• I would read the sticky at the top of the page, and I'm giving the side-eye to your FMILs story.  If two American women were abducted from a Mexican resort and held for ransom, I'd think it would be all over the news.  The touristy areas of Mexico are very safe, provided you take reasonable precautions that you should be taking regardless of where you're honeymooning. 

I was in the Riviera Maya area in January, and will be honeymooning in Cabo. 
  • Hello - We went to Mexico about a year ago. We stayed at an AI in Cancun.  We travelled off the resort (via resort transportation) twice -once to swim with the dolphins and once to go to a partner resort. No one gave us any problems and did not so much as look at us funny when we did. I recall the security was tight to get back into the resort at night~ they checked for armbands and looked for identification, which we appreciated.  We had no problems whatsoever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't mean to scare you, but there are several major cruiselines that are skipping Mexico becasue of the violence.  I am normally not a scar-d-y cat, but when I heard that I was glad my next cruise was not to Mexico.  We DO NOT hear about all the kidnappings that occur in that region right now.

However, I would agree that if stay in the resortie area's of Cancun it's probably safe.  And it is the most beautfiul place I've ever been.

I don't think the Virgin Islands are much more expensive than Mexico, or any of the other all-inclusive resorts around the Carribean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards