Registry and Gift Forum

Re: Delete

• edited December 2010
    Welcome to the boards!  

If you search the R&G board for honeymoon and/or cash registries, you'll find a plethora of information, including many who will tell you that it is rude to register for "cash" which is what both honeymoon and cash registries are ... and that honeymoon registries are really just deceptive and you don't get all the $$ because most sites take a percentage of the funds as a fee.  Plus, you're deceiving your guests if you register for such-and-such horse back riding experience, but then use the $$ on dining out instead.

Most would recommend that if you're looking for cash, you want to keep your brick-and-mortar store registries to a minimum so that people get the message that you really aren't looking for "gifts."  Most would understand that you just want cash.  Plus, your parents and BM's can tactfully pass on the information if they are asked about gifts for the couple.

FI = fiancé.  There are a ton of abbreviations for common wedding related terms people use -- click on FAQ's on the left to see the long list.

Good luck, and welcome to TK! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Cash registries are generally considered to be pretty rude. If people want to give you cash they will, if there are physical items you want, register for those at Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond or some other store.

Also, were you aware of the extra fees of 7% involved? That's pretty high, like sales tax on writing a check. The website tries to say that 7% isn't that much because your guests would otherwise have to pay taxes and shipping and all that, but in reality you'll probably have to pay sales tax on whatever you use it for so that's like paying sales tax twice.

I would never contribute to a cash registry but if I somehow did, I have to say I would be pretty ticked if I indicated I wanted to give $100 and the cost page came up as $107 (I also wouldn't be too thrilled if you took the paid-by-the-couple option I found out later you effectively never saw $7 of the money I gave).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_agreataffaircom-online-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:80df2ec5-f38c-4011-b982-c5a8ff843b51Post:0ec2780f-56ab-4703-b8f3-311d4b6376b1">AGreatAffair.com - online Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello,  This is my first time blogging!  Who knew it would take being a bride to get me started! Has anyone tryed AGreatAffair.com for online wedding registry? I am having a destination wedding on the beach in South Padre Island, TX and most guests (50 invited) will be flying in.  We will be leaving the morning after the wedding on our honeymoon. I'll be 39 and my FI (is that the lingo for Fiancee?) will be 43 - neither of us ever engaged for married before.  Based on our agee we already have most of the things that younger couples reigster for.  On AGreatAffair, we can register for things for our  honeymoon as well as electronics,<u><strong> I even saw one bride do a Home Downpayment.</strong></u> You can choose the items like Airfare, Ziplining, horse backriding, drinks by the pool and the how many say 5 and then an amount.  Some of the amount were really low like $10-$25 dollars, which I thought was nice in this economy especially since I am asking guests to fly to the wedding. Any thoughts? After reading some other blogs I think I would also pick at least one brick and mortar store, but our guests are from all over the county. Not sure is they have Macy's in Washington State.... guess I need to investigate that. Any help would be great thanks! 
    Posted by BlissfulPlenty[/QUOTE]

I think this is pretty greedy considering the current economy and how many people are struggling against foreclosure themselves.
  • Thanks everyone!  Especially Kellya01 for the FAQ's!
  • Man, you post sounds like it was written by someone working for this registry site.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now that you are not a vendor.

Honeymoon registries and especially mortgage registries are the height of rudeness.  DH and I combined two well stocked households before we got married and still managed to put together a small wedding registry for upgrades.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_agreataffaircom-online-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:80df2ec5-f38c-4011-b982-c5a8ff843b51Post:a176d926-aee4-4b1c-839f-4597729ee321">Re: AGreatAffair.com - online Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone!  Especially Kellya01 for the FAQ's!

<div>no prob.  I didn't think you sounded like a vendor, but next time just watch your wording.  The easiest way to keep from sounding like a vendor is to keep the company's name out of your subject line.  Other than that, if you're looking for reviews about companies, it's hard not to put the actual company name in the post... not sure what PP's wanted you to say instead.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Forum, not blog fyi.

I'd avoid it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_agreataffaircom-online-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:80df2ec5-f38c-4011-b982-c5a8ff843b51Post:0ec2780f-56ab-4703-b8f3-311d4b6376b1">AGreatAffair.com - online Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello,  This is my first time blogging!  Who knew it would take being a bride to get me started! Has anyone tryed AGreatAffair.com for online wedding registry? I am having a destination wedding on the beach in South Padre Island, TX and most guests (50 invited) will be flying in.  We will be leaving the morning after the wedding on our honeymoon. I'll be 39 and my FI (is that the lingo for Fiancee?) will be 43 - neither of us ever engaged for married before.  Based on our agee we already have most of the things that younger couples reigster for.  On AGreatAffair, we can register for things for our  honeymoon as well as electronics, I even saw one bride do a Home Downpayment. You can choose the items like Airfare, Ziplining, horse backriding, drinks by the pool and the how many say 5 and then an amount.  Some of the amount were really low like $10-$25 dollars, which I thought was nice in this economy especially since I am asking guests to fly to the wedding. Any thoughts? After reading some other blogs I think I would also pick at least one brick and mortar store, but our guests are from all over the county. Not sure is they have Macy's in Washington State.... guess I need to investigate that. Any help would be great thanks! 
    Thanks for posting this- i'm going to check it out!
  • Great, another distasteful cash registry!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_agreataffaircom-online-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:80df2ec5-f38c-4011-b982-c5a8ff843b51Post:504e2ab4-bd0b-4d9a-92e1-a6d7795cfbe1">Re: AGreatAffair.com - online Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I must say I am shocked at how many people were offended by my post.  I'm not a vendor, I actually work in the Real Estate industry which is perhaps why I was intrigued by the idea that someone added a home down payment to their registry. Thank you to those of you who actually posted useful advise like not mentioning a company's name (I just wanted to make sure they were legitimate and no one had been ripped off by them!)...as for some of the other comments above, I<strong> guess maybe blogging ins't for me.</strong>

Perhaps blogging is for you.  Perhaps not.  But you can't decide by this.  Because this isn't a blog.  It's a public message board.  And they're two completely different things.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards