Not Engaged Yet

In need of product recommendations.

I think I've decided that I'll be DIYing my hair for my wedding.  I'm going to do a practice run on Tuesday before I go for my final dress fitting.

I need two things, I think.

1.  An anti-frizz serum that will smooth my hair without completely taking away its ability to hold a curl, and

2.  A flexible-hold hairspray that will keep curls in place but isn't stiff and crunchy.

Who can tell me what to buy?

Re: In need of product recommendations.

• I have a Nexus hair spray that rocks for both hold and movement.

I am no help about anti frizz serum. My weapon is to shower and blowdry the night before; for whatever reason the frizz dies down the next morning when I do that combo. Anti frizz serums just make me feel greasy.

www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    Do you have a regular stylist you can get recommendations from? I think it depends on your hair type.

My stylist used Kenra Platinum Hot Spray before curling, and I'm pretty sure she used TIGI Bed Head Masterpiece hair spray during and after curling. (It looks like the right can.)

Kenra:
    http://www.kenra.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ID=44

TIGI:
    http://www.tigihaircare.com/consumer/en-us/bedhead/bedhead-products.asp?product=masterpiece&categoryID=8

I washed my hair the night before, used Big Sexy Hair Root Pump mousse and Dense spray and then blowdried it. Then the morning of, I added a bunch of the Kenra spray and re-dried it. My hair is very difficult to curl with heat, so we used a lot of product. However, my hair was still nice and curly the day after my wedding.

What are you planning to do with your hair? I like BioSilk as an anti-frizz, but if you're planning to curl your hair, I wouldn't use it. In fact, if you're planning on a bunch of curls, only use a light conditioner when you wash it the night before. You don't want anything that will weigh your hair down.

• Leia - I'm going to put some varying curls in it using my flat iron and my curling rod, and then either pull the top part back or just put it all up in loose ponytail.  I played around with it today some and I'm pretty confident that I can get the look I want by myself if I find the right products.

I'm going to wash my hair the morning of instead of the night before since my wedding is in the evening (my hair starts to look oily after about 24 hours).  And since I'll be outdoors in Southeast Texas in June... on a lake... frizz is going to be a factor, but I'm definitely worried about serum weighing down the curls.  I typically really like the John Frieda Frizz-Ease serum, but my hair won't curl at all if I use it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_in-need-of-product-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:346f6dbc-2430-43c3-b3a9-62dc474ace07Post:7a7e8685-44f1-479f-b241-0a8a65b55e9c">Re: In need of product recommendations.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Leia - I'm going to put some varying curls in it using my flat iron and my curling rod, and then either pull the top part back or just put it all up in loose ponytail.  I played around with it today some and I'm pretty confident that I can get the look I want by myself if I find the right products. I'm going to wash my hair the morning of instead of the night before since my wedding is in the evening (my hair starts to look oily after about 24 hours).  And since I'll be outdoors in Southeast Texas in June... on a lake... frizz is going to be a factor, but I'm definitely worried about serum weighing down the curls.  <strong>I typically really like the John Frieda Frizz-Ease serum, but my hair won't curl at all if I use it.</strong>
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>I was literally just going to suggest this, always works for me. I never tried to curl my hair after using though... so weird that that happens. Have you ever tried Garnier Fructis Anti-Frizz serum?</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm a big fan of Redken products!  They are a bit more expensive, but they last a long time and are totally worth it. 

Two things that may help with frizz are Redken Argon Oil-I use 2 pumps every morning in my damp hair before I blow dry, it's awesome and doesn't weigh your hair down.  Or try Redken Smooth Down.  This is another one that you can use in damp hair before you blow dry and style.  Sometimes I use BOTH if I'm feeling extra frizzy.

For a great product that will protect your hair from heat and hold curl or make your hair super straight with your flat iron, try Redken Iron Silk.  It smells wonderful!  Use it after you blow try and use a few little spritzes on each piece as you curl or straighten.

Redken is a salon product, but I get most of my stuff at Ulta for a little less money.  Hope that helps!

Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Boo - I was actually browsing Ulta last night and came across Redken Real Control Slimming Serum.  It had great reviews.  I think I'll stop into the salon today and see what Redken products they have.

Puzzle - that's funny.  Yeah, I think the Frizz-Ease works too well.  It smooths my hair so much it just lies flat.  Really abnormal behavior for my hair.  I haven't tried Garnier, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck with Garnier products in general.
  • Purology has a great serum that will take away the frizz and gives your hair a golden shimmer with a very small amount and it doesnt weigh your hair down so you can curl it and go about your day! I also use Sebastian VaVoom hair spray (smells like strawberries), great light weight hold throughout the day! A bit on the pricey side ($50) for both, but they will last you!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards