Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Returning a shower gift from my grandmother??

For my bridal shower, my grandmother got me a Kenmore vaccuum that needs bags, and I had a Dyson stick vacuum on my registry because we have wood floors and low area rugs. We also have three cats and I put a second hand hald vacuum on my registry for their litter/play area. The vacuum my grandmother got me doesn't fit any of my needs, but she's the type who would be insulted if we returned the vacuum for a completely different brand... Also, we looked at the bagless version of the one she got us, and it's not bad, but it's just so ugly and clunky, I don't think I would enjoy using it. I asked my mom about this situation, and she wants me to stick to a kenmore because she's read really great reviews on the brand. I don't know what to do. I have the receipt and it's ready to go back to sears, should I get the bagless kenmore and just deal with it to make my mother and grandmother happy, or should I get one that fits all of my needs?

Re: Returning a shower gift from my grandmother??

• Options
    Take it back... and tell your grandmother it didn't suit your needs for your home because of the flooring, and you needed to get one that would work on your carpets and hardwoods.  And, you very much appreciate the gift.

Really though, how often is your grandmother going to be checking on the vacuum in your home?
  • Options
    I would exchange it for the one I wanted but not mention it to anyone.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_returning-a-shower-gift-from-my-grandmother?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:08d91b48-a609-4d7b-9782-14c130118d56Post:b662f1eb-9f2f-469b-b9b9-3d3815ee79a0">Re: Returning a shower gift from my grandmother??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would exchange it for the one I wanted but not mention it to anyone.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

<div>Me too.</div>
  • Options
    TheSlowskysTheSlowskys member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I would return it.  Might be kind of sticky if you leave your Dyson on the registry. Don't know if you've had your shower yet and she might see you open it there.  I second pp that she will never know what vacuum you have (at least mine wouldn't).

If you do not end up with the Dyson from your shower, and need a lower priced vacuum I highly recommend mine: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bissell-82H1-CleanView-Helix-Bagless-Upright-Vacuum/4417081/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla

I got it at Target for about the same price about a year ago.  We have a non-shedding dog, so I can't speak to hair but he tracks in all sorts of other stuff. It works great on our wall to wall and tile and wood floors.

EDIT: Just realized the title of your post says you already have your shower.  In that case I woulnd't worry about leaving the Dyson on and seeing if you get it for the wedding.
  • Options
    I'll be frank - the Dyson stick kind of sucks.  It honestly doesn't clean that well - especially for the money.  It's lighter and easier to use, yes, but it really doesn't do that great of a job.  I would consider looking online at reviews of the Kenmore vacuum before you return it since it might actually be better than the Dyson. 
  • Options
    Grandma can grow up and get over it. Take it back, use the money towards the unit you really want.  FWIW, I am a MIL and now a new grandma so it's not that I haven't had to deal with people like this. I have and sometimes they just need to grow up.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_returning-a-shower-gift-from-my-grandmother?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:08d91b48-a609-4d7b-9782-14c130118d56Post:b662f1eb-9f2f-469b-b9b9-3d3815ee79a0">Re: Returning a shower gift from my grandmother??</a>:

This.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_returning-a-shower-gift-from-my-grandmother?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:08d91b48-a609-4d7b-9782-14c130118d56Post:b662f1eb-9f2f-469b-b9b9-3d3815ee79a0">Re: Returning a shower gift from my grandmother??</a>:

yep, you have the right to do what you want to do
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have to agree that grandma will get over it. I would totally take it back and just not tell her. Ask if you can get a store credit and then if no one gets it use the credit towards completion of your list after the wedding. If she comes over, that's why there are closets lol. It's not a  big deal.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_returning-a-shower-gift-from-my-grandmother?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:08d91b48-a609-4d7b-9782-14c130118d56Post:220bf1a2-7cea-4e81-ba58-ed3c3311e6f0">Re: Returning a shower gift from my grandmother??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Miss Manners would advise you to write your grandmother a gracous thank-you note, quietly exchange the vacuum for what you want, keep the new vacuum out of sight when she visits.  When she asks how much you like your new vacuum that you got for your wedding, you answer that you love it.  It will be the truth.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards