Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon in London - Questions

We are looking at possibly taking our HM to London.  Does anyone know what areas are good to stay at or even some good information about HM'ing in London?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoon in London - Questions

• Options
    We are going to London for our HM in less than a month!  I can help must more when we get back!

We are staying in Earls court. I read online that its a good place to stay. We chose the Ramada.

We plan on getting an Oyster Card (traveling pass) once we get there.
  • Options
    RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We love London.  On our last trip we took a guided day-trip that included visiting the ancient city of Bath and a trip to Stonehenge then dinner at a 600 year old pub.  It was really amazing to see Stonehenge in person and the pictures we took at Bath were stunning.

We got a great room at the Club Quarters Trafalgar Square during a one day sale at Expedia (they have them all the time) so it was half-price.  That's a pretty central location but that can depend on what your focus/interest is.

• Options
    I was there last summer......loved Stonhenge as well!
    We stayed at the Hilton Metropole. The location was great, close to subways, safe, the hotel was nice and the included breakfasts was awesome.
    Have fun, London is a beautiful city!
  • Options
    If you have some time to do some research, check out vacation rentals on www.vrbo.com if you want your own flat in the city.  The Underground (subway) is amazing, and super easy to use to get anywhere you want.  I also recommend Rick Steve's London book, he has great ideas, city walks, and let's you know what places are free (most museums), where to get cheap theatre tickets, great restaurants, etc.  Have a great time!!
  • Options
    I lived in London, so feel free to PM with questions. I lived in Shepherd's Bush, which is a very working class area. For a honeymoon, if you can afford to stay in Knightsbridge or Kensington I think those are the nicest areas, but also priciest. Renting a flat from VRBO would be a great idea, Nottingham Hill and Batswater are some slightly cheaper areas that are still very convenient. Trafalgar Square is similar to Times Square in NYC, you will either love it or think its a horrible tourist trap and run from it. Depending on how old you are, many theaters and museums offer discounts to those under 25 or 30. The Underground is easy to navigate, the streets not so much. Get an A-Z guide and keep it with you at all times. Check out all the parks, they were my favorite places. And don't be afraid to take a day trip outside of London-there are so many great towns easily accessible by train just an hour or two away.
  • Options
    I've stayed at the Premier Inn near Tower Bridge, and also a hotel near Oxford Street. Both were very central and reasonably priced. I usually go for the Tower Bridge one mainly because its the same price as a hotel further out (unless you want to be twenty miles out).

www.visitlondon.com (I don't know how to do clickys).

See if you can get into things like special tours etc which would make it a real unique experience for you guys. For example, Tower of London has an after hours 'Ceremony of the Keys', which is basically their locking up routine they've done for centuries. Tickets are free, but limited and you must apply in advance (by post).
  • Options
    I have used a site called londontown.com for both of the trips I made to London. I like to be very close to the tube(train/subway) because that is relyy the only way to go around London. I was able to choose the right hotel that fit my budget each time. You may want to give it a look as it also offers airport transport,theater tickets etc....I was able to plan a whole weeks worth of sightseeing on one site. It may be of help for you
  • Options
    Another piece of advice is look for coupon booklets at the tube stations or ask a station attendent it they have any.

My parents just got back from London and picked us up a coupon booklet that as a lot of 2 for 1 offers/admission, including Tower of London and London Eye; it's going to end up saving us about $50 btwn the two sites
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards