Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How to honor moms??

For some reason, my mom is REALLY getting adamant about honoring her and FMIL during the ceremony. I think she's freaked out by the fact that moms are so largely ignored in weddings... the FOB gets to walk bride down the aisle, have special father/daughter dance, etc. She's tried to convince me to do some sort of rose presentation thing, but that just sounds cutesy, plus it would be weird to just stop the ceremony to honor the moms (not that they don't deserve to be honored). I also don't want to leave out my dad's FI, who will be my stepmom by then.
How do I honor all three women without it being awkward or cheesy?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How to honor moms??

• Options
    we're including them in our sand ceremony.... stating that they are the foundation from which we've come, and they will pour the first bit of each of our sand into our main jar... i too, thought the rose thing was cheesy.... as for the stepmom, not sure about that one.... sorry... HTH!
  • Options
    Are you having any type of unity ceremony?  H and I did a unity candle, so we had our moms come light the tapered candles, and then we used to taper candles to light the pillar candle (aka, 'uniting' us).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We're not doing a sand pouring or candle lighting. Neither of us are crazy about the idea and the ceremony is in a forest, so a flame is probably a bad idea. Wink
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    My daughter has asked that her father and I walk her down the aisle and the groom will be asking his mother and father walk him down the aisle. They like the idea of both sets of parents showing their support and love for them. I think I'll miss watching my daughter walk down the aisle on her dad's arm. But I also appreciate the sentiment, so I have accepted the honor.

I don't expect to be honored in any way because it doesn't fit with my beliefs that marriage is between two consenting adults and the focus should be on the couple and their vows to each other - especially during the ceremony.

There is no rule saying you can't have a dance with your mom, during the reception. She could 'cut in' halfway through your dance with your dad.

• Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2012
    We did a rose ceremony and had them light our unity candle with us.  Both my mom and MIL were single moms and they only parent each of us has ever known so it was very important to us to include them in the ceremony.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Instead of corsages we are having mini bouquets made for our mothers and presenting them to them during the ceremony.  They are both helping to finance the wedding, and both helped shape the person we love so we wanted to honor them with something special during the ceremony.  They don't know we are planning this for them yet, so hopefully they will be touched by the gesture!  This was a suggestion from my florist friend.  She did it at her wedding and it was an emotional moment for them all.
  • Options
    FI and I figured it out! We'll be giving each others' mom a necklace and a rose during the reception rather than during the reception. Less awkward than stopping the ceremony, still a sweet moment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards