Second Weddings
Options

There must already be a thread like this, yes?

"Things I learned are red flags" or "Tests that, in retrospect, we failed or skipped" or "Mistakes from last time and what I learned from them" or "Litmus tests I recommend"?

Something like this:

Before I married the first time, I asked my then-FI to make a list of 25 expectations he had for our marriage. He said he'd do it, I reminded him repeatedly, I made my own list and gave it to him, and even though he never did it and never mentioned why not, I went ahead and married him. You should not marry someone who cannot make a list of their expectations.

Another:

When I married the first time I was overly focused on the wedding itself, not because I was shallow or particularly cared about the wedding, but because I was lonely and not feeling the intimacy I needed from my then-FI. I didn't want to be a "bridezilla" and I tried my best to work on my relationship with FI, but I ended up disconnecting from what I feared would be bridezilla behavior, not by focusing on something more permanent and meaningful, but by just kind of zoning out and not giving a shlt about details. It didn't make me less stressed in the end, it just prevented me from having details that I was happy with. If the your retreat from control-freak behavior is apathy rather than bliss, you should not have a wedding.

Another:

When I was planning my first wedding and I read things like the above, it only strengthened my resolve to "prove" that I could be a "good" bride who "deserved" to have a wedding. It's not about whether you deserve to have a wedding, it's about whether the one you're planning will truly make you happy, whether it will be the day of your marriage to the most compassionate, compatible, trusting, and present partner you will ever need.

Yours?
"I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"

Re: There must already be a thread like this, yes?

• Options
    Mine:

If two of your closest friends take you aside a month before the wedding and tell you not to marry him...

If you spend an hour on the phone with another friend crying about the money your parents have put down on the wedding but your heart isn't in it....

If your gut is telling you it's the wrong decision....

You probably shouldn't be getting married. 
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    I'm a widow from my first marriage...but here are my lessons for this time:

Treat every day like it could be your last together.

Always say "I love you" because you may never see each other again.

Memories together are more important than buying more stuff.  The week before he died we went on an amazing cruise together.  My memories from that are MUCH more precious to me than the new TV we thought about getting instead of taking the trip.  
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Avion-thank you for sharing your thoughts!  I agree, life is precious!  FI and I end each phone call with 'I love you' and greet each other with hugs and kisses, even if we've only been apart for a few hours.  I do the same with my children.  LIfe is fleeting, enjoy each moment to its' fullest. 
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_there-must-already-be-a-thread-like-this-yes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:2713e613-23ee-4db3-bfdb-9facdacd1ba4Post:60d2efb4-2bf3-4a7c-8ed0-673fef2e4b7e">Re: There must already be a thread like this, yes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Memories together are more important than buying more stuff.  The week before he died we went on an amazing cruise together.  My memories from that are MUCH more precious to me than the new TV we thought about getting instead of taking the trip.  
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

That's really moving. This is advice I almost always need to hear.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • Options
    One of the SW brides from way back once said, "red flags are NOT a fashion accessory!"

Honestly, I think that rather than focusing on the specifics, it's more about paying attention to the red flags.  When you find yourself "settling", or making excuses for, or rationalizing, that should be a big honking red flag.  Whether it's your own little voice, the voice of people who love you or just the voice of reason, I think that there were voices warning us, for the most part.  So when I hear brides (1st time or 31st time down the aisle) complaining that family & friends don't think they should get married (versus shouldn't have a wedding), I always want to know why?  Often there is merit to their opinion.

And what Retread wrote about values is probably the one point I think is most important.  And one of the riskiest parts of marrying young.  Your adult values aren't fully formed before about 25.  So you have no idea who you are going to be, nor who your spouse will be.  Some lucky couples mature in tandem, and it works.  Others take a wildly divergent path, and end up in conflict.   Throw in an illness, injury, trauma or catastrophic event that impacts the person, and suddenly you are looking at a total stranger. 

And finally, I firmly believe some marriages just die.  Healthy, happy marriages just wither.  No one is at fault, it's just the way it goes.  ~Donna
  • Options
    Remember to make sure your partner is in love with you.  Seems pretty obvious, right?  But I was 23, and desperately in love with him, and so happy when he agreed to marry me that I didn't question whether he was really in love with me or just thought it was time to be getting on with the marriage thing.

Don't get me wrong--he was/is a great guy in many ways.  He's a decent enough person, never abused me, never cheated on me, etc.  I just don't know that he was ever really in love with me.
  • Options
    YES - THIS!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_there-must-already-be-a-thread-like-this-yes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:2713e613-23ee-4db3-bfdb-9facdacd1ba4Post:03e6ea31-edf2-443a-9eed-6a0f2ce1d96e">Re: There must already be a thread like this, yes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mine: If two of your closest friends take you aside a month before the wedding and tell you not to marry him... If you spend an hour on the phone with another friend crying about the money your parents have put down on the wedding but your heart isn't in it.... If your gut is telling you it's the wrong decision.... You probably shouldn't be getting married. 
    Posted by radleyboo[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I used to call my first husband my "but...guy." -  I really do love him, but sometimes he doesn't seem to care.  I love him, but he does have a temper.  I know he can seem stubborn and never compromise, but I do love him.  Okay, I know he drinks everyday, but he's going through a lot.  He never puts me or our relationship first, but I still love him.  - When you're always making excuses for your spouse's behaviors, there is an issue.  I also should have paid attention to the fact that I balled for two hours the night before our wedding, but I attributed it to cold feet and not having the "real wedding" that I wanted. Maybe we should have a "Please don't let me make these mistakes again" board.

BTW, I now have my "and guy." ( I love him, and he makes me feel great!  He's super smart, and I love him!  Oh, he is such a goofball, and I love him.)
  • Options
    Here we go... this is MY LIST. MAY NOT APPLY TO ALL 1. If you have to buy your own Ering 2. Your heart doesn't skip a beat when you see him. 3. You get so engrossed in the details that you don't realize the vows that are being exchanged. 4. You make excuses why he spends a great deal of time out of the house. 5. He never cherishes you or make you feel important. ...I now have someone who is in Love with me. 134 days until I'm Mrs. Ambush. I have not thanked God this morning : "Thank you Jesus!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards