Chit Chat

Something blue...

Ladies,

This weekend I purchased my something blue which will be my garter.  I was so excited, but now I'm a little bit confused.  I showed one of my BMs and she said "why did you buy that, the BMs and MOH are suppose to get those things for you and give them to you at your bachelorette party."  I didn't know this.  I've been reading and thought the something new something old etc was suppose to be done by the family (like my mom).  Since my mom was born and raced in another country she doesn't know of this custom so I figured I'd start looking for my own things.  I do plan on seeing if I could borrow something of hers but didn't think my BMs and MOH were suppose to get me these things.  Not sure if I should continue to get these on my own, return my garter or what. 

Please enlighten me.  Seems the more I read and think I'm doing things according to proper etiquette and keeping people in mind seems like the other BMs say otherwise.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Something blue...

• misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    You're fine. I find it odd that they would pick out that stuff for you. Picking out what you wear on your wedding day, especially jewelry, garters, and such, seems like a very personal decision.
  • Speaking of, can the "old", "borrowed" and "blue" be the same thing? Is there any rule?
  • That's ridiculous.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We've been seeing an increase in BMs bulling their way into this tradition, and I find it disturbing. These items are personal decisions made by the bride. Often family heirlooms and items of sentiment are chosen for emotional reasons. Why in god's name a horde or girls think they have the right to trump that and pressure the bride is beyond me.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_something-blue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:439b0aac-a284-47aa-bf9f-ddf7ae8e781bPost:3d77fe9a-47ac-44b2-9327-061055cec1b7">Re:Something blue...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Something blue...: Technically no. It also cannot be your dress, veil, shoes, or basic undergarments, except the blue. But againg, that's just depending on how literal you want to be.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Oops.  Sounds like I did this the wrong way the first time.  I wore a blue garter, considered my dress new, borrowed my mom's pearl earrings, and wrapped an antique handerchief around the base of my bouquet. 

Was considering my dress new (again) borrowing a friend's diamond earrings, no idea on old or blue, as I wasn't going to wear a garter at all.  Maybe blue panties?  I think this is one of the more fun traditions, I like hearing what others did. 

@Stage:  what did you use for your 'new' if you didn't include the things mentioned above?
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • That sucks. My mom brought home two of my grandmother's jewelry boxes and she said I could wear her sapphire and pearl earrings for the wedding (to have my grandmother there, in a sense). That was going to be my borrowed, old and blue - with the dress being the "new". Not a big deal though. I'm sure there are other things I can make do with. The earrings can be the blue or whatever. :)
  • My mom gave me her aunt's blue sapphire ring to wear for the blue. I was going to wear a Tardis garter...(from Dr. Who. I'm a geek) But I will honor my mother's wishes there. It's also old.

So my something new was going to be my kermit garter that I'm going to make. I will also call that "close enough". I think I'll borrow my grandmother's pearls.

Hopefully that all works. I had a sixpence somewhere but i guess I gotta find a new one.

• I love hearing what everyone carried! My something old was my engagement ring, which was my H's great grandmother's engagement ring from 1926. My new items were the custom pearl foot jewelry my friend made for me. The borrowed item was a necklace given to my mother by my grandmother. It also had blue stones, and was really meaningful since my grandmother was too sick to be there, and died 5 months after the wedding.

Anniversary

• I like these posts too.  My new was my dress, shoes, whatever, and a pair of underwear that my Mom got me with "Bride" in rhinestones.  They had a matching black pair that said "Mrs".  Anyway, blue was the blue saphire in my E-ring, old was a necklace DH gave me on our 1st "V-Day"/2 month anniversary and my borrowed was a pair of earrings from my Mom.  She bought them to go with the wedding dress and said I could just keep them after.  I said no way, cos then they weren't borrowed.  I made her wear them on a couple dates with my Dad too, so they would officially be borrowed!!  :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_something-blue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:439b0aac-a284-47aa-bf9f-ddf7ae8e781bPost:15bdecae-f2ba-40ce-86f9-47605b798618">Re: Something blue...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Something blue... : Well, that part has to do with the origin of it. But really, unless you truly believe that carrying something borrowed from a happily married woman will make your marriage better, or that <strong>not wearing something blue will make it more likely for you to be kidnapped by fairies and left naked in the woods</strong>, you're fine to combine or count whatever you like.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh please, that sounds like a Saturday night for me :P</div>
  • Thought about blue toe nail polish, but I'm wearing purple shoes, so that might look weird.

Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • In Response to Re:Something blue...:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Something blue...:In Response to Re: Something blue... : Well, that part has to do with the origin of it. But really, unless you truly believe that carrying something borrowed from a happily married woman will make your marriage better, or that not wearing something blue will make it more likely for you to be kidnapped by fairies and left naked in the woods, you're fine to combine or count whatever you like.Posted by StageManager14Oh please, that sounds like a Saturday night for me :P Posted by
    CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

Haha! I was thinking that it sounded like a good time! Or a sign the honeymoon was going well :p.

Anniversary

• I think the OP's BM's are being a little ridiculous.  When my friend got married and I was her MOH I offered her my birthstone ring (aquamarine) to stick in her bouquet as a borrowed/blue thing, but if she turned it down I wouldn't have cared.  She ended up using that and a family ring, so she had old, borrowed, and blue right in her bouquet with those rings combined.  I didn't feel like it was my "job" to give her something for that, but I offered it if she wanted it.  And she did.
    I don't think it really matters who or where the items come from, as long as they're meaningful for the bride and she wants to use them.  OP, if you want to purchase something on your own, then that's completely fine.
  • Thank you so much! I felt like if I did something wrong ;-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a blue beach glass necklace, which was my new I suppose.  I also had blue toenails.  I borrowed a gorgeous bracelet from my sister and thought I was set on the borrowed front.  Then my MIL asked if I would borrow something from her to wear, and I didn't have the heart to say no since it was the only involvement she chose to have in the wedding no matter how many things we asked her to do. . . . . little did I know it was diamond earrings made from engagement rings she got from 2 previous fiances/husbands. . . . . . good thing I don't believe in all the traditionally meanings!!!!!
  • BulgariHeartBulgariHeart member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    OP that really is ridiculous. I woulnd't appreciate being pressured into wearing something I didn't personally pick for my wedding. 
    I also heard of the rule that a bride's "somethings" need to not be part of her attire. 
    I had a number of them.. For something old I had the gold used for our wedding rings (they were custom designed and made out of some of my family's gold) and an antique Bulgari bracelet. For something blue I had a sapphire pendant that I had sewn onto the lace garter and the custom wedding dress label. Something new was my tiara and something borrowed the white nail polish I got from my BFF. 
  • I had my grandmother's wedding ring set as my something old, I considered my dress new (or basically anything else), I borrowed my MIL's earrings, and I sewed our wedding date into my slip in blue thread. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards